Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since you apparently absolutely MUST know, I share that quote specifically because it is a passage that means more than I could ever express with words for my husband and me. When I see it, it reminds me instantly of him and the love we share with each other. Because of that, it is a passage I repeated to help me with severe generalized anxiety disorder and repeated reoccurrence panic disorder. It’s a passage that, because of its personal meaning, really grounds me and gives me strength. Finally, it is a passage that, while I prayed and meditated on it during an incident that was particularly stressful and awful, led me to a spiritual breakthrough that changed my life.

I’m not sure why you need this level of information, but there you go.
Okay, thanks.
This confirms what I thought was going on with that verse in your signature line.

The original intent of that scripture is revealed in context. I actually prefer the synoptic equivalent in Matthew. See below.

The reference is to investing ourselves in the eternal rather than the temporal (earthly). And I suspect that your New Age hobby is actually contributing to, rather than solving, your anxiety and panic issues. The meditation may be serving to mask the symptoms, similar to what some do with pain killer drugs. Once it wears off, the symptoms reappear. And as with drugs, higher and higher dosages are required to get the same effect of escape (relief).

Matthew 6:19-21
“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you are looking for something that truly transcends these issues, consider this.

Philippians 4:6-7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Romans 12:1-2
Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay, thanks.
This confirms what I thought was going on with that verse in your signature line.

The original intent of that scripture is revealed in context. I actually prefer the synoptic equivalent in Matthew. See below.

I’m glad to hear what you think is better. I feel differently.

You are aware there are ways besides your way, right?

The reference is to investing ourselves in the eternal rather than the temporal (earthly).

You asked me why it is quoted in my signature, not what it means contextually or what it’s referring to. It’s in my signature for sentimental reasons and what it means to me.

If somebody asks me why I love the rain and why I love the ocean, I will say it’s because they remind me of my parents. If somebody asks me why they exist or what their purpose or reason for being are, they will get a different answer. Why one loves something for sentimental reasons is a personal question that will give you a very different answer than what it’s given meaning or context is.

And I suspect that your New Age hobby is actually contributing to, rather than solving, your anxiety and panic issues. The meditation may be serving to mask the symptoms, similar to what some do with pain killer drugs. Once it wears off, the symptoms reappear. And as with drugs, higher and higher dosages are required to get the same effect of escape (relief).

Well, I can see why you’d think that given that you know nothing about me, why I have panic/anxiety issues, how I have recovered and managed it, have no access to my medical journey, don’t understand the principles of meditation or crystal healing, and the fact you confuse the idea of hobbies with the concepts that go with practices... With all that information, clearly you are the most informed and qualified to draw conclusions about me or my health and recovery.

Matthew 6:19-21
“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you are looking for something that truly transcends these issues, consider this.

Philippians 4:6-7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Romans 12:1-2
Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

You know, as shocking as it may be, I’m going to continue to hold sentimental value to the passage my husband and I share. Thanks though. And seeing as you know so much about me and my practice, I’m surprised you didn’t know that I pray and meditate on those passages constantly. So, again, thanks but between me and the influence of God I’ve got my spiritual growth and journey well under control. I’m sure you’ll understand why I follow God and his will over what a stranger on the internet says I should follow to please him.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
… I’ve got my spiritual growth and journey well under control.
That would explain the "severe generalized anxiety disorder and repeated reoccurrence panic disorder." -- I was trying to help.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That would explain the "severe generalized anxiety disorder and repeated reoccurrence panic disorder." -- I was trying to help.

No, being diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease and MS explains the severe generalized anxiety disorder and the repeated reoccurrence panic disorder. The fact that I can now leave my house and lead a functional life explains why I can say I’ve gotten my spiritual growth and recovery under control.

If you were actually trying to help, you wouldn’t be making assumptions. This whole discussion has to do with you making you feel better, not helping me.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you were actually trying to help, you wouldn’t be making assumptions. This whole discussion has to do with you making you feel better, not helping me.
Now who's making assumptions. This whole discussion actually makes me quite sad. Not to worry, I'll get over it. However, Crohn’s Disease and MS are another story.

I said earlier in this discussion that our healing was already paid for in the atonement. By his stripes we HAVE BEEN healed. In the same way that salvation is available to those who receive it, healing is available to those who will receive it. That should be good news for you. But... you claim you have your "spiritual growth and journey well under control." And I'm just "a stranger on the internet". So, what would I know?

Yet the doctors have not healed you. The healing crystals have not healed you. You can pretend to be in complete control, but what is the truth? Don't answer me. Be honest with yourself. At this rate, where will you be in twenty years?

I'm no expert, but I am trying to get a handle on all this. This series has been helpful. Please give it ten minutes and then decide if it resonates with your need. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now who's making assumptions. This whole discussion actually makes me quite sad. Not to worry, I'll get over it. However, Crohn’s Disease and MS are another story.

Yes clearly, as you share in this paragraph where you only talk about yourself and the impact of my illnesses on you, you are only trying to help me. ^_^

I said earlier in this discussion that our healing was already paid for in the atonement. By his stripes we HAVE BEEN healed. In the same way that salvation is available to those who receive it, healing is available to those who will receive it. That should be good news for you. But... you claim you have your "spiritual growth and journey well under control." And I'm just "a stranger on the internet". So, what would I know?

Exactly, what would you know?

Yet the doctors have not healed you. The healing crystals have not healed you. You can pretend to be in complete control, but what is the truth? Don't answer me. Be honest with yourself. At this rate, where will you be in twenty years?

Who says that doctors haven’t helped me heal? Who said crystals and meditation haven’t helped? Last I checked, I felt the exact opposite. Tell me, what treatments am I on? What have I tried? What will I try? I’m quite curious to hear what you know of my condition, prognosis, and recovery.

Where will I be in 20 years?

Well, five years ago I couldn’t leave the house. I was disabled. I had only bad days. Three years ago I had equal good and bad days, where the good was good and the bad was unbearable, but with a walker I could get around. Now I have way more good days than bad. I am well enough I can work, have my dream job, a successful side hustle. I haven’t used my walker in over a year. I haven’t had a hospital admission in about 18 months. I’m in technical remission from the IBD (which is meaningless but it’s something), and my anxiety and panic disorder are managed 90% of the time. Some days the pain is awful but I’m able to be functional and I celebrate everything so it doesn’t get to me. So if the past indicates our future, I will be better than I am now, but if I’m not... That’s ok too. I had an amazing breakthrough where I stopped giving space and attention to fear. It changed my life in the most powerful way. I can’t control the future, only what’s going on right now. I’m confident that wherever I end up, God will be with me, my family will be with me, and I am safe.

I'm no expert, but I am trying to get a handle on all this. This series has been helpful. Please give it ten minutes and then decide if it resonates with your need. Thanks.

You say that this whole isn’t about you and you feeling better... So what are you “trying to get a handle on?” What part of my condition is something you would think you need to get a handle on?

You see what I’m saying? I’m at complete and total peace with myself, my health, my future, my faith. It’s you that this is about and how you feel... You are seeking answers and comfort for your spiritual state, not me and mine.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
… my anxiety and panic disorder are managed 90% of the time.
You criticize me for not knowing everything about you. Do you even know everything about you? First you say you have "severe generalized anxiety disorder and repeated reoccurrence panic disorder." Now you claim they are "managed 90% of the time". That means that one day in ten, or three days a month are unmanaged. Equivalent to over a month (nearly five weeks) over a year's time. (36.5 days)

It seems that when you want sympathy, you paint it black. But when I suggest that you need to consider where this is going, you paint it yellow. Seems like your motives are more questionable than mine. The glories of healing crystals are at best 90% effective. Assuming you are giving us an accurate report. Might you be fudging the numbers to make a point?

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You criticize me for not knowing everything about you. Do you even know everything about you?

I’m fairly confident I know more about me than you do.

First you say you have "severe generalized anxiety disorder and repeated reoccurrence panic disorder." Now you claim they are "managed 90% of the time". That means that one day in ten, or three days a month are unmanaged. Equivalent to over a month (nearly five weeks) over a year's time. (36.5 days)

Yes, I have panic and anxiety disorder and, yes, it is mostly managed. Managed means managed, not cured as one doesn’t typically doesn’t get labeled “cured,” for a variety of reasons. And from how you break down managed vs unmanaged time, it seems like you’re not exactly what we’d call familiar with the disorders and what managed vs unmanaged means.

It seems that when you want sympathy, you paint it black. But when I suggest that you need to consider where this is going, you paint it yellow. Seems like your motives are more questionable than mine. The glories of healing crystals are at best 90% effective. Assuming you are giving us an accurate report. Might you be fudging the numbers to make a point?

I haven’t fished for sympathy, nor at any point have I painted a bleak picture. I have been at peace and happy with where I’m at and where I’m going for quite awhile. You have projected on to me some bleak, negative conclusions based off of your own assumptions off of what you think my life is like, but there isn’t much I can do about that. I don’t control your assumptions.

As for your accusing me of “fudging the numbers,” I’ll admit that I didn’t think you’d be *quite* so literal with your time analysis so I didn’t do an actual and specifically calculated statistic of my managed vs unmanaged time... So I will freely admit the numbers may be “fudged” because my point was that an overwhelming majority of the time it’s managed, not that I’d laid out the numbers and calculated managed vs unmanaged and came out with a specific percentage.

If you’re looking for specific numbers, best I can do is take a peek at my journals. The last anxiety attack(s) I had was in January, it was off-and-on over nine days, and before that was two episodes in November, six in August, one in June. Last panic attack I had was a year ago May 21st.

So there you go.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why do you group synesthesia with meditation and crystals?

I don’t. I said my husband researched it. He thinks it heightens my meditation, creativity, imagination and perception of colors so he read up on it.

Do you see it as parapsychological?

I don’t know. Sometimes, maybe, I guess. Hard to say, really. Mostly it just impacts how I see and interact with the world around me.

You called it a gift.

I remember, I was there when I did it.

Upvote 0

Sunflower100

Aug 15, 2019
Ardfert, Tralee
✟8,565.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your question above is an excellent question. Here's something I've written on this. I come from the Pentecostal tradition. Some will disagree, I'm sure. But I submit this as just a contribution to the conversation.

Jesus gave His disciples POWER and AUTHORITY over specific things. In Matthew 10:7-9 those things are:

- the healing of the sick
- cleansing of the lepers
- the raising of the dead
- the casting out of demons​
These disciples went forth KNOWING that it was the Lord's will that they exercise power and authority in these areas. They didn't go forth pleading and begging Jesus to answer their prayers in these areas. Nor did they go forth passively assuming that God would just do it for them. They went forth knowing that they were indeed empowered, equipped, and commissioned to do these things. They were not thinking too highly of themselves. Nor were they thinking that in some way they were twisting God's arm to move on their behalf. They were COMISSIONED to do these things. They were ordered to use the power of God in these areas.

In Luke 10:19 Jesus focuses in on the seventy and gives them supernatural power and authority to wage spiritual warfare against evil spirits. We read:

Luke 10:19
Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.​
Here, we see Jesus granting power in specific areas. These are:

- Power to tread on serpents and scorpions (evil spirits)
- Power to break curses, hexes, generational curses, evil constructs, deceptions, etc. of the enemy
- Powerful protection from all spiritual attack and opposition.​
Remember, the seventy were amazed that they were granted such authority and power:

Luke 10:17
17 And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.​
While the greatest thing is to rejoice over being saved, this illustrates that they did indeed have the power to do the things Jesus specifically asked them to do. They didn't go out begging for Him to heal or remove a demon, they spoke healing and cast out the devil themselves.

This is power granted to the believer to use and employ. We don't have to beg that God banish demons that are behind sickness, oppression, curses, deceptions, demonic plots, or possession. We have been given this authority to release the power to uproot, bind, and cast out all evil spirits and over all the power of the enemy.

When a soldier is issued a weapon and deployed for war, that soldier has the orders to use that weapon within the parameters given to accomplish the mission. We are like soldiers. We have been issued authority and power through the Holy Spirit to release the power of God within the parameters of the mission. As long as we release the power to accomplish what is within the parameters of the mission, we can be assured that the power will yield the results our Lord said it would. In Mark 16 Jesus clearly explains what is to be expected in the wake of believers:

Mark 16:17-18
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.​
Here we see that the signs following true believers are:

- Casting out devils.
- Speaking in new tongues.
- Uprooting spiritual strongholds (taking up serpents, treading on scorpions).
- Divine protection from harm.
- The healing of the sick.​
We shouldn't question if we have the power and authority to do that which is expected of us by God. I wonder, is it possible that on those occasions when God heals in response to prayer, He is disappointed that the body of Christ He empowered didn't use the power granted to us to heal the sick? Might our rejoicing over His healing of someone within our number be an indictment against us at some point? Might God turn in the Judgment and ask, "Why didn't YOU heal them my children? I called and empowered YOU to do it."

When it comes to spiritual warfare, we have the power and the authority imparted to us by Jesus Himself. And in this, we are more than conquerors.​
Love this post, how does one perform the above, is it by praying? invoking the Holy Spirit? Hands on Healing? or other methods?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,460.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You first of all have to be born again and baptised in the Holy Spirit to have His authority within and power upon your life. You also have to cultivate the ability to 'hear' Him because even Jesus could only do that which He 'saw' the father doing.

Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sunflower100

Aug 15, 2019
Ardfert, Tralee
✟8,565.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You first of all have to be born again and baptised in the Holy Spirit to have His authority within and power upon your life. You also have to cultivate the ability to 'hear' Him because even Jesus could only do that which He 'saw' the father doing.
Carl, how does one become born again and baptised in the Holy Spirit, is their a specific ritual? apologies if this sounds a silly question.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,460.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not at all...
Ritual has nothing to do with it.
If you read Matthew, Luke, John, and ask God to open the eyes of your understanding Acts you will get the information you seek.

Here is a summary.

Mankind was created by God to have beautiful fellowship with Him.
Sin entered the world through Adam failing to heed Gods instruction.
From that time all inherit a sinful nature and fail to meet His requirement of holy living.
But... God knew in advance this would happen and planned to send Jesus to demonstrate how to live, and show us who God is, and take for us the consequences of our sins by dying on the cross.
What we need to do is confess we have messed up and need His forgiveness, repent of our sins and ask Him to take over our lives by inviting Him to take up residence within us. This is how we get to be born again. He comes through our invitation, cleanses us and fills us with Himself. By this means we are adopted into His eternal family being transferred into the realm of His kingdom. It is in fact a transfer from darkness to light and peace.
From then we walk according to the living word of His spirit within. We will immediately want to be baptised in water as He commanded and fellowship with believers.

The Baptism of the spirit is an empowerment for ministry that we all need to be an effective witness in a rather spiritually hostile and deaf world. We will at that time be given gifts that He uses to demonstrate His Love and truth to the world. This can come with the 'laying on of hands' but often also by direct encounter with His living presence.

Further questions welcome and I am happy to PM if that is easier for you.

Upvote 0

Sunflower100

Aug 15, 2019
Ardfert, Tralee
✟8,565.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not at all...
Ritual has nothing to do with it.
If you read Matthew, Luke, John, and ask God to open the eyes of your understanding Acts you will get the information you seek.

Here is a summary.

Mankind was created by God to have beautiful fellowship with Him.
Sin entered the world through Adam failing to heed Gods instruction.
From that time all inherit a sinful nature and fail to meet His requirement of holy living.
But... God knew in advance this would happen and planned to send Jesus to demonstrate how to live, and show us who God is, and take for us the consequences of our sins by dying on the cross.
What we need to do is confess we have messed up and need His forgiveness, repent of our sins and ask Him to take over our lives by inviting Him to take up residence within us. This is how we get to be born again. He comes through our invitation, cleanses us and fills us with Himself. By this means we are adopted into His eternal family being transferred into the realm of His kingdom. It is in fact a transfer from darkness to light and peace.
From then we walk according to the living word of His spirit within. We will immediately want to be baptised in water as He commanded and fellowship with believers.

The Baptism of the spirit is an empowerment for ministry that we all need to be an effective witness in a rather spiritually hostile and deaf world. We will at that time be given gifts that He uses to demonstrate His Love and truth to the world. This can come with the 'laying on of hands' but often also by direct encounter with His living presence.

Further questions welcome and I am happy to PM if that is easier for you.
Wow, thank you Carl, I have invited Jesus to reside within, and I have repented but I find it is taking a long time and I get distracted easily. If you wish to pm Carl, that would be great, thank you

• Friendly
Reactions: Natsumi Lam
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,460.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow, thank you Carl, I have invited Jesus to reside within, and I have repented but I find it is taking a long time and I get distracted easily. If you wish to pm Carl, that would be great, thank you

Praise the Lord Jesus...

PM if you would like, and others might want to bring you encouragement and friendship also.

• Useful
Reactions: Natsumi Lam
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.