Hello, questions about speaking in tongues?

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I never said it was against forum rules to have a private conversation.

And being raised and confirmed Catholic doesn’t qualify one to speak authoritatively in Church teaching if the person in question no longer identifies as Catholic.

But, carry on in your private message.
Your implication was clear.

In my experience I know more about the RCC view on this better than most Catholics. I live in a highly RCC area and often get questions about it, I have studied this closely of respect for the church.

Upvote 0

Kim_Marie

Mar 29, 2020
Tacoma
✟9,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Kim if you're in fact a Catholic like your faith tag suggests, be sure that you maintain fidelity to the Church's teachings on such things and be wary of input from those who aren't Catholic. Beyond the most important fact that you're almost guaranteed to receive heterodox teaching on the matter from someone who isn't Catholic, it's also against the rules of this subforum that anybody who isn't Catholic come in and solicit teachings that aren't Catholic.
Oh wow thank you for the info I was not aware.

Upvote 0

Kim_Marie

Mar 29, 2020
Tacoma
✟9,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
You will get many opinions on this. Some say speaking in tongues is necessary for Christians. Various Pentecostal denominations might say that. Others say it's of the devil. Baptists tend to say that. I suggest a cautious middle way. That there is something valid to it but also that there are counterfeits. I think avoiding the counterfeits is important, as is any sort of 'training' in speaking in tongues. It should never be something you can turn on like water from a faucet. It is, when genuine, the Holy Spirit breaking through our thick skulls to bring us into prayer. It is not something Elmer Gantry would know a thing about.

The modern origins of the charismatic movement started in response to the terrifying vision of pope Leo XIII, who called for prayers for an outpouring of the Holy Spirit at the dawn of the 20th century. But the Holy Spirit has never been fully out of commission in the long history of the Catholic Church. So we can accept speaking in tongues as normal, as Catholic, as good. But carefully avoiding the craziness that some Protestants are in to like 'holy laughter' which makes no sense at all.

If you are speaking in tongues, do not neglect the other more standard aspects of your spiritual growth. Standardized prayers and mental prayer, confession and spiritual direction, Bible reading and spiritual reading, the Liturgy of the Hours, Mass (even daily) when it's available, all of that. Be thankful for what you have been given, particularly if it is accompanied by tears. Anybody can make noises. Anybody can do weird and undignified things. Avoid that. But if the Holy Spirit hits you on the head with prayer in tongues, then humbly go with it. For a while, until the next time. Avoiding counterfeits, which are out there.
I spoke to my local priest about it once and he gave me the simple advice of, keep following the sacraments and commandments given to you, go about your life as usual, and don't obsess too much or try to read into it. Ask for guidance and understanding and like you said standard prayers, bible reading, all of that. None of what has happened to me personally has been counterfeit. No "holy laughter" . Just simple praises generally and sort of a suspense of the outside world and a deep focus on God. It is never something I anticipate- it always is something that happens of its own will, never mine. Also to be sort of blunt- typically this happens while I am alone, so if I wanted to look "holy" in the eyes of others and act as if I was speaking in tongues, I would do so where others can see me.
As you have written it can be hard to find information on this and for the last several years I havent told anyone out of concern I was some how psychotic, demon possessed or something somehow bad and I have carried a lot of shame and guilt.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,239,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I spoke to my local priest about it once and he gave me the simple advice of, keep following the sacraments and commandments given to you, go about your life as usual, and don't obsess too much or try to read into it. Ask for guidance and understanding and like you said standard prayers, bible reading, all of that. None of what has happened to me personally has been counterfeit. No "holy laughter" . Just simple praises generally and sort of a suspense of the outside world and a deep focus on God. It is never something I anticipate- it always is something that happens of its own will, never mine. Also to be sort of blunt- typically this happens while I am alone, so if I wanted to look "holy" in the eyes of others and act as if I was speaking in tongues, I would do so where others can see me.
As you have written it can be hard to find information on this and for the last several years I havent told anyone out of concern I was some how psychotic, demon possessed or something somehow bad and I have carried a lot of shame and guilt.
What you have described seems to be genuine. The Spirit moves and we pray. Sometimes God puts it in our minds to pray for a particular person, and that sometimes in the middle of the night. I think that is a gift, and I try to respond. Once I prayed and found out later the person dies at that same time. Wild.

I do not think shame or guilt are appropriate, just as pride and boasting are not appropriate. When the Holy Spirit comes, test what's happening, and if it is good then retain it. Don't let it be even as much as 50% of your spirituality but don't force it to be 0% either.

Mental prayer, by which I mean anything not standardized is also always good.

And while I've got you, please pray for me. I'm in a rough patch at the moment having just accepted an offer on my home and I am not supposed to travel to be able to buy the new one. Seems a conundrum. I'm at a loss, that's for sure.

Upvote 0

Kim_Marie

Mar 29, 2020
Tacoma
✟9,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
What you have described seems to be genuine. The Spirit moves and we pray. Sometimes God puts it in our minds to pray for a particular person, and that sometimes in the middle of the night. I think that is a gift, and I try to respond. Once I prayed and found out later the person dies at that same time. Wild.

I do not think shame or guilt are appropriate, just as pride and boasting are not appropriate. When the Holy Spirit comes, test what's happening, and if it is good then retain it. Don't let it be even as much as 50% of your spirituality but don't force it to be 0% either.

Mental prayer, by which I mean anything not standardized is also always good.

And while I've got you, please pray for me. I'm in a rough patch at the moment having just accepted an offer on my home and I am not supposed to travel to be able to buy the new one. Seems a conundrum. I'm at a loss, that's for sure.
wow tha'ts quite the coincidence for sure.. i hope your friend as alright. The past several years I have tried to find a way to balance, before I tried to ignore it 100% and pretend nothing happened, now I let it come and go and retain what I can, and still go about my other activities. I will keep you in my prayers that sounds so frustrating...

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,239,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
wow tha'ts quite the coincidence for sure.. i hope your friend as alright. The past several years I have tried to find a way to balance, before I tried to ignore it 100% and pretend nothing happened, now I let it come and go and retain what I can, and still go about my other activities. I will keep you in my prayers that sounds so frustrating...
This was several years ago. I didn't even know he was sick. He died that night I prayed, so I think he is doing alright now, probably having died well. I feel honored to have known him and consoled that he died with the prayers of others. I try to be open to any urge to pray. I hope I do not miss the chance to do so too often.

Praying in tongues is, I am convinced, a good thing. But there are Pentecostal excesses that are to be avoided as counterfeit. And the subtle trap I have heard of where one trains oneself to speak in tongues. Anybody can make noises that way. But the Holy Spirit is more like Moses and the burning bush, not sought but found.

Reactions: Kim_Marie
Upvote 0