Have you ever noticed certain sins being promoted in certain Christian films or TV shows?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever noticed certain sins being promoted in certain Christian films or TV shows?

One sin that my wife and I noticed that seems to crop up from time to time in Christian movies, and TV shows is the sin of lying.

In the Christian movie called "The Last Flight Out," the female lead character had lied so as to smooth a situation over with the chief tribes person to protect her old love interest. It was actually supposed to be a bit of joke, but in God's eyes lying is a sin and it is very serious.

In the supposed Christian TV show called "When Calls The Heart" they also promoted the sin of lying, as well.

Have you noticed this or any other sin in Christian films or TV series?

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

One sin that my wife and I noticed that seems to crop up from time to time in Christian movies, and TV shows is the sin of lying.

In the Christian movie called "The Last Flight Out," the female lead character had lied so as to smooth a situation over with the chief tribes person to protect her old love interest. It was actually supposed to be a bit of joke, but in God's eyes lying is a sin and it is very serious.

In the supposed Christian TV show called "When Calls The Heart" they also promoted the sin of lying, as well.

Have you noticed this or any other sin in Christian films or TV series?
Isn't the devil a sly one?
Having recognized that not all supposedly Christian programming is actually Christian, it is now your ability to always see through the cloud of disinformation and slander foisted on our Lord and the real church.
By including a minor sin as the norm for Christians, the devil has tainted the whole lot of us.

Keep your eyes open...and good work!

Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Tyler Perry's plays, movies and TV shows claim to be 'Christian' but no one behaves like a Christian in his stories. He dresses like a woman, which is a sin according to the old testament in the Bible. In one movie, the characters are afraid to call the police, or 'pobo' because they all have warrants out for their arrest! What kind of people have warrants out for their arrests and live beneath the law? Madea is violent, abusive, rude, swearing with foul language and takes the Lord's name in vain, she is bossy and bullies children and decent people, she is defiant of the law and respects no one. The people commit adultery, fornication, prostitution, drug use and drug dealing, theft, getting drunk, teens defying, disobeying their parents, sneaking out to wild parties while dressed sleazy, smoking cigarette, driving wild, irresponsibly, dangerously, getting involved with gangs, beating people up, all of these things, and of course there is a lot of lying.

The people doing these things are black, and some think it is natural for black people to behave this way. I disagree, if white people can behave like good Christians, black Christians should be expected to behave like Christians, Black Christians should not have Tyler Perry standards, they should have Billy Graham standards, the same as white people.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tyler Perry's plays, movies and TV shows claim to be 'Christian' but no one behaves like a Christian in his stories. He dresses like a woman, which is a sin according to the old testament in the Bible. In one movie, the characters are afraid to call the police, or 'pobo' because they all have warrants out for their arrest! What kind of people have warrants out for their arrests and live beneath the law? Madea is violent, abusive, rude, swearing with foul language and takes the Lord's name in vain, she is bossy and bullies children and decent people, she is defiant of the law and respects no one. The people commit adultery, fornication, prostitution, drug use and drug dealing, theft, getting drunk, teens defying, disobeying their parents, sneaking out to wild parties while dressed sleazy, smoking cigarette, driving wild, irresponsibly, dangerously, getting involved with gangs, beating people up, all of these things, and of course there is a lot of lying.

The people doing these things are black, and some think it is natural for black people to behave this way. I disagree, if white people can behave like good Christians, black Christians should be expected to behave like Christians, Black Christians should not have Tyler Perry standards, they should have Billy Graham standards, the same as white people.
Yeah, I've never been comfortable with those movies. The crossdressing alone is odd, but the obscene humor, and as mentioned, pretty low bar the films set for African-American Christian life is disturbing.

Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am disappointed with Lori Loughlin for her lies and cheating on tests, using bribes and dishonesty to get her daughters an unfair advantage in college, and I'm also disappointed in the actor who played Jack, because he quit the show for more important acting jobs and more money. yeah, i think lying was promoted in the show, and this was one of my family's favorite TV shows, me and my parents really liked it. There's a similar show, but I'm not sure if it is still on Hallmark channel. The movies are so much alike. I am writing fictional stories, usually Christian fantasy, the world needs better stories. Maybe I should read more instead of watching tV and movies.

I am relieved that so far no one has called me a racist. I don't see why the movies are called Christian in the first place. I'm glad you understand. They can do better than that. It is so hard to find good movies and TV, there is violence, blasphemy, witchcraft, lust, perversion, foul and obscene comedy, and stuff that is just plain boring, or corny. I hope maybe i can have my stories published in a book, then maybe a movie!

Upvote 0

Alistair_Wonderland

Apr 14, 2018
New Philadelphia
✟28,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The sin of pride and portraying unbelievers as soulless evil menaces rather than as tragically lost brothers and sisters who are loved by God, perpetrating division and hatred. - far too many Christian movies

The sin of promoting the laws of man (e.g. Republican political opinions) as the law of God. God don't give a donut about your political opinion, America is not God's country any more or less than Russia or India, and again, you're teaching people to hate others who think differently than you, rather than teaching correcting others in love and humility as fellow sinners.

That was easy. It's why I've learnt more about God from secular movies than Christian movies. Sadly, secular films have led me to be far more understanding about communities I disagree with, like the gay community, than any Christian film has, which has in turn helped me to treat others with love and try and guide them to the light in gentleness and humility, rather than seeing them as the "bad guy".
Not saying all Christian movies are like this. Just enough so that I avoid Christian movies in general.

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are some really great Christian films out there. Time Changer, the Redemption of Henry Myers, the War Within, and Play the Flute are at the top of my list of Christian must see films. Unfortunately, most in the church today want to justify sin on some level, and so watching secular sinful movies is not a problem for them (where the Lord's name is taken in vain, or where adultery is rampant, etc.).

Upvote 0