Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The last thread took off so a lot of people must want to discuss health care. It appears nobody noticed that in my last thread I said Medicare part A should be available to all. That covers hospital stays which is most of the expensive things, so the few hundred put into the health savings account each year is just to help pay for smaller things like medications and routine check ups. I don't know just what that number should be, and probably there should be some sort of a matching program to motivate people to put some more money in them selves. The point of the health savings account is to make sure everyone has some money to pay for routine care so they don't put it off and end up with a more expensive condition later. That's one thing that Obama care has not helped much, Insurance still has high deductibles which makes people reluctant to pay for small things especially when they're not sure if they're necessary.

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Yes, if nothing else, hospital care should be free to all who cannot afford it. However, the best way to secure such if certainly up for much debate and discussion. My plan - raise the federal tax on liquor, cigarettes and gasoline. It will take more than that, but it is something anyway. If we do tax gas at a higher level, then more people will buy hybrid cars as well.

Upvote 0

Percivale

Sam
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2012
Southern Indiana
✟145,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, if nothing else, hospital care should be free to all who cannot afford it. However, the best way to secure such if certainly up for much debate and discussion. My plan - raise the federal tax on liquor, cigarettes and gasoline. It will take more than that, but it is something anyway. If we do tax gas at a higher level, then more people will buy hybrid cars as well.
Yeah I would support a tax on all fossil fuels, and putting the income tax at the rates it had before the new tax reform and eliminating even more deductions. But I think in the long run there would be enough less spending on existing Medicaid and Medicare plans to pay for the change.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Personally I think that if the feds will not do a universal type healthcare then they should get out of any healthcare administration including Medicaid, Medicare, CHIP.... and turn it all over to the individual states. Then the states could form their own system or could partner with other like minded states. The monies would be collected by the individual states and used by the individual states and their partners.
The feds are failing and using funding for these programs to fund other departments in the government.
I'm at about the same place when it comes to education. They waste more money than actually gets spent on the kids.
Too many middlemen for my taste, too much waste, too political.

• Agree
Reactions: Percivale
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Personally I think that if the feds will not do a universal type healthcare then they should get out of any healthcare administration including Medicaid, Medicare, CHIP.... and turn it all over to the individual states. Then the states could form their own system or could partner with other like minded states. The monies would be collected by the individual states and used by the individual states and their partners.
The feds are failing and using funding for these programs to fund other departments in the government.
I'm at about the same place when it comes to education. They waste more money than actually gets spent on the kids.
Too many middlemen for my taste, too much waste, too political.

The middlemen right now in healthcare, are the insurance companies. They are there for one reason, to make a profit and they help to drive pricing up.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The last thread took off so a lot of people must want to discuss health care. It appears nobody noticed that in my last thread I said Medicare part A should be available to all. That covers hospital stays which is most of the expensive things, so the few hundred put into the health savings account each year is just to help pay for smaller things like medications and routine check ups. I don't know just what that number should be, and probably there should be some sort of a matching program to motivate people to put some more money in them selves. The point of the health savings account is to make sure everyone has some money to pay for routine care so they don't put it off and end up with a more expensive condition later. That's one thing that Obama care has not helped much, Insurance still has high deductibles which makes people reluctant to pay for small things especially when they're not sure if they're necessary.

Insurance companies will raise their deductibles and copays to match and drain the amounts in HSA's. That said I like the idea of tax deductible HSA's, but only if they can be used to pay cash for procedures that offer deep discounts for cash payments.

Upvote 0

Percivale

Sam
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2012
Southern Indiana
✟145,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Insurance companies will raise their deductibles and copays to match and drain the amounts in HSA's. That said I like the idea of tax deductible HSA's, but only if they can be used to pay cash for procedures that offer deep discounts for cash payments.
If everyone has Medicare part A and HSAs there won't be much need for insurance. I'd like to eliminate that middleman.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The only way to eliminate the middlemen is to eliminate the middlemen. In Canada, those medical services not covered in our universal single payer medical system can be insured by the insurance companies.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The only way to eliminate the middlemen is to eliminate the middlemen. In Canada, those medical services not covered in our universal single payer medical system can be insured by the insurance companies.

Interesting. What are some examples of these medical services?

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Interesting. What are some examples of these medical services?

Medical services not provided by Canadian Medicare include prescription drugs and dental services. This varies from province to province. For example in Ontario prescription drugs are largely covered from birth to 21 and for 65 and over.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Medical services not provided by Canadian Medicare include prescription drugs and dental services. This varies from province to province. For example in Ontario prescription drugs are largely covered from birth to 21 and for 65 and over.

Aren't drugs much cheaper there anyway? I'm surprised that dental isn't covered as that is a big expense for many families with children. I have personally spent a lot on dental care for myself and my kids as I never have had dental insurance. I'm guessing that dental expenses are certain and the costs predictable, and that the cost to the program would be prohibitive.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The point of the health savings account is to make sure everyone has some money to pay for routine care so they don't put it off and end up with a more expensive condition later. That's one thing that Obama care has not helped much, Insurance still has high deductibles which makes people reluctant to pay for small things especially when they're not sure if they're necessary.
Actually, one thing Obamacare did help with is routine care as preventive care was mostly covered by insurance, including yearly check-ups and routine vaccines.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums