Have you ever had bad thoughts about God?

Schrodinger's Hat

Weird guy
Apr 4, 2012
Christian Forums
✟21,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure whether or not this is the right place for this thread;please tell me if it's not.Anyway,I'm extremely ashamed to say this,but for quite some time I've had trouble with thinking bad thoughts about God.It's probably best if I don't describe the thoughts,but I usually don't have them often,except when it's at its worst.Of course,even if it happened once a year,that would be bad enough.Now,believe me-I am a Christian.I know God is perfect and I love Him more than anything in the world.I know for a fact that the thoughts are not true,could not be farther from the truth,but it's hard to stop.The main reason it keeps happening,I think,is that when I think about thinking the thoughts,that makes me think them again,if you can understand that.Anyway,this seems like a pretty common problem,so have any of you had this happen to you too?God bless you all.Glory be to GOD!:bow:

Qwerty, I know what you mean, and have had thoughts probably along the same lines. I look at them as shock value thoughts put in my head by...well saying Satan sounds a little crazy...but Satan. God knows I don't mean them, and that they have absolutely no truth or value. They just pop into my head as if trying to test me. All I can do is laugh and shake my head, look at the cross on my wall during prayer and say "obviously that's not in my heart, Lord."

Fiona, would you send me the same pm, if it pertains to my problem? As I do wish they'd stop, regardless of knowing that they're meaningless.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

MyLordMySavior

MyLordMySavior
Jun 25, 2012
✟8,821.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have the same problem! My thoughts are so embarrassing, so troubling I feel so sick to my stomach when they come into my head you don't even know. I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW MUCH I WISH THEY WOULD GO AWAY. I pray, but I think because I focus on ignoring them, it just kinda... does the opposite. I want to rip my hair out when they came because I am so horrified that I would think something like that. I usually start rubbing my head hard thinking it'll make them go away but it doesn't. It bothers me so much. :'(

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OOH! Me too! AAAARRRRGGGG!!!!! I compared myself to Jonah in another thread, and I will explain why.

I am married to a man who struggles with demonic forces. He doesn't believe it, but I see it, and I see my prayers work when I am strong enough to pray and not BECOME prey to his behavior while "under the influence." This stuff is ROUGH YO! I can't stand it sometimes, yet I have heard CLEARLY that God has me in this position for a reason, and this is where I am meant to be.
I get so tired of struggle and drama, and not even just with my husband, who truly is a wonderful man btw. He is the best part of my life. (We must remember that we do not struggle against flesh and blood but principalities and powers)
Its everything though! Sometimes I feel like my life is one big crisis! I get so angry!

I am going to take a leap and tell you exactly what my thoughts on God have been:
"Why can't you just BLESS me instead of cursing me all the time?" (This is an inaccurate thought, because God doesn't curse, but we do sometimes get ourselves into positions and can't see why its actually our OWN fault we've been cursed)
"Why is the calling You have for me so hard? I can't do it, and don't want to! I don't CARE that if I follow You things will get better I don't! Just give me EASY for FIVE (blessanddonotcurse) MINUTES!" (Again, inaccurate, because God promised us abundant, blessed life if we follow Him. He did not promise easy, but blessed. We must learn to see the difference)
"You know what? I'm just gonna go out and be like the "heathens" because they are the ones with all the money and happiness! I spend all my time trying to please You, and STILL things are hard! I CANTTAKEITANYMORE!" (Remember this, when we put our daily struggle into the spectrum of eternal life, it really is inconsequential. We just have to get to a place where we remember this when things get rough)

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I still struggle with these thoughts. But I also repent of them when they come through.
Always know, God loves you even when you think badly of Him because you or some other human has caused pain in your life.
But I really understand why its hard to remember sometimes.
BLESSINGS! You are not the only one!

Upvote 0

ChildOfTheLight

Bible Thumpin' Jesus Freak
Aug 2, 2012
Flint MI
✟15,492.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I often use this sermon alot because it is what touched myself.

Being a true man is being responsible. Most men don't take care of there responsibilities, like chores, yard work, not listening to mom and dad. And just now feeling that he should own up to his responsibilities. When that is what God has called us to do as men is to own up to our responsibilities. I tell you what Jesus is the perfect man and he took responsibility for something he didn't even do... he went to the cross for people... he never committed a sin but yet he goes to the cross for us. So you have to get the picture from Jesus. You get the picture from Adam your gonna be all mixed up. See Adam didn't play the responsible role. He shifted the blame. God came looking for Adam like "Yo Adam where you at?" He's hiding. Instead of stepping up to the plate and sayin' "I'm over here trippin'" "You know that fruit, ya, i messed around and ate that" God was like "Yo what happened Adam?" He's like "The woman that you gave me..." He starts blaming stuff on the woman. Man being responsible means you GIVE life you don't TAKE it. Don't drain woman, don't drain people of life. Be a life giver! People should be more filled, more enriched because of you. Step up to the plate and take responsibility for your actions

Remember to Pray

God Bless, and Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Mar 5, 2013
Upstate NY
✟7,602.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
A reply to Qwerty35...I too have this same exact problem and sometimes I pray to the LORD in tears asking for these thoughts to go away. The thoughts seem to happen most when I either start reading the bible or pray or even watch something regarding Jesus. I love the Lord Jesus with all my heart & soul and I pray that he will not hold these terrible thoughts against me because they are not what I really feel. I've never had this happen to me before in my entire life and it started about 4 years ago and I don't know why. I was thinking of going to a hypnotist to possible help me with say "thought control" Should you have any suggestions for me, please reply. Thank you and God Bless you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For your consideration:

This is what I've learned -

We may not be responsible for that first thought (2 Corinthians 11:3, Gen 3) but we are from that point on. That's the reason we're to take every thought captive (II Cor 10:5) and renew our minds with His Word (Rom 12:2). So when bad thoughts come, immediately start thinking about Scripture such as Psa 91:2; Nahum 1:7. You know, locate some that are meaningful to you.

Taking every thought captive may be difficult to do in the beginning. But it will get easier and it'll change your life because "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee." Isa 26:3 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Phililpians 4:13 "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." Philippians 4:8 ETC

Also, since our spirits believe The Word (John 6:63), we can saturate them with more of G_d's Word such as located audio Bibles at Biblegateway.com and listen - love Psa 145.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cnk12

Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2013
✟33,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm new here... this will be my first post.

I think what you're describing are called intrusive thoughts, and they're perfectly normal. Almost everyone gets them at one time or another. From what I've read, having them frequently can be a result of OCD and/or anxiety. Here is a web site that may help...

Do a google search for...

ocdfree.tumblr.com/howtoovercomeintrusivethoughts

Being a new member, I can't put links in my message.

One of the first things it says is that those kinds of thoughts typically reflect the opposite of who the person truly is. I guess that's why they call them intrusive and disturbing thoughts. Best of luck, God bless.

Upvote 0

JustAnObserver26

Truth Seeker
May 13, 2013
Seattle, Washington
✟7,649.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I often use this sermon alot because it is what touched myself.

Being a true man is being responsible. Most men don't take care of there responsibilities, like chores, yard work, not listening to mom and dad. And just now feeling that he should own up to his responsibilities. When that is what God has called us to do as men is to own up to our responsibilities. I tell you what Jesus is the perfect man and he took responsibility for something he didn't even do... he went to the cross for people... he never committed a sin but yet he goes to the cross for us. So you have to get the picture from Jesus. You get the picture from Adam your gonna be all mixed up. See Adam didn't play the responsible role. He shifted the blame. God came looking for Adam like "Yo Adam where you at?" He's hiding. Instead of stepping up to the plate and sayin' "I'm over here trippin'" "You know that fruit, ya, i messed around and ate that" God was like "Yo what happened Adam?" He's like "The woman that you gave me..." He starts blaming stuff on the woman. Man being responsible means you GIVE life you don't TAKE it. Don't drain woman, don't drain people of life. Be a life giver! People should be more filled, more enriched because of you. Step up to the plate and take responsibility for your actions

Remember to Pray

God Bless, and Hope this helps.

I love this. Hahaha

Upvote 0

tessmarie93

Jun 14, 2013
✟15,137.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have the same problem... Not only with God but with people I love and care about a lot! Never about people I do not care for. I want to cry sometimes, because I love these individuals. Its like im not doing it. I feel like something else is putting the thought in my head, and its like repeating the same line... I don't dwell on it in fear of something evil.

Upvote 0

orangeness365

Feb 4, 2013
✟6,329.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have this problem when I think about hell. I'm like grr I have a strong possibility of ending up in hell a place created by God? What if I end up there? Why can't we all just be made perfect and taken to heaven with Jesus? Isn't that what everybody would want?
However, Jesus is perfect and He is worthy to judge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JustAnObserver26

Truth Seeker
May 13, 2013
Seattle, Washington
✟7,649.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have this problem when I think about hell. I'm like grr I have a strong possibility of ending up in hell a place created by God? What if I end up there? Why can't we all just be made perfect and taken to heaven with Jesus? Isn't that what everybody would want?
However, Jesus is perfect and He is worthy to judge.

Be at peace! You are saved. Believe it!
Jesus didn't die and be raised for the righteous, He died for the sinners on all scales, you and me! Believe it! Have faith!

God loves you more than anything in the world.

Listen to In Christ Alone on YouTube, it will bring you peace of mind, sister.

Upvote 0

Alexanderjt

Aug 16, 2019
Jackson
✟7,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Guys,

I was reading this and I believe that the spirit is leading me to share this with all of you. I too have struggled with this and this is what has been revealed to me. These are my notes on this subject.

Question: Why cant i stop thinking negative thoughts about God and the things of God and how do I deal with it?

Firstly, the way you deal with it is by gaining understanding. You may not understand what this means but just hang in there with me and hopefully it makes sense in the end.

Second answer is because you are a human. It is perfectly normal as a human to have flaws of all sorts. Nobody's perfect and everyone has things like this they experience the only different is how big of a deal we make it. Being humans also, we are sinful people.

In Romans Chapter 7:15-16 it says: I do not understand what I do . For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good.

... the believer, so to speak, is a person with two natures, the old and the new."
  • old nature - of sin; self seeking; apart from/opposed to "God"
  • new nature - of the spirit; selfless; of God
What we are called to do:
- You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh (old nature); rather, serve one another humbly in love (new nature) (Gal:513)
How to achieve this?
- So I say, walk by the spirit (new nature), and you will not satisfy the desires of the flesh (old nature); For the old nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit (new nature), and the spirit (new nature) what is contrary to the flesh (old nature). (Gal:14-16)

(Summation/Understanding)
- the two natures are in complete conflict with each other so that you wont do whatever you want. But if you are led by the spirit you are not under the law (Gal 5:18).

- A huge problem with the initially stated question is that we have been living as though we are still under the law. And that can only produce wrath/death. (i.e. more negative thoughts in this situation)

- A huge part of why you keep thinking frequent negative thoughts about God is because in your mind it's "forbidden". (It's not a great thing but sin is sin but you are magnifying this one using the logic of the law instead of the grace of the cross)
--- By operating under the old nature way of thinking, the only way I could be right is by performance. (Basically never thinking those thoughts again, or else (which is the problem)).
--- When you miss the mark you realize how wrong you are and the guilt/shame can never help you to stop doing this behavior (What the law could not do because of sinful flesh is why Jesus came in the first place).

Scriptural Tide:
Nevertheless, I would not have known that sin was had it not been for the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said,"You shall not covet." But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of coveting. For apart from the law, sin was dead. (Rom 7-8)

- So if you live my life praying and hoping that sinful thoughts do not come, even though they have no more power over me (Read all of Romans/Galatians), you are putting myself where you don't belong back under the law and that will only produce failure in your life (flesh minded).

- The mind governed by the flesh is naturally against God (Romans)
-- The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. (Roman8:6). The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so (Romans 8:7)

- So by trying not to think of negative thoughts and be right in terms of the law you inadvertently set yourself up for failure.

In conclusion, You can deal with or stop having excessive negative thoughts about God and whatever else by giving up the flesh mindset of trying to be right in and of yourself (It will never happen)
  • It is impossible for those in the flesh to please God. (Romans 8:8)
  • You however are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit...(Rom 8:9)
  • Thanks be to God, who delivers me from the body of this death through JEsus Chris our Lord! (Rom 7:24-25)
  • I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard? Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh? (Gal 3: 2-3)
Parting Words:
- We have a real enemy so understanding of the word and the truth is necessary in fighting him off. He is a defeated foe so you have the advantage. Read through all of Romans and Galatians for this information.

Upvote 0