HELP! Can my church do this??

patrice_kell

Sep 18, 2003
north carolina
Visit site
✟211.00
Faith
Methodist
I don't think that any church should do that. I am a single parent and a full time student without a job. I am a member of a methodist church here and I don't have any money to give, but I do give my time. My pastor is very understanding about my situation. I do a lot for my church so I don't feel so bad about not having any money. When I am out of school and employed it will be a different story. When I have money to give I will surely give. My feelings would be very hurt if there were things that I could not do in my church because of the simple fact that I am broke. When I joined the church every one knew that I didn't have any money to give. If they had not let me join becuse of it, I must say that I would have had to find another church. Your friend will be in my prayers. I can only imagine how this all must be making her feel.

Upvote 0

Follower of Christ

Literal 6 Day Creationist<br />''An Evening and a
Mar 12, 2003
✟7,754.00
Faith
Christian
goodgirl said:
ok, posting this here (sorry) because I would like as wide a selection of opinions as possible.

Someone at my church, a new member, has been barred from voting for the vestry, because she hasn't made a financial pledge to the church. Now the fact that this person is unemployed shouldn't even matter. She was told she is "not a member" until she donates.

It's an Episcopal church.. but I think stewardship means more than money, and besides as far as I know the only requirements for membership are salvation, baptism and confirmation. ??

tell me pro or con what you think of this. I know tithing is important but this seems coercive to me.
While I agree that fellwoshipping is of the utmost importance, sometimes we need to wtihdraw from the mainstream ''big business'' type of church.

I understand your concerns and trust me, i have seen and heard of far worse things than what you describe in churches using our Lords name for sordid gain.

You question, that is the first step.
Now look into your NT and see if this is the example given anywhere in it.

OT tithing has changed to ''GIVING with a cheelful heart''

But I say this, He who sows sparingly shall also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully shall also reap bountifully. Each one, as he purposes in his heart, let him give; not of grief, or of necessity, for God loves a cheerful giver.
(2Co 9:6-7)
We give what we can and we give it cheerfully or it really doesnt accomplish much with God.

It sounds, dear sister, as if maybe keeping your eye out for another group of beleivers to fellowship with might be a good option.

Upvote 0

seangoh

Veteran
Dec 10, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
✟16,661.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Jesus came down to fulfill the requirements of the law. IOW, He came to show us how to keep the law. The strict religious teachers of that day tried hard to keep the letter of the law but Jesus came to emphasize the spiritual side of it too. When you murder, it's not just an action that it is murder, it is hatred towards a brother that is enough to be counted as murder. So if there is any issue, we should always err on the side of grace. Jesus showered grace on the people he met and that's what moved alot of people.

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
goodgirl said:
ok, posting this here (sorry) because I would like as wide a selection of opinions as possible.

Someone at my church, a new member, has been barred from voting for the vestry, because she hasn't made a financial pledge to the church. Now the fact that this person is unemployed shouldn't even matter. She was told she is "not a member" until she donates.

It's an Episcopal church.. but I think stewardship means more than money, and besides as far as I know the only requirements for membership are salvation, baptism and confirmation. ??

tell me pro or con what you think of this. I know tithing is important but this seems coercive to me.
There is an old saying "walk a mile in someone else's shoes before judging them." It may be that the leadership at your church is dead wrong about this policy. However, is it really your place to dispuite their policy?? I think this falls into the catagory of small issues and if your leadership at your church is doing a good job on the basic ministry stuff , then I say don't make their job harder over this. Church leadership can be a tough and discouraging job.
If you want to help this woman, then perhaps you or some other like-minded persons could offer to contribute out of your funds to pay her pledge for her?? Doing that might just open doors to other good things as well.
Having been a leader in a church myself , I have experienced all too often the harsh criticism that comes over every decision. It is difficult to get 100% agreement on most policy decisions. I say the issue of loving and supporting your leadership overrides any error they may have made over such a small issue. Better for you to play the role of peacemaker.

Upvote 0

goodgirl

Dec 10, 2002
Visit site
✟8,947.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yitzhak,

I understand where you're coming from w/the talk about not being discouraging. Actually the rector and I are pretty good friends. It's not a matter of paying the woman's pledge for her -- the rector has agreed to make an exception for her. My feeling is that the policy itself is flawed and damages the credibility of the church. Episcopal churches certainly can't afford to lose even more credibility among believers at this time! And from what I read here and from the opinions of my other friends (who the affected lady has told about this), I'm right. It has damaged my church's credibility already, and at least 3 people who were considering joining are no longer considering it.

I'm trying to be the peacemaker, by helping fix this. anyhow, I'm trying to talk about it w/the rector but it's a busy time of year. The annual parish mtg is coming up and I'm nervous bc I know my friend will be there and will call him out in front of everyone. I wish she wouldn't but I know she hates hypocrisy and sees him as two-faced. I think she's wrong... I hope so.

So... pray for me bc I'm gonna try to get them to work it out this week... at least I hope for a meeting between my friend and rector. I don't want this to get public.

Upvote 0

goodgirl

Dec 10, 2002
Visit site
✟8,947.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
well, talked to the rector who said apparently the whole thing was a mistake... and that the lady's letter hadn't transferred in time for her to vote, and that the "policy" was in fact some people making a mistake. So the lady is to get a letter of apology from the rector, and he's bringing the issue up at a vestry meeting to ensure that the policies of membership are clarified to everyone. Apparently the policy had been discussed but never voted on.

So.. please pray that the measure never gets passed... but at least for now, it turns out not to be an issue. :)

Upvote 0