• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Help choosing a holiness denomination + finding a liturgical parish

Discussion in 'Wesley's Parish - Methodist/ Nazarene' started by DeFyYing, Nov 25, 2020.

1. DeFyYing

DeFyYing New Member

+2
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    If I were to become a Methodist, idk which type I should be. At first I was leaning towards UMC because of their liturgical side but idk since they are in full communion with the ELCA and are becoming very socially liberal. Then I was looking into Free Methodism but the closest one is like 45 minutes away, and it's very low church style. Nazarenes sound interesting and I've heard that some are liturgical, but I'm a little hesitant because of the history of dancing and alcohol. And I can't find anything about the Wesleyan church.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Basil the Great

Basil the Great Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,546
    Christian
    Private
    US-Green
    I know little about the Wesleyan Church, but my guess is that they are probably a lot like the Free Methodists and the Nazarenes. Besides, all three denominations are probably pretty small and you might not find them close to you. As far the the UMC, those in the South are probably more conservative than in the rest of the country. This might also apply to the rural sections of the Plains states, like ND, SD, NE and KS. If you live on either coast or in the urban/suburban Midwest, then I am not sure what to tell you. Personally, I would not worry about the full communion with the ELCA. Unless and until the UMC makes a final decision allowing gay marriage and gay pastors, then I think that their full communion with the ELCA is not a major factor.

3. bekkilyn

bekkilyn Contemplative Christian Supporter

+6,082
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    US-Others
    I'd suggest just going to visit the different Methodist/Wesleyan churches in your area. Even within the same denominations, two congregations can be very different from one another. The internet is good about lumping everyone within a denomination together as if everyone is the same, but it couldn't be further from the truth. Even when it comes to being liturgical, some are going to be higher and others are going to be lower. You're not going to really know until you actually set foot in a particular church and check it out. Don't just go by what you "hear" online. Go to the actual church. (Or attend online if that's all they're having right now because of the pandemic.)