Dec 8, 2007
✟828,720.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
This is what I don't understand, how does single Predestination give hope to the unelect? Can they get saved? If they can, then that is Arminianism.
No; Luther explains in the small Catechism regarding the Third Article of the Apostle's creed:

Of Sanctification.

I believe in the Holy Ghost; one holy Christian Church, the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting. Amen.

What does this mean?--Answer.

I believe that I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord, or come to Him; but the Holy Ghost has called me by the Gospel, enlightened me with His gifts, sanctified and kept me in the true faith; even as He calls, gathers, enlightens, and sanctifies the whole Christian Church on earth, and keeps it with Jesus Christ in the one true faith; in which Christian Church He forgives daily and richly all sins to me and all believers, and at the last day will raise up me and all the dead, and will give to me and to all believers in Christ everlasting life. This is most certainly true.​

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I believe that I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord, or come to Him; but the Holy Ghost has called me by the Gospel, enlightened me with His gifts, sanctified and kept me in the true faith; even as He calls, gathers, enlightens, and sanctifies the whole Christian Church on earth, and keeps it with Jesus Christ in the one true faith; in which Christian Church He forgives daily and richly all sins to me and all believers, and at the last day will raise up me and all the dead, and will give to me and to all believers in Christ everlasting life. This is most certainly true.
This is fantastic. Praise God. But what about unbelievers?

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,720.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
This is fantastic. Praise God. But what about unbelievers?
For unbelievers, the Athanasian Creed clearly explains what the Bible states... Which may be why it has fallen from favor in some Churches; the whole creed is here: The Three Ecumenical Creeds - Book of Concord

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith. Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly....

...Furthermore, it is necessary to everlasting salvation that he also believe faithfully the incarnation of our Lord Jesus Christ....

...And they that have done good shall go into life everlasting; and they that have done evil, into everlasting fire.
This is the catholic faith; which except a man believe faithfully and firmly, he cannot be saved.
This leaves no wiggle room.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...Furthermore, it is necessary to everlasting salvation that he also believe faithfully the incarnation of our Lord Jesus Christ....

...And they that have done good shall go into life everlasting; and they that have done evil, into everlasting fire.
How does this answer my question about whether the non-elect are

a) predestined to eternal damnation or

b) have the grace available to them to believe faithfully the incarnation of our Lord Jesus Christ?

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,720.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
How does this answer my question about whether the non-elect are

a) predestined to eternal damnation or

b) have the grace available to them to believe faithfully the incarnation of our Lord Jesus Christ?
Because of Christ, who died for all, we are all "pre-destined" for salvation; none are predestined to hell; those who go to hell, are like to prodigal son before he repents and returns to his father (returns to faith); seriously, it is that simple.

• Agree
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Because of Christ, who died for all, we are all "pre-destined" for salvation; none are predestined to hell; those who go to hell, are like to prodigal son before he repents and returns to his father (returns to faith); seriously, it is that simple.
This is excellent. I believe this also. It's perfect Arminianism.

Upvote 0

Kiwi Jane

Aug 19, 2020
Wellington
✟15,865.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
That view held by the Calvinists is called the doctrine of double predestination. Lutherans do not ascribe to double predestination like Calvinists do, no. It is a very complex issue though. I'll admit that I do not fully understand it. A good online source for information on the differences between Lutheran and Calvinist theology, from a conservative Lutheran perspective, is Dr. Jordan B Cooper's youtube channel. (His small denomination is part of the International Lutheran Council, like LCMS, LCC, and my denomination.)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQztlwsK5pV45U8vMtfbWjg

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That view held by the Calvinists is called the doctrine of double predestination. Lutherans do not ascribe to double predestination like Calvinists do, no. It is a very complex issue though. I'll admit that I do not fully understand it. A good online source for information on the differences between Lutheran and Calvinist theology, from a conservative Lutheran perspective, is Dr. Jordan B Cooper's youtube channel. (His small denomination is part of the International Lutheran Council, like LCMS, LCC, and my denomination.)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQztlwsK5pV45U8vMtfbWjg
Thanks for sharing the link

Upvote 0