Oneofthediaspora

Jul 9, 2008
Liverpool
✟9,124.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm new to these fora and as I'm a Catholic I thought I'd introduce myself here. My name's Mike and I live in Liverpool, England.

Looking through the threads here it seems that everyone is from the U.S.A or Canada. Anyone from my side of the Atlantic?

What really strikes me as interesting reading the threads is the amount of time and enthusiasm you spend discussing the candidates for the US presidential election. In Britain, this wouldn't happen. I think all these years of Tony Blair and NuLabour has created an unparalleled degree of political apathy over here.

In case you're interested, I reckon the general view in Britain re the American presidential election can be simplified as follows:
Obama ...good.
McCain .... bad.

This is obviously a generalisation but that's the attitude I seem to come across.

Anyway, I hope the best candidate wins for you.
Pax vobiscum.

krstlros

Currently Under Construction
Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2004
Within the arms of God
✟52,810.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Welcome to CF and OBOB. :)

Despite what it may look like, yes there are others around from other parts of the world, including England. They've just been hiding lately.

Paruse around. Ask questions. Start a thread, join a thread. In general, make yourself at home.

Again, welcome. :)

Upvote 0

InTheCloud

Veteran
May 9, 2007
Planet Earth
✟12,597.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
There are lots of Brits and Mick here but lately they seem to be a bit shy.

Europe leans to the left to the US. I would like to know the case that the Euro media (I get the BBC, Deutche Welle and two Spanish Channels) has portrayend a Republican canditade in a good way. Europeans oftem seen genuninely surprised when the Reeps win election after election.

Upvote 0

Oneofthediaspora

Jul 9, 2008
Liverpool
✟9,124.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you krstlros !

Y tambien gracias y buenas dias resoto.

You're right, Republicans are regarded with a degree of suspicion in the British media and the general attitude to George Bush was even lower than usual.
Me, I like to keep an open mind about these things though.

All the best,
Mike.

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
Welcome to CF and OBOB. There are plenty of Brits et al but as some folks noted...they seem to be in hiding.

If you think that the political threads are bad now...wait until September / October. It is going to be rough. lol. I'm surprised, frankly, at the degree to which the US election is being covered in the European and other foreign press...maybe it is the "anybody but bush / republicans" syndrome.

Me? I'm pulling the lever for McCain.

Upvote 0

anawim

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2004
NY suburbs
Visit site
✟19,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
In case you're interested, I reckon the general view in Britain re the American presidential election can be simplified as follows:
Obama ...good.
McCain .... bad.

And mine of yours would be:
Margaret Thatcher.....great!
John Major................O.K.
Tony Blair.................Mixed
Gordon Brown............Seems O.K.

I'm voting for McCain, but I'll be holding my nose. He's no Ronald Reagan, but at least he's not a total loss.

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
You're not the only one from the other side of the Big Ditch. :D Actually, I'm one smaller ditch further down the road.

I think European media coverage of the elections has many different reasons, but as I'm slung over the couch in a rather uncomfortable position for typing I don't feel like listing them all. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pogue

left CF, please see profile for further details
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2006
http://www.thesonscafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15
✟59,840.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
Hello! I'm the first Brit to welcome you. I think I should win a prize (we're not hiding, we're just shy). My mum's from Liverpool, but I live in the Midlands, and go to university in Sheffield.
Good assesment of the UK view of the political situation in the US! :D

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Well, at least you don't have to figure out who to vote for. My candidate is gone, and now I have the pick of two very unappealing candidates. :p

Heh. Last election over here I had 11 parties to choose from (you vote for individuals within parties here but the focus is on the party, not the individual) and I still didn't find one I agreed with completely. :D More choice doesn't make it easier, trust me.

Upvote 0

New Creation

*Practise Promiscuous Charity*
Aug 4, 2003
Visit site
✟5,331.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hello and welcome! Glad ta meetcha!
I am not a Brit but my mum's from Wallasey and dad's from Bebington. I spent a few months around there while I was a kid.
Now I live in the forests of British Columbia!
(I cut down trees... I eat my lunch... I go to the lava-tree... :))

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Captivated

Mar 29, 2006
✟9,823.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not a prolific contributor to OBOB but I am just down the road from you between Southport and Preston!

(Still reeling from Anawim thinking Thatcher was great! I lived through the Thatcher years in the North of England. Nothing great about the horrendous unemployment.)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.