Florida
✟15,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I just found out by daughter considers herself bi. She is only 14. The rule for our house is that she is not allowed to date till she is 18. Thankful I made this rule. I am a conservative Christian. She is a very emotional kid. Would love prayer and wisdom on how to handle this. She 100% knows I love her unconditionally...and yes...I told her this after I found out also.

I have so much to say. I went through a rough childhood. My mother had been married 10 times. I was molested multiple times through my childhood. I was raped as a young adult. My first love cheated on me. My husband of 17 years cheated on me and left me to raise 3 kids. I managed to get through all this with strong faith. I’m losing faith. I also need prayers that I don’t lose faith.

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
My son keeps saying he's an atheist. This disturbs me very much. He'll argue circles around me as to why he's right. I realized that all I could do was pray for him. There is power in prayer. And I don't expect things to change overnight as there's a lot of pressure from society to be atheist. I will continue to pray the rosary for him and his wife. (His children do go to church with me and I'm grateful for that.)
I wish I could have some advise for you on this subject, but I haven't had much experience with it.

Upvote 0

Hope3

Jun 20, 2021
Florida
✟15,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Thank you for your reply. This has been my thought also. Right now, this may be all I can do. For the atheist thing...I actually did go through a time that I lost my faith. It had nothing to do with my trials. I actually just did not believe in God anymore. I had a few people praying for me. I also continued to pray and said if YOU do exist....Please Help Me to believe. I came out stronger...It took a few years of prayers....but my faith was stronger after. Prayers for your son.

Upvote 0

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟141,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Some people say they are bisexual to be an LGBT ally or to fight what they consider to be a homophobic society. It's seen by many as virtuous to say you are bisexual even if you've never dated someone of the same sex and probably never will. I'm not saying she is lying necessairily but she may be motivated to label herself that because others are doing so.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟417,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Our modern society is glorifying homosexuality so it is little wonder that even our kids are falling for the lies of the Devil.

Keep them in Scripture and church and Sunday school. The Lord remains ultimately in control, and Scripture tells us to raise a child in His ways, and in older age they shall not depart from the path. Sometimes that time in between is torturous for a parent, but faith in the Lord is our best hope.

Upvote 0

Hope3

Jun 20, 2021
Florida
✟15,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Some people say they are bisexual to be an LGBT ally or to fight what they consider to be a homophobic society. It's seen by many as virtuous to say you are bisexual even if you've never dated someone of the same sex and probably never will. I'm not saying she is lying necessairily but she may be motivated to label herself that because others are doing so.

Yes! I have thought about this. She says somedays she feels like being a boy and some days she feels like she wants to be a girl. She said she likes both boys and girls. Her brother has quite a few friends from the gay community. I pray this is just a phase. She developed faster than a lot of girls, and she feels very uncomfortable in her skin right now. She wants me to call her by a different name. I told her that right now, not to be disrespectful to her, but I needed sometime. I told her I love her unconditionally. I told her I wanted to do some research on how best to handle this from a Christian perspective.

Upvote 0

Hope3

Jun 20, 2021
Florida
✟15,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Our modern society is glorifying homosexuality so it is little wonder that even our kids are falling for the lies of the Devil.

Keep them in Scripture and church and Sunday school. The Lord remains ultimately in control, and Scripture tells us to raise a child in His ways, and in older age they shall not depart from the path. Sometimes that time in between is torturous for a parent, but faith in the Lord is our best hope.

Yes! We stopped watching Supergirl because of this. Ugh! Yes! Thank you!

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,489.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes! I have thought about this. She says somedays she feels like being a boy and some days she feels like she wants to be a girl. She said she likes both boys and girls. Her brother has quite a few friends from the gay community. I pray this is just a phase. She developed faster than a lot of girls, and she feels very uncomfortable in her skin right now. She wants me to call her by a different name. I told her that right now, not to be disrespectful to her, but I needed sometime. I told her I love her unconditionally. I told her I wanted to do some research on how best to handle this from a Christian perspective.
She is 14! She is just entering puberty.Remind her that she is fearfully and wonderfully made and that She is loved by God most high.He thinks she is to die for!

• Agree
Reactions: Hope3
Upvote 0

Hope3

Jun 20, 2021
Florida
✟15,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
She is 14! She is just entering puberty.Remind her that she is fearfully and wonderfully made and that She is loved by God most high.He thinks she is to die for!

Great minds think alike. I actually quoted her that verse. Thank you so much.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟141,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I feel bad for kids and teens growing up now. It's a very confusing time with all the messages in the media. All I can say is that it might be a phase, or something she is being lead to believe by others, and she could realize that at some point. It sounds like you're doing your best by being a Christian example for her.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just found out by daughter considers herself bi. She is only 14. The rule for our house is that she is not allowed to date till she is 18. Thankful I made this rule. I am a conservative Christian. She is a very emotional kid. Would love prayer and wisdom on how to handle this. She 100% knows I love her unconditionally...and yes...I told her this after I found out also.

I have so much to say. I went through a rough childhood. My mother had been married 10 times. I was molested multiple times through my childhood. I was raped as a young adult. My first love cheated on me. My husband of 17 years cheated on me and left me to raise 3 kids. I managed to get through all this with strong faith. I’m losing faith. I also need prayers that I don’t lose faith.
Something to remember.

As bad as you might feel right now, if your daughter feels any better, it's only because you have helped her to understand that your love is not conditional.

All kids want at her age is to be like their friends. No kid wants to feel different, but sometimes they do. You should realize that when she first had an inkling of what she's told you, that she was likely terrified that her life was over, that she had nothing really to look forward to. You sound like you have assured her that she will always have you, ... no matter how things turn out for her.

It is early for her, and it sounds like she might have more to sort out than most kids her age do. Continue to reassure her that all will be well for her ... and that she just needs to wait ... and let God have His way. Let her continue to be a child as much as possible. She doesn't need to make any decisions right now, ... these can come later, if at all. She needs to concentrate on her studies ... and to be able to bask in the warmth of her family.

Try your hardest to not ostracize her ... or to make her feel unwelcome. Many times, feeling that they have no welcome place at home ... will drive these young people into the arms of those who, at best, have no good advice for them.

Keep your daughter close. She will always be your daughter.

And stay close to the Lord. Your daughter's way ... and thus, your way ... will be a bit more difficult, ... but God can bring you through. Trust in Him.

Be strong ... and be a good example for your daughter. She needs you more than ever now ...

Upvote 0

Hope3

Jun 20, 2021
Florida
✟15,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Something to remember.

As bad as you might feel right now, if your daughter feels any better, it's only because you have helped her to understand that your love is not conditional.

All kids want at her age is to be like their friends. No kid wants to feel different, but sometimes they do. You should realize that when she first had an inkling of wh'at she's told you, that she was likely terrified that her life was over, that she had nothing really to look forward to. You sound like you have assured her that she will always have you, ... no matter how things turn out for her.

It is early for her, and it sounds like she might have more to sort out than most kids her age do. Continue to reassure her that all will be well for her ... and that she just needs to wait ... and let God have His way. Let her continue to be a child as much as possible. She doesn't need to make any decisions right now, ... these can come later, if at all. She needs to concentrate on her studies ... and to be able to bask in the warmth of her family.

Try your hardest to not ostracize her ... or to make her feel unwelcome. Many times, feeling that they have no welcome place at home ... will drive these young people into the arms of those who, at best, have no good advice for them.

Keep your daughter close. She will always be your daughter.

And stay close to the Lord. Your daughter's way ... and thus, your way ... will be a bit more difficult, ... but God can bring you through. Trust in Him.

Be strong ... and be a good example for your daughter. She needs you more than ever now ...

Thank you! She had not planned on telling me. She wanted to wait until she finished high school in 4 years. I found out, because she told her two best friends. One of the moms found out and told me that she felt I needed to search out my daughter’s phone. I asked my daughter to let me see her phone. She went into panic mode. I asked her what I would see if I looked at her phone. So she told me.

She feels better knowing that I love her and not disappointed in her. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A lot of young people go through these feelings; especially with transgenderism thrown all over the place now. I would not call her by a different name. I would keep loving her, praying for her, and spending time with her.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hope3

Jun 20, 2021
Florida
✟15,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
/
A lot of young people go through these feelings; especially with transgenderism thrown all over the place now. I would not call her by a different name. I would keep loving her, praying for her, and spending time with her.

Thank you!

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like your daughter is going through a lot right now. Figuring out what one's adult sexuality is going to look like is hard for everyone (I remember my teenage years!), and she's right in the middle of that. Plus, she's just had an experience where she spoke in confidence to a trusted friend, and then the news leaked from the friend to one mom to another mom -- I'd be pretty shaken by that, not knowing whom I could trust.

My recommendation is to be a person she can trust -- to listen, and love, and keep her confidences. If you're lucky, you'll be someone she can talk to about her confusions and joyful romances and sorrowful breakups. Her best friends will still probably hear her news first -- that's how it goes -- but if she knows that mom is a person who's safe to come to and confide in and cry with, that will mean a lot.

Upvote 0

Hope3

Jun 20, 2021
Florida
✟15,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
It sounds like your daughter is going through a lot right now. Figuring out what one's adult sexuality is going to look like is hard for everyone (I remember my teenage years!), and she's right in the middle of that. Plus, she's just had an experience where she spoke in confidence to a trusted friend, and then the news leaked fromthe friend to one mom to another mom -- I'd be pretty shaken by that, not knowing whom I could trust.

My recommendation is to be a person she can trust -- to listen, and love, and keep her confidences. If you're lucky, you'll be someone she can talk to about her confusions and joyful romances and sorrowful breakups. Her best friends will still probably hear her news first -- that's how it goes -- but if she knows that mom is a person who's safe to come to and confide in and cry with, that will mean a lot.

Thank you! Great advice.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I have a 19 year old son who identifies as an "Ace". (asexual). He has epilepsy and other various developmental issues; so his choices in life right now make sense for him.

We've had lots of conversations in the past 3 to 4 years about the whole homosexuality and transgender social agenda. And make no mistake; it is an agenda. (But that's another issue.)

Anyways, my son talked about having friends who identified as gay and I found that some strategic; but well pointed questions, to find out if he knew what that actually meant were quite enlightening.

A lot of kids repeat stuff that they don't even know what it means. A couple of his friends / classmates were doing this too. One of them at about 13 years old had said he was gay and when I asked him about it; I found out that he actually had no idea what that meant. This other boy whom he'd said was also gay had been the victim of a pedophile. (There's a lot of that going on around this too.)

A fourth classmate / friend of my son was coming over telling us he was bisexual too. And when I questioned him about it; I did find out that he actually knew what it meant and was also the victim of a pedophile. He'd told my son that his boyfriend was one of the people who ran a local gaming store. (He wasn't the store owner; he was an employee, but he was an adult and this kid at the time was 14.)

Before we found out about this; he kept wanting my son to go over to this store.... when it was closed.. ????? And I got suspicious real quick. This kid got a little upset when I told him that my son wasn't going over there with out me going over there with him; because I wanted to know what was going on over there .... when it was closed????

In the end, this kid was telling my son this store employee was his boyfriend. My son had actually recorded part of that conversation on his phone. They were outside playing with squirt guns and the kid suddenly got all paranoid when he thought one of the neighbors heard him say he was bi. So when they came in the house and the kid kept harping on being bisexual; that's when I confronted him about this relationship of his. And I flat out told him where we stood on this as a moral issue.

Well he ran home crying and his mother texted me and was [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]ed at me for "hurting her son's feelings". A couple of days after this; my son had a counseling appointment where he'd disclosed to the counselor that this had happened and what was recorded on his cell phone. At that point we decided to call the police and we made a report. This opened a CPS case; which that family had been subject to several CPS cases because for some "strange" reason; the kids all "kept getting sexually abused".

So yeah, my first piece of advise to any parent is to first find out if your child really understands what this stuff means.

Delineate if they know the difference between having a friend who's the same gender who they may feel really close to; (first example with the one kid) and that being homosexual means wanting to have sex with them. It's an uncomfortable conversation for many adults; but kids need to be armed with as much accurate information as they can handle at what ever age they are.

Feeling preferences for people of the same gender is a developmental thing. Some of it has to do with psychology of gender identity; which is a stage all children go through. First they have to identify with a gender trying to determine their own (that usually happens between 2 and 4 years old) and then they go through the phase of trying to understand what it means to be a boy or a girl. (That's usually 5 to 8 years old.) All of that is psych-developmental and this is where a lot of parents in particular get caught off guard because they don't understand this is a normal developmental stage. So the kid comes home at 12 years old (or younger) and says "I'm gay!" And the parent says - Wait a minute what.... ??? And parents don't know how to handle the gender identity thing because they are not aware that it's a real developmental phase.

I went through this with my son when he was 7. I'd found him in his room one day trying to pull his genitalia off his body because he said he didn't want to be a boy; he'd rather be a girl. He said he wanted to be a girl because "boys are mean"; which actually had nothing to do with "gender identity" but more to do with how his father was treating him. (There are social issues that layer on top of these things too.)

So at that point I talked to my son about "being nice / being mean" did not have anything to do with what gender one was; but was more a moral issue of the individual's accountability before God. God requires the same standard of kindness and compassion from all of us; regardless of being male or female. Than I gave him examples of male teachers that he liked and he could identify that these teachers were kind and other men he knew that he believed were wise; and that the way his dad was acting had nothing to do with gender. The light clicked on and he "got it". Never had an issue with being a boy again. Sometimes the answer is that simple; but as the parent, I don't think it's wise to "let it fester" in the kid and "hope it goes away".

I was always very direct with my son. When he came home in 2nd grade "talking smack" about sex of things he heard other kids saying; I sat him down with a birthing book that actually had photos of babies developing in the womb, the process of child birth; how babies come about. And I explained it all to him in the simplest terms he could understand. We also talked about having respect for our bodies. We don't use derogatory language about men, women and their genitals.

So now the kid armed with correct information felt adequate to address the childishness of what was going on in school. It wasn't any big deal to him because now he knew what it was.

Which, getting back to the kids as they got older; I realized that a lot of them didn't really understand this stuff because their parents never sat down and explained it to them. (What a travesty.) School was not going to fill my kid's head with ideas that were the wrong information.

In the case of the first kid that I'd asked him if he knew what homosexuality actually was; he didn't even know what that meant. When he told me that he was close to this friend but no, didn't want to have sex with him. And he did know technically what sex was at that point. But he'd had no experience. (Which was good.) Suddenly, another kid was armed with correct information! When his mom heard about this; she'd decided that it was prudent to keep a closer eye on him and his other friend because she'd known this friend had been the victim of a pedophile.

A lot of this, I found came to be about protecting our own kids as well as kids in the neighborhood.

Now I know boys perceive things differently and process their emotions different than girls do. But I still advocate for parents being the ones who give their kid correct information before they hear the lies from someone else.

Latter high school age; due to his medical issues, my son was homeschooled and had district provided tutors; so he wasn't around a lot of the nonsense other teenagers are exposed to. Which at this point, I'm very grateful for!

So @Hope3 - So, not sure if you find any of this information / story on how I dealt with this stuff useful? But keep gathering information and don't be afraid to give your daughter the truth.

I'll be praying for you guys.

Upvote 0