• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

HelenaQueens

Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2024
Delaware
✟9,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi! I'm new to the forum as a member, but I've been reading for awhile. I just wanted to say that you have all been a great encouragement to me. I felt as if I was the only one going through all this and that I was a terrible Christian for having this struggle with scrupulosity, but you have helped show me that those feelings aren't true, even though they shriek that they are. I hope to post more as I can, but I wanted to start off with a thank you!

Reactions: DJWhalen

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi! I'm new to the forum as a member, but I've been reading for awhile. I just wanted to say that you have all been a great encouragement to me. I felt as if I was the only one going through all this and that I was a terrible Christian for having this struggle with scrupulosity, but you have helped show me that those feelings aren't true, even though they shriek that they are. I hope to post more as I can, but I wanted to start off with a thank you!
So glad you are here! I'm glad you have found some encouragement. Do you have any help for your scrupulosity, such as therapy or other people or resources to help you?

Upvote 0

HelenaQueens

Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2024
Delaware
✟9,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I have a therapist that I have been seeing for years. She doesn’t specialize in ocd so we’ve been kind of learning together how to handle this. I’ve been going through a great workbook called “ Facing OCD with the Mind of Christ” by Terri Lewis and that has been very helpful. I am trying to learn to ignore the OCD, but it is hard because it scares me so badly at times, such as telling me that I don’t believe in God or that my faith is too weak to please Him or that I’ve committed an unforgivable sin or other horrible statements. And it is difficult not to panic and go for my compulsions when they hit because to me it is a matter of eternal life and death. But everything I see and hear tells me that ignoring the intrusive thoughts and not engaging/arguing with them is what will work in the long run. It is just that it is so very terrifying to do so. But I need to trust the process and I need to trust God Himself.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I have a therapist that I have been seeing for years. She doesn’t specialize in ocd so we’ve been kind of learning together how to handle this. I’ve been going through a great workbook called “ Facing OCD with the Mind of Christ” by Terri Lewis and that has been very helpful. I am trying to learn to ignore the OCD, but it is hard because it scares me so badly at times, such as telling me that I don’t believe in God or that my faith is too weak to please Him or that I’ve committed an unforgivable sin or other horrible statements. And it is difficult not to panic and go for my compulsions when they hit because to me it is a matter of eternal life and death. But everything I see and hear tells me that ignoring the intrusive thoughts and not engaging/arguing with them is what will work in the long run. It is just that it is so very terrifying to do so. But I need to trust the process and I need to trust God Himself.
I am so glad that you are getting some help, and have a supportive husband! I don't know if this would be helpful, but here are some links to websites, and some book titles about religious OCD:
Blog - Scrupulosity.com
Mental Health - ACCFS
Breaking Free of OCD: My Battle With Mental Pain and How God Rescued Me by Jeff Wells
Strivings Within - The OCD Christian: Overcoming Doubt in the Storm of Anxiety by Mitzi VanCleve
Christianity and Anxiety Disorders (private Facebook support group)

Upvote 0