✟82,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
John 6
29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

John 3
14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Ephesians 2
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Upvote 0

Mateo

Jan 25, 2004
✟15,511.00
Faith
Hell is the grave. Everybody except "those who are alive and yet remain" when Christ returns are going to hell. The only people I have found who are in Heaven alive and concious for any lenth of time are those who were killed for the word of God and then only for a short period (approximately 3 1/2 years). They come to earth with the Lord to rule and reign for a thousand years. Everyone else stands at the white throne judgement at the end of this 1000 year period and those that "make the grade" are resurrected into the kingdom of God and those that don't hit the lake of Fire at that time.

The meek shall inherit what?

Upvote 0

Abbadon

Self Bias Resistor - goin' commando in a cassock!
Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Overall, I go with an extremely old view, Hell and Heaven aren't separate physical places, "Heaven" is mearly your soul being close to God, "Hell" is mearly your soul being distant from God. To some extent, everyone will get what they want, everyone will see God, just a different angles and distances, and atheists will be looking in the opposite direction ("See? I told you there was no God!", "No, but Brahma is over there!", "Ummm, that's God over there, dudes").

However, stating that, "Hell" could be used to describe distance from God, "Heaven" could be used to describe closeness to God.

I've come to view "Hell" not in the manner presented by Dante's Divine Comedy or Milton's Paradise Lost, but more a combination of Buddhist Samsara and Catholic Purgatory. Basically, this stuff all over again. Some might question me for viewing Hell as no worse than Earth, but I'd bet victims of the Holocaust or Saddam Hussian's torture would agree that Earth can be fairly bad.

People have tried to state Heaven in physical terms, and I don't think that works. Just being close to God in all His/Her/It's splendor (see Deuteronomy 4:16-17, there's no correct way to state God's gender).

Upvote 0

Bond Slave

Jan 24, 2005
✟542.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Abbadon said:
Overall, I go with an extremely old view, Hell and Heaven aren't separate physical places, "Heaven" is mearly your soul being close to God, "Hell" is mearly your soul being distant from God. To some extent, everyone will get what they want, everyone will see God, just a different angles and distances, and atheists will be looking in the opposite direction ("See? I told you there was no God!", "No, but Brahma is over there!", "Ummm, that's God over there, dudes").

However, stating that, "Hell" could be used to describe distance from God, "Heaven" could be used to describe closeness to God.

I've come to view "Hell" not in the manner presented by Dante's Divine Comedy or Milton's Paradise Lost, but more a combination of Buddhist Samsara and Catholic Purgatory. Basically, this **** all over again. Some might question me for viewing Hell as no worse than Earth, but I'd bet victims of the Holocaust or Saddam Hussian's torture would agree that Earth can be fairly bad.

People have tried to state Heaven in physical terms, and I don't think that works. Just being close to God in all His/Her/It's splendor (see Deuteronomy 4:16-17, there's no correct way to state God's gender).
I would say that according to the rules of this board you seriously need to reconsider that cross by your name.

Upvote 0

Tawhano

Northland Highwayman
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟48,938.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Those who God has sealed with the Holy Spirit will go to heaven, all others will not.

Upvote 0

Abbadon

Self Bias Resistor - goin' commando in a cassock!
Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Bond Slave said:
I would say that according to the rules of this board you seriously need to reconsider that cross by your name.

Ok, I fixed the use of the word that is usable in "G" rated movies, and replaced it with "stuff"! It started with a c and ended with a p. I knew I couldn't get away with anywith PG-13 or R rated, but man, this word?

If that wasn't the reason why you think I should not be here, this is the arguement I present:

I am a Christian in theology and philosophy, not in mythology.

All that was required for me to consider myself a Christian is mearly believing that. All that this site requires for me to say that I am a Christian is agreeing with the Nicene Creed. Nothing about the statement I said conflicts with the Nicene Creed.

If you are going to bring up the idea that I'm promoting Buddhism, Hinduism, or Atheism, you're mistaken again. I was making a poor joke when saying "see there is no God", and when refering to Brahma (I suffer from a bad case of dry humor), and as to my regarding Hell as similar to the Buddhist concept of Samsara, I must say that that is the simplest way of putting it. I've been able to find less popular Christian theologies that attempted to get the same idea across as a depiction of Hell, but still couldn't fit it in less than a bunch of paragraphs. Since I haven't found any that used a term to express this other than Hell, I have to borrow from a different religion. This has been done by Christians throughout the ages to describe Hell. The word "Hell" itself is derived from the Nordic underworld "Hel". The Greek underworld "Hades" is accepted (it is in the Bible), though it was used long before Jews or Christians used it.

Besides, the point of this particular thread was to find out what different people's views of Hell were. We're allowed by this site to have different beliefs, an agreement to disagree. If this site were to ban on particular denomination's view, would that really be Christian? Did not Christ say that anyone that does good in His name is not an enemy?

If there's any remote chance that you think I should have the Catholic icon next to my name, nope. I can share beliefs with Catholics and not be a Catholic. You do the same thing. Yes, you do, God in particular.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.