Hello, questions about speaking in tongues?

Kim_Marie

Mar 29, 2020
Tacoma
✟9,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Good evening,
I am trying to learn more about this phenomenon and wanted to possibly hear what others have to say about it. Also I have some more pressing personal queries but if anyone is nice enough to ask, I could talk about it in a private message. I spoke to my local priest about it a while back but since this virus has been going around, things have been more stressful and I haven't been able to receive the sacraments let alone speak to someone in person. Feeling a bit lonely and sad, thankful there is still adoration but you know.. I always felt very shy about that which has kept me from going.

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I have a different opinion of "tongues" than Charismatics, but I don't intend to start an argument.

I've been to churches that stressed them. I went forward and was told that if you don't receive the "gift" it is because there is sin in your life. I haven't met any sinless people. And, no, I don't speak in tongues except in German "nur ein bisschen." I knew a woman who believed she had the gift of tongues; when she prayed she sounded like a cooing dove. That didn't make sense.

The tongues at Pentecost I believe were non-native languages.

Acts 2
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. 6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. 7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? 8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? 9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, 10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, 11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God. 12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this? 13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.

Upvote 0

Kim_Marie

Mar 29, 2020
Tacoma
✟9,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I have a different opinion of "tongues" than Charismatics, but I don't intend to start an argument.

I've been to churches that stressed them. I went forward and was told that if you don't receive the "gift" it is because there is sin in your life. I haven't met any sinless people. And, no, I don't speak in tongues except in German "nur ein bisschen." I knew a woman who believed she had the gift of tongues; when she prayed she sounded like a cooing dove. That didn't make sense.

The tongues at Pentecost I believe were non-native languages.

Acts 2
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. 6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. 7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? 8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? 9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, 10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, 11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God. 12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this? 13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.
Ah I see yes.. I understand what you are saying.
Several years ago I started to pray, when suddenly the words I spoke changed to french, then german, and spanish, and finally hebrew.. Nowadays it still occures, but almost entirely in Hebrew, and it is only a couple words or phrases, mostly "God is with us" etc. Is this considered a gift? I just... I dont want to sound like I am some how crazy or something... I feel a bit scared of the judgement of others or perhaps even God.. Just need some hope.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Ah I see yes.. I understand what you are saying.
Several years ago I started to pray, when suddenly the words I spoke changed to french, then german, and spanish, and finally hebrew.. Nowadays it still occures, but almost entirely in Hebrew, and it is only a couple words or phrases, mostly "God is with us" etc. Is this considered a gift? I just... I dont want to sound like I am some how crazy or something... I feel a bit scared of the judgement of others or perhaps even God.. Just need some hope.

I think that sounds realistic. We love Jesus and others --- if we become judgmental we are sinning. If another Christian is sinning we can talk to them and try to show them God's will.

My parents and siblings(except my late half sister) weren't Christians. I was taught to pray at about age 4 or 5 by a German woman (probably in her late teens) in Germany. She didn't translate the prayer for me, but I prayed in German when I was alone and still know that prayer!

Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟375,908.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The phenomenon of tongues today can range from questionable, to fake, to demonic. This video sums it up well - and I have seen many more like it:

I avoid it at all costs - and have absolute distrust of clergy that condone or promote such. The embracing the "Charismatic Renewal" where people fall over "slain in the spirit" is a strange occurrence that often goes with this. Far, far too many clergy from parish level to the Vatican have promoted it - including popes. I trust none of their judgement - not a good "Sensus Fidelium".

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,224,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Good evening,
I am trying to learn more about this phenomenon and wanted to possibly hear what others have to say about it. Also I have some more pressing personal queries but if anyone is nice enough to ask, I could talk about it in a private message. I spoke to my local priest about it a while back but since this virus has been going around, things have been more stressful and I haven't been able to receive the sacraments let alone speak to someone in person. Feeling a bit lonely and sad, thankful there is still adoration but you know.. I always felt very shy about that which has kept me from going.
You will get many opinions on this. Some say speaking in tongues is necessary for Christians. Various Pentecostal denominations might say that. Others say it's of the devil. Baptists tend to say that. I suggest a cautious middle way. That there is something valid to it but also that there are counterfeits. I think avoiding the counterfeits is important, as is any sort of 'training' in speaking in tongues. It should never be something you can turn on like water from a faucet. It is, when genuine, the Holy Spirit breaking through our thick skulls to bring us into prayer. It is not something Elmer Gantry would know a thing about.

The modern origins of the charismatic movement started in response to the terrifying vision of pope Leo XIII, who called for prayers for an outpouring of the Holy Spirit at the dawn of the 20th century. But the Holy Spirit has never been fully out of commission in the long history of the Catholic Church. So we can accept speaking in tongues as normal, as Catholic, as good. But carefully avoiding the craziness that some Protestants are in to like 'holy laughter' which makes no sense at all.

If you are speaking in tongues, do not neglect the other more standard aspects of your spiritual growth. Standardized prayers and mental prayer, confession and spiritual direction, Bible reading and spiritual reading, the Liturgy of the Hours, Mass (even daily) when it's available, all of that. Be thankful for what you have been given, particularly if it is accompanied by tears. Anybody can make noises. Anybody can do weird and undignified things. Avoid that. But if the Holy Spirit hits you on the head with prayer in tongues, then humbly go with it. For a while, until the next time. Avoiding counterfeits, which are out there.

• Winner
Reactions: thehehe
Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟375,908.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Of the Charismatic Renewal hoopla I have seen - it's literally embarrassing to say that I'm part of a Church that endorses it.

The "falling over and resting in the spirit" is the actually the biggest thing. People travel all over for "healing Masses" and to fall over.

I hear a Catholic priest that used to do this stuff, but realized it was wrong. People would literally fall over just when he walked by.

One day he announced there would no longer be any catchers if they fell over - and somehow big congregations of hundreds - nobody fell over! Did the Spirit leave???

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,224,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Of the Charismatic Renewal hoopla I have seen - it's literally embarrassing to say that I'm part of a Church that endorses it.

The "falling over and resting in the spirit" is the actually the biggest thing. People travel all over for "healing Masses" and to fall over.

I hear a Catholic priest that used to do this stuff, but realized it was wrong. People would literally fall over just when he walked by.

One day he announced there would no longer be any catchers if they fell over - and somehow big congregations of hundreds - nobody fell over! Did the Spirit leave???
If God really wants you to fall over, then you will fall over. And not be hurt. Having a 'catcher' adds an expectation that you HAVE TO fall over if you are being authentic. Which makes it inauthentic. Similar silliness abounds. But might you be throwing out the baby with the bathwater? Likewise, some of the proponents of this stuff are themselves dodgy. But others are rock solid. Avoid the dodgy ones. Avoid the dodgy ones no matter what kind of stuff they advocate. Maciel is but one example of that. But he does not negate any good that ever came out of that movement.

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good evening,

Good resources SCRC Charismatic Renewal and starting tomorrow they are releasing to YouTube there series on Pentecost SCRC Charismatic Renewal.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟423,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If God really wants you to fall over, then you will fall over. And not be hurt. Having a 'catcher' adds an expectation that you HAVE TO fall over if you are being authentic. Which makes it inauthentic. Similar silliness abounds. But might you be throwing out the baby with the bathwater? Likewise, some of the proponents of this stuff are themselves dodgy. But others are rock solid. Avoid the dodgy ones. Avoid the dodgy ones no matter what kind of stuff they advocate. Maciel is but one example of that. But he does not negate any good that ever came out of that movement.

It all just reminds me of that Benny Hinn GIF...

benny-hinn-onyx-truth.gif

• Winner
Reactions: Markie Boy
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,224,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It all just reminds me of that Benny Hinn GIF...

benny-hinn-onyx-truth.gif
That's whacko. It reminds me of Elmer Gantry. As in Upton Sinclair's character from the book of the same name. There's something wrong with this kind of silliness.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟423,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
That's whacko. It reminds me of Elmer Gantry. As in Upton Sinclair's character from the book of the same name. There's something wrong with this kind of silliness.

Completely agree. I'm permanently scarred by that bull and I wasn't even into it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good evening,
I have been teaching on this for over a decade. Feel free to PM me questions if you like. Discussing it publicly often devolves into arguing, finger pointing, and mocking which helps no one and appears to have already begun here.

Upvote 0

Kim_Marie

Mar 29, 2020
Tacoma
✟9,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I have been teaching on this for over a decade. Feel free to PM me questions if you like. Discussing it publicly often devolves into arguing, finger pointing, and mocking which helps no one and appears to have already begun here.
yes i see this .. much disagreement.. I am not sure how to start a pm since I just created an account a day ago. Please send me one so We can talk further on this. I need some support :(

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟423,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
yes i see this .. much disagreement.. I am not sure how to start a pm since I just created an account a day ago. Please send me one so We can talk further on this. I need some support :(

Kim if you're in fact a Catholic like your faith tag suggests, be sure that you maintain fidelity to the Church's teachings on such things and be wary of input from those who aren't Catholic. Beyond the most important fact that you're almost guaranteed to receive heterodox teaching on the matter from someone who isn't Catholic, it's also against the rules of this subforum that anybody who isn't Catholic come in and solicit teachings that aren't Catholic.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Kim if you're in fact a Catholic like your faith tag suggests, be sure that you maintain fidelity to the Church's teachings on such things and be wary of input from those who aren't Catholic. Beyond the most important fact that you're almost guaranteed to receive heterodox teaching on the matter from someone who isn't Catholic, it's also against the rules of this subforum that anybody who isn't Catholic come in and solicit teachings that aren't Catholic.
I was raised and confirmed Catholic, as was my wife. My mother-in-law (who got me saved) was a Charismatic Catholic. I am well versed in the RCC's stance on tongues and it IS something the church believes in. It is not against the forum rules to have a private conversation, which is one of the reasons I suggested it.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟423,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was raised and confirmed Catholic, as was my wife. My mother-in-law (who got me saved) was a Charismatic Catholic. I am well versed in the RCC's stance on tongues and it IS something the church believes in. It is not against the forum rules to have a private conversation, which is one of the reasons I suggested it.

I never said it was against forum rules to have a private conversation.

And being raised and confirmed Catholic doesn’t qualify one to speak authoritatively in Church teaching if the person in question no longer identifies as Catholic.

But, carry on in your private message.

Upvote 0