he doesn't believe in gifts of the spirit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

seremela06

Senior Veteran
Jan 6, 2005
Florida
✟3,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
my husband does not believe in the gifts of the spirit because he thinks that we shouldn't ask god for these gifts because we should be satisfied with god alone. he will not consider a church unless he's researched the background of that church and where they get their beliefs from. i've printed a lot of information on the background of the PH church several months ago, but he has yet to read it. so i'm not sure what to do. i've kind of settled on the CRC, though he says he doesn't want me to settle. but he says that he really wants to go to a presbyterian church. but if i had to go there, i would not be happy. i honestly don't know what to do in this situation.

Barnabas71

Veteran
Nov 4, 2006
✟11,030.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Does he, your husband, believe God loves His people? Does he believe God gave His Son up as a ransomed for the many? That seems a far bigger gift than any gift of the Spirit. If God can give such a 'big' gift of love to His people, why could He not give what to Him, would be far smaller gifts? I say this with gentleness, but a strongly believe your husband has a misplaced view of our mighty, loving, Father. His Son Jesus, offers His follows this view of His, and our, Father in Heaven.

Matt 7 V 10
10 ‘Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!’

He loves us to much to have a ration book in what He gives us! :)

Upvote 0

seremela06

Senior Veteran
Jan 6, 2005
Florida
✟3,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Does he, your husband, believe God loves His people? Does he believe God gave His Son up as a ransomed for the many? That seems a far bigger gift than any gift of the Spirit. If God can give such a 'big' gift of love to His people, why could He not give what to Him, would be far smaller gifts? I say this with gentleness, but a strongly believe your husband has a misplaced view of our mighty, loving, Father. His Son Jesus, offers His follows this view of His, and our, Father in Heaven.

Matt 7 V 10
10 ‘Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!’

He loves us to much to have a ration book in what He gives us! :)

that is a very different way to look at it. perhaps i should bring this up to him.

Upvote 0

dereckbc

Apr 4, 2008
✟7,723.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
i honestly don't know what to do in this situation.
Simple answer is do nothing, there is nothing you can do. People believe in what they want to believe based on their background and education.

My Wife, Children, and I are all educated with PhD’s. I am AOG, my wife is agnostic, and my children are atheist. I wouldn’t ever attempt to make them believe anything, they are not going to buy it without indisputable proof and verification.

Some things you just have to accept and move on. If you and your husband cannot agree on a church to attend, then attend separate churches.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
✟7,664.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Like Paul said in the last verse of 1 Cor. Chaper 14 I believe... let the ignorant remain ignorant lol. Some people will never chose to accept the gifts... a lot of people made fun of the apostles in Acts saying they were drunk ;) Pray for your husband. My husband , however didn't believe either until we joined a church were the gifts were not given as much attention yet there are many gifted people and he has in turn felt way more comfortable. My pastor is gifted and talks about them; however, in the sunday sermon they are not used as much but they are used in our family meeting on Wed. Paul also said people would be uncomfortable around them sometimes like in Corin. and to tone it down a little. Remember the focus of church is to spread the gospel and to use the gifts to edify but sometimes excessive use can scare away. I used to go to a Penecostal church so until I met my husband and he wasn't comfortable with it I can understand. He still feels uncomfortable with tounges. I understand the frustration.

Upvote 0

seremela06

Senior Veteran
Jan 6, 2005
Florida
✟3,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Some things you just have to accept and move on. If you and your husband cannot agree on a church to attend, then attend separate churches.

that is not an option for us. my husband will not accept us attending seperate churches... that's where the problem is....

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.