Help with Ex 34:6-8

Rose_bud

Great is thy faithfulness, O God my Father...
Apr 9, 2010
South Africa
✟32,440.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It is a 'both and' not an 'either or'
:wave:Totally, Gods wrath is a just response to a violation of His Holiness. As to the post, I see this passage through a lens of love, that even though the Israelites would be sent into exile for their idolatry, God was giving Jeremiah a hopeful sign that they would return, (the title deed in the clay pots) Jeremiah 32:13-15. Jeremiah prays appealing to the character of Gods love and justice.

Jeremiah 32:18-19 You show loving devotion to thousands but lay the iniquity of the fathers into the laps of their children after them, O great and mighty God whose name is the LORD of Hosts, the One great in counsel and mighty in deed, whose eyes are on all the ways of the sons of men, to reward each one according to his ways and according to the fruit of his deeds.

Their failure to uphold the treaty they signed with God, resulted in their exile. But God is just in his divine wrath but His mercy transcends... Most commentaries highlight the literary style of the author contrasting Gods graciousness and mercy to the thousands compared to the discipline exacted against the third and forth. I agree with this, its consistent with Gods dealing with all of humanity especially in light of the forgiveness and love we have received in Christ:clap:. His love outweighs...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,562.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:wave:Totally, Gods wrath is a just response to a violation of His Holiness. As to the post, I see this passage through a lens of love, that even though the Israelites would be sent into exile for their idolatry, God was giving Jeremiah a hopeful sign that they would return, (the title deed in the clay pots) Jeremiah 32:13-15. Jeremiah prays appealing to the character of Gods love and justice.

Jeremiah 32:18-19 You show loving devotion to thousands but lay the iniquity of the fathers into the laps of their children after them, O great and mighty God whose name is the LORD of Hosts, the One great in counsel and mighty in deed, whose eyes are on all the ways of the sons of men, to reward each one according to his ways and according to the fruit of his deeds.

Their failure to uphold the treaty they signed with God, resulted in their exile. But God is just in his divine wrath but His mercy transcends... Most commentaries highlight the literary style of the author contrasting Gods graciousness and mercy to the thousands compared to the discipline exacted against the third and forth. I agree with this, its consistent with Gods dealing with all of humanity especially in light of the forgiveness and love we have received in Christ:clap:. His love outweighs...

Yes what you say is very important - particularly in the light of matters concerning the Jews today.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Friends - Does this principle apply to believers in the New Covenant - please give Scriptural support for you understanding.

Exodus 34

6 Then the Lord passed by in front of him and proclaimed, “The Lord, the Lord God, compassionate and merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in faithfulness and truth; 7 who keeps faithfulness for thousands, who forgives wrongdoing, violation of His Law, and sin; yet He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished, inflicting the punishment of fathers on the children and on the grandchildren to the third and fourth generations.” 8 And Moses hurried to bow low toward the ground and worship.

All responses appreciated.
its all about process of a son becoming clean as in acceptable

Each generation lives in the narrative they define (as each individual does ) blending and mixing their perception with that which was before them but at the same time trying to break away from the bondage they perceive the last generation to be snared by, only to become this same thing to the next generation, and often becoming the very thing they despised in the first place.

Job only saw his grand children to the fourth generation ...

But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full

Daniel 3:24-26 speaks to this

ps: the word four in Hebrew is dalet which means door

I am the door. If anyone enters in by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and will go out and will find pasture.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟693,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Friends - Does this principle apply to believers in the New Covenant - please give Scriptural support for you understanding.

Exodus 34

6 Then the Lord passed by in front of him and proclaimed, “The Lord, the Lord God, compassionate and merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in faithfulness and truth; 7 who keeps faithfulness for thousands, who forgives wrongdoing, violation of His Law, and sin; yet He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished, inflicting the punishment of fathers on the children and on the grandchildren to the third and fourth generations.” 8 And Moses hurried to bow low toward the ground and worship.

Jeremiah 31:27-30

The days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when I will plant the kingdoms of Israel and Judah with the offspring of people and of animals. 28 Just as I watched over them to uproot and tear down, and to overthrow, destroy and bring disaster, so I will watch over them to build and to plant,” declares the Lord. 29 “In those days people will no longer say,

‘The parents have eaten sour grapes,
and the children’s teeth are set on edge
.’

30 Instead, everyone will die for their own sin; whoever eats sour grapes—their own teeth will be set on edge.

^^^
No. The Exodus passage doesn't apply under the New Covenant.

^^^ nice little teaching on the topic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟523,932.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Exodus 34

No, does not apply to NT believers.
In looking ahead to the fulfillment of the work of the Messiah the LORD says these words to Jeremiah:

Jeremiah 31:29-32:
29 “In those days people will no longer say,

‘The parents have eaten sour grapes,
and the children’s teeth are set on edge.’
30 Instead, everyone will die for their own sin; whoever eats sour grapes—their own teeth will be set on edge.

31 “The days are coming,” declares the Lord,
“when I will make a new covenant
with the people of Israel
and with the people of Judah.
32 It will not be like the covenant
I made with their ancestors
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,
because they broke my covenant,
though I was a husband to them,”
declares the Lord.

Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

Veni

Jul 6, 2022
Kuala Lumpur
✟18,305.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So we seem to agree that as far as judgement goes there is no transfer of guilt across generations in the New Covenant.

However that does not mean a next generation cannot be affected by the sins of the previous - correct ???
Agreed

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,562.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can we have a few more comments on Post #27 please.

I repeat it here.

====================================================

So we seem to agree that as far as judgement goes there is no transfer of guilt across generations in the New Covenant.

However that does not mean a next generation cannot be affected by the sins of the previous - correct ???

====================================================

Upvote 0

I's2C

Aug 28, 2021
North Platte
✟35,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Exodus 34

Exo 34:7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.
It simply means that if people don't turn from their ways and still commit the sins their fathers did such as idolatry that they would continue in punishments of that sin; Ill go a step further, even if they still practice idolatry for 100 generations and not turn from it, they will get the same punishment their fathers did. GOD never changes and HIS punishments don't change either. If you are thinking that someone gets punishment for what their fathers did, that is not what is meant, for if they turn from the sins of their fathers and to GOD they will be forgiven and even blessed.

Upvote 0