Wauconda, IL
✟3,922.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
My favorite singer is Ani Difranco, and while I only lean to the left, she is further to the left than most any singer I can think of. I don't agree with her politics and I have never agreed with the people she has supported politicially. Still, I think she's a brilliant musician and I love her songs.

On the other hand, there are quite a few country singers I listen to that support not only Bush (who I don't support) but they also support the Iraq War (which I support even less), but I still love their music.

I think today we get way too involved in what artists do with their personal lives and less with what they do with their art form. If you enjoy the music, listen to it. It doesn't mean you support their politics.

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Jacob4Jesus said:
My favorite singer is Ani Difranco, and while I only lean to the left, she is further to the left than most any singer I can think of. I don't agree with her politics and I have never agreed with the people she has supported politicially. Still, I think she's a brilliant musician and I love her songs.

On the other hand, there are quite a few country singers I listen to that support not only Bush (who I don't support) but they also support the Iraq War (which I support even less), but I still love their music.

I think today we get way too involved in what artists do with their personal lives and less with what they do with their art form. If you enjoy the music, listen to it. It doesn't mean you support their politics.
I agree. I have never understood why anyone would want to know someone's politics or place any valure in their opinion when they are famous for being a musician or an actress or a football player, etc. How does fame alone give anyone's opinion more value than mine or the stranger I happen to meet?

Upvote 0

Aimee30

That's Me in the Corner
Oct 8, 2004
Wisconsin
✟9,271.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess it's more of a let down. I mean did they support this person into this political matter? The problem lies that I think the opposite of them. There is one that I believe should know way better than to support this person or at least say, even though I don't approve of this person totally on a personal level, but i like what he's done with such and such. It would make me feel tons better.
I fear for my religion, so many things have happened in the last few years I that make me want to say hey, "if this is what this is all about I want to give it up." I don't have herd mentality. I want the truth--not someone who caters to the in crowd of religion. So much has made me angry, "How can religion be used this way without someone checking on it?" Maybe I should shut my eyes and listen to, "I Want to Be a Clone" and laugh while I hope religion returns to the truth.

Upvote 0

Aimee30

That's Me in the Corner
Oct 8, 2004
Wisconsin
✟9,271.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How nasty, I can't find a copy of this song on the internet besides lyrics. I'd try to upload a copy myself, but I might be stopped by people screaming, "Nein, nein, nein,"
while they hit me over the head with charges of copyright infringement. You can download a copy somewhere if you look it up. Hey want to see something silly in regards to the artist of "I Want to Be a Clone"--here check this out--
http://www.sockheaven.net/press/articles/ccm_198406.html
Click on the link of "The Hidden Dangers of the Clone" for an example of people connected to the very same views politically/religiously that I am trying to get past and hopefully be able to accept their music once again. (I hope this is a joke article because the last name of 'Comments' is kind of fishy).

Upvote 0

Electric Sceptic

Dec 4, 2004
✟3,622.00
Faith
Atheist
For cryin' out loud, just tell us who the person is that they're supporting who you're so against, will you? All this "the person who cannot be named" stuff is infantile. All you have to do is say that they support XXXXXXXXX, who you don't support. There's no violation of any forum rules there.

Reactions: wanderingone
Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jacob4Jesus said:

Ani Di Franco's music annoys me.. and I want to like her but for some reason the music grates on my nerves.. .

I have to say I really don't listen to artists who are political and supportive of Bush.. fortunately most of them are not the type of music I enjoy anyway... but I do know that when artists are outspokenly for or against issues important to me it effects my enjoying their music (art, plays etc..) especially when their music or other creations voice their opinions. It's not because their opinions are any more important than anyone else's to me it's the same as the people I choose to spend time with, I don't hate the folks I know who are significantly different in their political ideals than I am.. but I don't spend a lot of time with most folks who are on the right of the political spectrum.. we just end up agitated with each other...

Upvote 0

Aimee30

That's Me in the Corner
Oct 8, 2004
Wisconsin
✟9,271.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Okay, this is the second person who gave the correct answer, see above. Whitestar was first.
I actually supported his opponent and it was not just to get the before mentioned out of office. He suggested rational solutions to problems rather than "Let's go over there and blow them up, no matter what it costs us and regarless of whether we are right or wrong" kind of thinking and like it or not his view on abortion was almost right.
See links below:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11083-2004Jun2.html
Yes, he does support choice, but is cautious to say it should be rare, which is true. Only to save a life is my idea and he pretty much believes the same thing, maybe a little different. The more I thought about the issue, this was the logical conlusion, because it's impossible to believe that it would never be necessary to save a life if one reasons it rationally. He is not for people abusing it for cosmetic purposes.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6678-2004Aug16.html
Yes, I believe he is right that we should have let the inspectors do their job. Look at what it's cost us:
http://www.americanprogress.org/site/pp.asp?c=biJRJ8OVF&b=171440
You see, I was looking for somone to lead with his head, not his fists.
Which now brings us to the burden of proof for why I think a certain someone is hypocritical:
http://www.realchange.org/bushjr.htm#partied
http://anabaptist.lifewithchrist.org/2004/11/02/god-bless-usa.html
The first one tells you of his past partying. The second shows an article, page down to see "God Bless the USA" where yoyu get a picture of his middle finger. Why does he play up his Christianity so much when he has to account for this?
These are the links I found in a hurry, there are other reasons why I feel the way I do. However, unless we want this transferred to the political forum, let's discuss the Christian artists and other Christians who ignore these issues and support him and the morality standards involved, if we are to continue this discussion.

Upvote 0

loriersea

Oct 11, 2005
Detroit, MI
Visit site
✟11,071.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
wanderingone said:
Ani Di Franco's music annoys me.. and I want to like her but for some reason the music grates on my nerves.. .

I have to say I really don't listen to artists who are political and supportive of Bush.. fortunately most of them are not the type of music I enjoy anyway... but I do know that when artists are outspokenly for or against issues important to me it effects my enjoying their music (art, plays etc..) especially when their music or other creations voice their opinions. It's not because their opinions are any more important than anyone else's to me it's the same as the people I choose to spend time with, I don't hate the folks I know who are significantly different in their political ideals than I am.. but I don't spend a lot of time with most folks who are on the right of the political spectrum.. we just end up agitated with each other...

I agree with that entirely, including the part about wanting to like Ani DiFranco but not being able to. I went with a good friend of mine to an Ani concert, and it was all in all a rather unpleasant experience, musically.

But in general I tend to listen to music that is more politically-oriented anyway, or that at least deals with real-world issues, and so I obviously am not going to enjoy a song that supports people or causes I can't support, even if they have a really good beat.

Aimee, I'd recommend a few albums/artists to you that I think you might enjoy. They are pretty theologically and musically different, but they all produce Christian music that doesn't fall into the cliches of CCM:

Derek Webb, She Must and Shall Go Free and Mockingbird
Buddy Miller, United Universal House of Prayer
Iris Dement, Lifeline
Carrie Newcomer, A Gathering of Spirits

Those are my very favorite Christian artists, and I enjoy their music both musically and for what they have to say.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Aimee30 said:
I can't say who the person is, otherwise I have to have proof and saying who this person is will likely get me in trouble and perhaps reported.
It's just that some of the ones I liked a lot attended an event that I would not agree with that was in support of him. One didn't sttend the event but is connected to the others who did and actually complimented him on his efforts for AIDS relief, not that I think it's wrong to support AIDS relief, I just have doubts whether that person is trustworthy or not if he says nice things about the guy and is connected to people who support him.

Do I have this right?

You like musical artist ABC.

There was an event, for some cause you would not support and at that event, person XYZ said nice things about ABC and ABC's efforts for the cause. You do not trust person XYZ, and so you wonder about person ABC - how good of a guy can ABC be if XYZ says nice thigs about him?

Is that it?

Upvote 0

Aimee30

That's Me in the Corner
Oct 8, 2004
Wisconsin
✟9,271.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How many more clues do I have to give when I said Whitestar and Wanderingone got the right answer. I have web pages posted in the reply that say his name. It satrts with B and sounds like push, does that help now? How about I act it out? What do you with tapes to copy one to the other? Answer: Dub What is a slang word for yes? Answer: ya Put them together and you get the answer. Or maybe I should post some more links to silly stuff he's done.
http://www.awolbush.com/
http://www.thedubyareport.com/
This however is not a political discussion, but how anyone who is in Christian rock can support him.
I may add some more links later. I guess I thought someone had posted that they didn't know who it was again, sorry. The links are helpful, anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jacob4Jesus

Dork For Jesus and Proud of It
Sep 18, 2003
Wauconda, IL
✟3,922.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Aimee30 said:
How many more clues do I have to give when I said Whitestar and Wanderingone got the right answer. I have web pages posted in the reply that say his name. It satrts with B and sounds like push, does that help now? How about I act it out? What do you with tapes to copy one to the other? Answer: Dub What is a slang word for yes? Answer: ya Put them together and you get the answer. Or maybe I should post some more links to silly stuff he's done.
http://www.awolbush.com/
http://www.thedubyareport.com/
This however is not a political discussion, but how anyone who is in Christian rock can support him.
I may add some more links later. I guess I thought someone had posted that they didn't know who it was again, sorry. The links are helpful, anyway.

I thought it was kinda obvious from the beginning who you meant. I think that maybe everyone knew, but they just wanted you to admit it.

Upvote 0

Aimee30

That's Me in the Corner
Oct 8, 2004
Wisconsin
✟9,271.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's not a game. I was trying to avoid A. being shifted to the political discussion thread,
B. Being reported for accusing someone of being said hypocrite and being accused of judging without reasonable evidence, which got one of my threads deleted,
C. I was told that the government is spying on people who show dissent toward Bush.
Okay, now I am upset, who's being the judge now? You are making pointless accusations without proof on my character when I merely wished to avoid trouble because of the name Bush. If it keeps up I will have this thread closed.
I wrote those tired questions because obviously some people don't understand to leave well enough alone, I'm sure if Jesus can ask the Pharisees where his power comes from and they can't answer and said then neither will I tell you, you would think it's fine and grown-up and everything. Some people seem to obviously have nothing better to do than make accusations, if anyone posts any more attacks on my character this thread is closed, got it?

Upvote 0

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I see why people are frustrated, it is kind of odd considering we live in a free country and this is an anonymous message board and all. What in the world would 'the government' be doing spying on people who criticize Bush? EVERYONE CRITICIZES THE GOVERNMENT. What do you fear they would do if they identified you and tracked you down? I'm sorry but I don't get it.

As for the OP....if you take the stand that you will only deal with people who think and believe exactly as you then you will deal with no one, ever. There isn't a person alive who agrees 100% about everything with another person. Listen to you music and let it inspire you and nevermind the rest or you will drive yourself crazy and start see conspiracies and such.

Upvote 0

Aimee30

That's Me in the Corner
Oct 8, 2004
Wisconsin
✟9,271.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Something was posted on the political forum to be careful of what you say because they may be questioning people who show signs of dissent.
I don't think this is the thread where it was said, but the following I believe describes what they were referring to:
http://www.christianforums.com/t2415634-bush-acknowledges-approving-eavesdropping.html
Anyway, I have the tendency to think the worst especially when my relatives keep saying things like, "You'll end up in Guatanamo," when I order books describing his faults and criticize him--even though they don't like him either. The lastest they threatened me with was some rumor that Bush was now sending people to Siberia, where there are no restrictions on torture. I wonder why I don't like my relatives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aimee30

That's Me in the Corner
Oct 8, 2004
Wisconsin
✟9,271.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Okay, I don't want to bring up the discussion about myself again, but thinking about the matter, I have decided that maybe some were looking for the groups as well. So to get the thread back on topic here is an article with some of the groups:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54835-2004Sep1.html
Third Day has got to be the biggest disappointment so far in this list. I loved their last album and Conspiracy Number 5. I think I will look up and see who else was on the roster.
Okay found one with more information below:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54835-2004Sep1.html
If anyone has a list of the entire amount of Christian Rock groups that were at the Inauguration of Bush I would really like to know--I am pulling them from my collection--although if one ceratin artist was there, I may forgive him because he should have been smart enough to see the truth on this matter by now.
Also I am going to post the link to Noing, Noing--even though I don't like the web page. Scroll down to the article called "Casting Clowns," and see for yourself what "Casting Crowns" supposedly did:
http://www.noingnoing.net/home/2005/09/

Upvote 0