Have your views ever changed as the result of a discussion on CF?

Have your views ever changed as the result of a discussion on CF?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟907,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Partly.

Community is a large part of Christianity and quite frankly I've been sickened the attitudes, apathy and lack of compassion I've seen by an alarming amount of professed Christians.

I'd say more are good than bad, but it certainly prompted me to think about things that in turn lead to me no longer identifying as Christian.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟907,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
More moderated than outright changed - except in specific instances where I realized I was factually wrong.

You know a situation is bad when I feel like congratulating you for having it in you to accept you're wrong and adapting. We need more of that here :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes. I joined this site as a god loving christian. The attitudes of many of those who also identify that way here made me realize that it must be only our human spirit that causes good. It sure can't be any god who allows what's seen here.

If it's not too personal of a question to ask, how long were you a Christian prior to joining here? Was it a gradual siphoning off of your previous Christian beliefs through being here or something that happened quickly? Is there any possibility that in your personal life you'd revert to being a Christian? I'm asking that purely out of curiosity and not as a leading question.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,276,830.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

I voted yes bc when I first joined CF I thought I Was orthodox in my Christian beliefs but have since honed my understanding of Christianity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My "views" are primarily a function of my core beliefs, which have not changed though in some cases have been bolstered or strengthened - yes.

My opinions being a function of the facts at hand, tempered by core beliefs have changed at times, certainly. I've been corrected on facts, details, etc.

I come here to learn the arguments and rationales for a world view to which mine is diammetrically opposed - the purpose being to more effectively address it, rationally, logically. I do not expect or presume to be able to change it - at least not in this venue. In one sense I've learned that that is not possible, that there is little logic or reason embraced by that world view. I have tempered my approach somewhat, which is primarily objective, with the understanding that there is value in appreciating the subjective, that the subjective plays a stronger role for some than does the objective, that emotion and feelings are for some more important than reason and logic. Some for example embrace faith without reason; some, to be sure embrace faith without emotion. I am neither, though perhaps more toward the latter.

Many come here, not with the purpose of learning, of questioning, but with the purpose of asserting, their only questions, when they do ask them being but disingenuous, twisted forms of assertions misrepresenting the opposing view/argument, capped with a "?" They are easily ignorable, and rightfully so.

Some come here as irritants, mere contrarians whose purpose is to ridicule, sneer, and cajole. That seems to be their only form of argument. They believe they are right but haven't a clue as to why, and probably don't care to know why. In more honest times they might actually be the ones capable of change, of admitting the rationale for their position is untenable and embrace something else, if they didn't enjoy irritating others more.

Periodically, I see an individual show up in A-P wanting perhaps to learn something but quickly realizing they simply aren't prepared for what it takes TO learn. They're not educated on the topics, haven't studied their own positions to know why they hold them, and basically have never been in a situation (like this) where they've been expected to defend their positions. They last a few posts and you never see them again, or they wander to the fellowship and recreation threads where they can play word and number games, post whatever smilie they want without fear of vindictive reprisal - and they're happy. Good for them, I suppose.

Some come here with a certain expection of rights - the right to express their opinions and make assertions without them being challenged or disputed. When they are challenged, they feel their rights have been abused and take personal umbrage at the challenge and so rather than address the challenge they run to the report button for their intellectual security. They don't last long here either.

Some like to use this venue as an excuse for their own failings, claiming all manner of abuse to their person, their views, their faith, their... whatever - as if the words of a handful of anonymous individuals are responsible for their insecurity, their doubts, or their lack, or loss of faith in God. I've seen a number of people change their faith icons for example, blaming anonymous people on an Internet chat site for the change. I don't buy that for an instant. I certainly don't accept any responsibility for what I consider a sad, pathetic, cowardly excuse because what can be more cowardly than to blame anonymous people whose names you don't even know, have never met for your own doubts and fears? Of all the people that NEED to change something, I suspect it's them.

Have my views changed as a result of seeing all this, and more here? Yeah, but the change would have to be, in general, towards bolstering my views rather than diminishing them, because I've not been given anything rational for doing the latter.

I will say that my views have changed towards some other members here, members whose views are diammetrically opposed to mine, but who, after much debate I've at least come to respect, and for whom my temptations towards harboring animus for them have diminished significantly. They're still wrong ;) but I feel at least a little more of a connection with them in respect.

I do apologize to those however with whom I've let my passions get the better of me at times. I am (I hope) changing at least in that regard.

Reactions: Sistrin
Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Nothing to change. When you're right, you're right

And when you are stubborn, you are stubborn. We learn more from accepting our mistakes than playing them off as successes. I have abandoned many inaccurate and outright ignorant perspectives by being on this site and interacting with others. And I don't deny that I used to have those positions either. Being wrong is one of the "fun" things about being human.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And when you are stubborn, you are stubborn. We learn more from accepting our mistakes than playing them off as successes. I have abandoned many inaccurate and outright ignorant perspectives by being on this site and interacting with others. And I don't deny that I used to have those positions either. Being wrong is one of the "fun" things about being human.
When you're right, stubborn doesn't come into play.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes

Some of my views changed over the years since I joined CF. For example, I was a theist when WinAce, (FSTDT founder), was around. But it's not just CF. I visit other discussion boards and websites too.
WinAce was in interesting character in that he sought compassion for his circumstances while taking pleasure in holding up for ridicule the people who held opinions different from his. Rather than work to change my views he confirmed them such as how some liberals preach tolerance while being intolerant themselves, like WinAce

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
When you're right, stubborn doesn't come into play.

Sure it does, stubborn as a trait has nothing to do with accuracy. You can stubbornly assert something which is factual just as much as you can be stubborn about something which is false. Plus, it is impossible for a person to always be right.

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sure it does, stubborn as a trait has nothing to do with accuracy. You can stubbornly assert something which is factual just as much as you can be stubborn about something which is false. Plus, it is impossible for a person to always be right.

Or make a vague enough post to dance around any refutation. :wave:

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Using that logic, one would have to reject the truth and be wrong on purpose just to not be stubborn

Upvote 0