Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It does seem like Craft has some prior experience with the UN, but I would point out that the Canadian ambassadorship is another one of those positions typically granted to donors, and therefore shouldn't necessarily be considered a sign of experience. And yes, Haley did lack experience in international politics, for which her appointment was rightly questioned. She did perform reasonably well, but the success of one inexperienced person does not mean that another will necessarily have the same success. Additionally, there must have been some reason why she was selected. And since she wasn't a campaign donor, that suggests that someone though she'd be capable.
Your comments have the ring of reasonableness. For that, much thanks. What you have said is very much like what I was explaining.

In the political system, regardless of party, it has long been the case that party loyalists get most of the appointments. Everyone knows that; and there is some obvious logic to it, even if in a perfect world people would get political jobs strictly on the basis of ability and so on.

Therefore, we know that for a person who is entirely qualified to be vilified in such a vulgar way as we saw here--simply for being nominated for a position such as UN ambassador--is uncalled for. And, IMO, that was especially unfair considering that she is experienced in diplomacy and this president has done less of that spoils system sort of thing than his predecessor did.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Therefore, we know that for a person who is entirely qualified to be vilified in such a vulgar way as we saw here--simply for being nominated for a position such as UN ambassador--is uncalled for. And, IMO, that was especially unfair considering that she is experienced in diplomacy and this president has done less of that spoils system sort of thing than his predecessor did.

Therefore, in your opinion she's entirely qualified. Where has she been vilified in a vulgar or unfair way? That's so melodramatic I'm not sure if you're intending it to be facetious / hyperbolic? C'mon now.

Folks have given facts that happen to not be to your liking. It's vulgar & unfair to label that as vulgar & unfair.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
She gave political contributions, of course she's qualified! Unless it's someone like Obama, then we demand to see his grades, even if he was editor of something like the Harvard Law Review. Gotta love those double standards, it's all about qualifications until it is not.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Therefore, in your opinion she's entirely qualified. Where has she been vilified in a vulgar or unfair way? That's so melodramatic I'm not sure if you're intending it to be facetious / hyperbolic? C'mon now.
She'd be more impressive if she hadn't paid for her job. That's what Donald's known for. Not hiring the best qualified people but the people who'll kiss his butt & line his pockets.

Thanks for caring.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well I guess she's more well-qualified for the position than the Fox News nominee who had to withdraw for having hired an undocumented immigrant as her nanny. Lol.

She'd be more impressive if she hadn't paid for her job. That's what Donald's known for. Not hiring the best qualified people but the people who'll kiss his butt & line his pockets.

In addition to being known for his avarice, President Trump is also infamous for making defective decisions fueled by his blatant animosity for President Obama. Kelly Knight Craft's husband, the billionaire coal-mining magnate who is an executive at one of the largest coal producers in the country, Joe Craft, has fervently criticized President Obama's climate change policies, for blatantly self-motivated reasons. It was therefore utterly unsurprising that Trump nominated her to be the Ambassador to Canada. The same week she began her ambassadorship she equivocated on climate change, claiming she respected "both sides" of the science in an interview with the CBC, suggesting that deniers have credence despite the overwhelming evidence to the opposite. That justifiably generated dismay throughout Canada. She repeated the claims during her tenure, again to necessary repudiation and derision. I agree with Dan Rather (and a multitude of others who've echoed his sentiments):
Dan Rather on Twitter

In addition to having donated seven figure sums to Trump's presidential campaign, the Crafts have been long been repeat, high-paying customers at his hotel in Washington; they're on the exclusive "VIP Arrivals" listed distributed to hotel staff to identify the most important customers. They were extremely influential in the 2016 election, using their "Republican Rolodex" to play a pivotal role in swing states, personally courting affluent donors who'd previously scoffed at Trump by assuring them of the promise they'd privately received from him that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, whom they'd helped to elect, would not be replaced, and that his administration would be an ally to the coal industry. She had minimal relevant experience that would lead her to be considered "well-qualified" prior to the ambassadorship to Canada, primarily working in the equestrian field, working with horse breeders to secure thoroughbreds for wealthy clientele.

In addition to vigorously fundraising for Donald Trump, she vigorously backed George W. Bush in 2004, and he gave back by appointing her an alternate delegate to the United Nations in 2007. Their kinship was well-established, with each scratching one another's backs.

Other ambassadors have had limited diplomatic experience prior to their nominations, but had success in other capacities that demonstrated their aptitude for the position, and then flourished in the role. Craft floundered. Rather than her ambassadorship to Canada bolstering the credibility of her nomination to be the Ambassador to the UN, it detracts from it.

Well I guess she's more well-qualified for the position than the Fox News nominee who had to withdraw for having hired an undocumented immigrant as her nanny. Lol.

This is unfortunately correct, and it is what is vulgar, not forum posts stating the facts of it.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for caring.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I care about Matthew 7:5, take it seriously. You might want to read it, read what you wrote in this post, think on that. If you think that what I wrote is "vulgar & vilifying" in post #15 you did the same, just with different verbiage, same intent.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
She would probably have been a good ambassador, but employing an illegal nanny is the kiss of death in these situations, just as it was for two of Clintons attorney general (!) nominees, Zoe Baird and Kimba Wood, both of whom would most likely have been quite competent in the position (and better than what we got instead).

The irony is that Donald remains the President, despite the large number of illegals his business has hired.

• Agree
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic