Have You Ever Got A Word from God That Hurt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzypooh

A Jewel In His Sight
Jul 5, 2007
Illinois
✟17,408.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Me and my sister-in-law were discussing this last month. She was talking to me about a prophetic word she had got recently at church, but she was upset with it. The prophetess was talking to her about some things that were going on in her life, and then when she revealed the source and told her why those things were the way they were my sister-in-law didn't like it very much. She became angry and offended. I have been guilty of this before as well and had to repent - becoming offended at the truth. That's nothing but our flesh raging up to protect itself from being crucified. But we have to bring it into subjection before it brings us into subjection.

The spirit of offense is very strong, and can be a huge hindrance to your spiritual growth because it is rooted in pride - a characteristic of satan. It takes a humble and mature saint to be able to receive rebuke and correction. Being offended by the truth doesn't change the fact that it's still truth. We have to remember that all the time God is not giving us well-wishes and good tidings. Sometimes He has to correct us, tell us where we're messing up at, and put a charge on us. That's what a good, loving Father does. And that doesn't always feel good. It hurts when God comes against our flesh, but the Bible teaches us that He chastens those He loves and that we shouldn't despise His chastening:

Hebrews 12: 5-6, 9-11
5 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: 6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth... 9 Furthermore, we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? 10 For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness. 11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

Verse 9 says that if we reverenced (yielded to and respected) our earthly fathers when they corrected us, then how much more should we yield to God when He corrects us? He corrects us for our own profit, so that we might be partakers of His holiness. Isn't that the objective in our walk with God? To reflect His image, which is holiness? Naturally correction and discipline doesn't bring us joy; it brings us pain and grief. But the scripture says that afterwards, it produces in us the righteousness of God to those who have been exercised (or trained) by it. So correction is meant to train us in the ways of God. That's why the Bible says 'train up a child in the way that they should go.' You train through discipline and correction. Our heavenly Father is the same way.

So after I left my sister's house and went home, a few days later I was thinking about our conversation and all we had discussed. And this is the scripture the Lord took me to:

2 Corinthians 7: 8-10
8 For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season. 9 Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing. 10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Sometimes God's ministers may deliver a hurtful word to us that causes us much pain in our flesh, but we are not to be angry with them for it. They are only the messengers. Rebuke and correction is supposed to bring us pain. It's supposed to make us sorry for what we've done. Just because the word may have hurt us that doesn't mean that the minister is to repent or apologize to us for it. It also doesn't mean that God has not called them. (We often say that the minute they give us a word we don't like...) It just means that they're human, and as human vessels we may not always deliver the Word perfectly because we're not perfect vessels. But at the same time, the pain that we feel from that Word is only for a season... until it brings forth maturity in that area.

The pain is not meant to destroy us but to produce godly sorrow within us. It may crush us in spirit, but the only way we can come to God is with a broken spirit. That's why He admonishes us to be clothed with humility, because He resists the proud but He gives grace to the humble (1 Pet. 5:5). That's what true repentence is. True repentance is a result of godly sorrow and sorrow is a result of pain (not physical pain, but the pain that comes from your flesh being crucified). But the pain you are experiencing is not because God is trying to hurt you or the person ministering the Word is trying to hurt you. If you focus in on just the hurt then you miss the objective of the whole thing. The Bible says that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance (Rom. 2:4).

So the objective of it is to produce GODLY SORROW, which produces REPENTANCE, which brings forth DELIVERANCE, and that continual deliverance is what perfects HOLINESS in our lives (2 Cor. 7:1). That means that this is a never-ending process in the life of the believer. So until we die and go on to be with the Lord, it'll always be this process:

PAIN -> GODLY SORROW (not condemnation!) -> REPENTANCE -> DELIVERANCE -> HOLINESS in every area of your life until the nature of Christ is produced in that area. That's how God crucifies the flesh and teaches you how to walk in the Spirit. But the devil wants you to stay stuck at that first stage - on the pain until you become offended with the Word, bitter towards God, and mad at the preacher. That's how he keeps you from growing in God. He keeps you stuck at that stage of immaturity so that he can keep you in bondage to sin and forever walking after your flesh.

Matthew 11:6
And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in Me.

In the Amp, it says blessed is he who takes no offense at Me and finds no cause for stumbling in or through Me and is not hindered from seeing the Truth.

That's what the spirit of offense does. It causes you to stumble and hinders you from seeing the Truth. So if it can cause you to stumble, then that means that it gives place to the devil or an entry point for the devil to come in and cause you to stumble in your walk with God. But the Bible says, 'Great peace have they which love thy Law and NOTHING shall offend them' (Ps. 119:165). The way you battle against the spirit of offense is by humbling yourself and falling in love with the Word of God. There's no way you can be offended by something that gives you great peace and that you are totally in love with.

Love,
~jazzy

Reactions: mourningdove~

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hi Jazzy,

Yep most hurts, and offences can be manifested by our pride. But, at the same time we can be hurt and offended by malicious innuendoes, tactless comments, and many forms of rejection.

These days I don't have much trust or faith the modern prophets of today as many of them work in flesh, and a form of witchcraft. Some are aware of those people’s problems, and so are the familiar spirits who may be used by such prophets. We must test all spirits, and particularly the spirits of the many prophets that adorn the foyers of the Body of Christ, as they are a dime a dozen these days, and many prophesise in the flesh, more so than in the Spirit.

And when we do get hurt or offended we can become angry and bitter. But, we still need to make ourselves to be aware of the shortcomings of these ministries.

His Word says that we shouldn't let the sun set on anger, and we shouldn't allow the root (spirit) of bitterness to spring and defile others around us.

As honest you are in your thread, but we still need to be aware, beware, and don’t unaware that many of the proclaimed prophets are not really who they are, and can cause those, who they prophesise over much harm. As in the case of your sister, the prophet may have been accurate, but at the same time she may have been hearing from a counterfeit that wasn’t really of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The spirit of Herod is ripe throughout the Body of Christ.

Yes, we do get offended when we hear the truth.

When this happens we then need to overcome and conquer our feeling and our wrongdoings by taking it all to our Lord Jesus Christ, all our past hurts and offences that have probably been stored deep down within us many years. Like your sister-in-law should take her feelings right there and then to our Lord Jesus Christ in confession and repentance.

Many times, when we still carry deep down hurt and offence, and just one word will trigger a reaction from our past life, and all our anger and bitterness wells us from within us.

No doubt there is still some garbage that your sister-in-law is still carrying around deep down within her “soul”. It appears that it’s time that she handled these problems through good God-anointed Christian counselling.

Yes, pride is usually the main offender.

But, when we can take our failings to our Lord Jesus Christ in verbal prayer confessing and repenting those feelings that have bubbled up out of our "soul", flowing out of our heart, and spewing out of our mouth indicates much hurt and offence deep down.

Pain isn’t there to destroy, but the enemy will always be trying to steal, destroy, and kill. And that is why your sister-in-law needs to take all of her problems to our Lord Jesus Christ through confession, repentance, and forgiveness.

When we forgive we forgive those who hurt and offend us, but we also need to love them.

When we battle the spirit of offence or any spirit, we do so by His Blood, by our obedience and discipline, by submitting to our Lord Jesus Christ through confession, repentance and forgiveness in love to all who have hurt and offended us.

It’s all about the two commandments that we forgive one another, and love one another.

Grace doesn’t save us from sin!

When we allow hurts and offences to cause us anger, bitterness, and grief, then we allow the enemy a foothold into our “house”, which has become “empty, swept, and put in order”. Once our “house” is: filled; cleansed and refined; transformed and renewed, then the enemy will flee.

Upvote 0

jazzypooh

A Jewel In His Sight
Jul 5, 2007
Illinois
✟17,408.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
amen. i understand what you're saying and i totally agree.

as far as the prophets go, that's why the Bible says to know them that labor among you. u have to know their lifestyle and examine the fruit they bear, not the gift they have. and the fruit is there so i have no reason to believe she's a false prophetess. her lifestyle matches her calling. and what's most important in identifying a true prophet of God is that they lead u to the heart of God and not to themselves to make a name for themselves. they understand their role in the Body, yet they walk in humility in their calling.

there are definitely a lot of false prophets out there. like u said, we have to try the spirit by the Spirit. that's why its IMPERATIVE that u have your own relationship with God and know His Word for yourself. that cannot be stressed enough. that way no one can come to you in deception and lead u astray, because u know God for yourself and not just through your leader or some other man.

but on the other hand, just because there are deceivers that doesn't mean that there aren't any true prophets of God still around. God always preserves a remnant for Himself just like He did in the days of Elijah. and if the devil is raising up his prophets today, then surely God is still raising up His own mouthpieces to declare the Word of the Lord even in our generation.

Love,
~jazzy

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes - I had my own company which was a little mini mall which I took around to the nursing homes and let the residents shop - I covered the 5 state area around Texas - enjoyed the travel and independence it gave me.

My husband retired and moved to our home at the coast and I remained 400 miles away and visited on the weekends - he was not in agreement with me on having this company and tension was buiding.

I went to a church in one of the towns and the pastor said if you need prayer come up after the service - I went up and had this guy pray for me - he took my hand and said nothing for awhile - I said God you don't even have a word for me - then the man started saying - agreement, agreement, agreement, agreement - I said OK God I get the message - he said you and your husband must be in agreement. WOW - talk about hitting me between the eyes - I never saw this man before and no one knew what was on my mind.

I went home that weekend and ask my husband what he wanted me to do - he said sell the company - ouch - that hurt - I loved it - but it was giving me too much independence and my husband and I were growing apart - so I sold it and retired to the coast with my husband. Our relationship became better - but I still truly miss my little company even 8 years later. But I had to obey

Upvote 0

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I've had stuff from people from God that has hurt...but along with that God has also given hope, or the way forward.
Always take everything to God, whether what is said seems right or wrong.
I remember once I had been talking to someone about some problems I had, and later she came back with me with some Scripture she said God had given her. Trouble is, they left me feeling really worried and unsure what to do. So I went back to the person and said, well this doesn't seem quite right, and she said, well, actually, God also gave me these other scriptures. These additional scriptures gave me hope and an idea of what I should do.
Althoughn the person had ended up giving me the additional scriptures, the incident left me feeling somewhat annoyed and upset, especially as I was feeling somewhat fragile. If only she had given me ALL the information at once, it would have been a lot easier to deal with.

Upvote 0

jazzypooh

A Jewel In His Sight
Jul 5, 2007
Illinois
✟17,408.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes - I had my own company which was a little mini mall which I took around to the nursing homes and let the residents shop - I covered the 5 state area around Texas - enjoyed the travel and independence it gave me.

My husband retired and moved to our home at the coast and I remained 400 miles away and visited on the weekends - he was not in agreement with me on having this company and tension was buiding.

I went to a church in one of the towns and the pastor said if you need prayer come up after the service - I went up and had this guy pray for me - he took my hand and said nothing for awhile - I said God you don't even have a word for me - then the man started saying - agreement, agreement, agreement, agreement - I said OK God I get the message - he said you and your husband must be in agreement. WOW - talk about hitting me between the eyes - I never saw this man before and no one knew what was on my mind.

I went home that weekend and ask my husband what he wanted me to do - he said sell the company - ouch - that hurt - I loved it - but it was giving me too much independence and my husband and I were growing apart - so I sold it and retired to the coast with my husband. Our relationship became better - but I still truly miss my little company even 8 years later. But I had to obey

that's a blessing. in the end, your marriage is worth far more than any business u could have

Love,
~jazzy

Upvote 0

jazzypooh

A Jewel In His Sight
Jul 5, 2007
Illinois
✟17,408.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I've had stuff from people from God that has hurt...but along with that God has also given hope, or the way forward.

that how u know whether or not it's from God. God will NEVER leave us hopeless. when He corrects us, He will always show us the right way from there. He always provides that way of escape

Always take everything to God, whether what is said seems right or wrong.

:amen:

I remember once I had been talking to someone about some problems I had, and later she came back with me with some Scripture she said God had given her. Trouble is, they left me feeling really worried and unsure what to do. So I went back to the person and said, well this doesn't seem quite right, and she said, well, actually, God also gave me these other scriptures. These additional scriptures gave me hope and an idea of what I should do.
Althoughn the person had ended up giving me the additional scriptures, the incident left me feeling somewhat annoyed and upset, especially as I was feeling somewhat fragile. If only she had given me ALL the information at once, it would have been a lot easier to deal with.

sometimes people may take their time with that because they wanna be sure they heard from God. that's extremely important esp. when you're ministering to someone who's hurting like u were at that time. i'm sure she had good intentions, she probably just wanted to be absolutely sure that that's what God was showing her. there's nothing wrong with doing that. u know how they say it's better to be safe than sorry? it's better that she take time to be sure that's what God told her to give to you than to lunge out in her flesh and give u the 1st thing that comes to her. i think she was just being careful. but at the same time God says His Word will never return back to Him void, but it'll accomplish His purpose wherever He sends it to. so even though u didn't get the entire message at once, God's purpose was still done in your life.

Love,
~jazzy

Upvote 0

NaLuvena

Nov 18, 2008
Apia, Samoa
✟10,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The pain is always worth it.

Proverbs 3

11 My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline
and do not resent his rebuke, 12 because the LORD disciplines those he loves,
as a father the son he delights in.

It's a sign of our Father's love for us, that He disciplines us. Once the discipline is done, and we have learnt the required lessons, we end up better people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bithiah2

Jah is my strength and song!
Jun 12, 2006
metro
✟18,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i have never recieved a true Word from God that hurt. i have had someone try to embarrass me in front of a lot of people.
i believe that a true prophetic word comes to confirm what you already know in your own heart, or will be confirmed shortly by fact, and the written Word of God. as far as hurt, i don't personally believe that. and i run from a lot of these prophets and prophetesses. there are real ones, and i have met them. but there are also a lot of wanna-be's out there saying "Yea saith God" and wanting to lay hands. no thank you. :o

i do know that somebody can preach,:preach: and the Word corrects and convicts me, and i might get mad when i hear it, but i know that God is right and all i can do is repent and say "yes Lord".

Upvote 0

blmiles

Nov 22, 2006
✟7,662.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I've never really gotten a word from God that hurt....especially not from other people. If He uses someone else to deliver a message to me, then it's always been good. I do, however, think that God can give us a word (through prayer or Bible reading or someone else even) that we don't want to hear...whether it's guidance and telling us something to do we don't want to do or whether its correction. I'll use the same example here as I always use. God told Jonah to go to Nineveh. Jonah didn't want to go to Nineveh. (Of course, we all know that after spending 3 days in the belly of a fish, Jonah decided that whatever God wanted was good enough for Him!)

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: God doesn't want to hurt us. He treads lightly on our feelings. In my experience, even if I'm asking for guidance and what to do in a particular situation, if He knows that the answer is going to hurt me, He won't answer right away. He'll wait. Wait til a time that He knows I'm willing to accept whatever answer He gives me.

I sure hope this post makes sense and wasn't just totally random! :)

Reactions: jazzypooh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jazzypooh

A Jewel In His Sight
Jul 5, 2007
Illinois
✟17,408.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A true word from the Lord should not hurt nor offend...if it does then it's simply not of the Lord.

it's not that God is hurting or offending us. it's the PRIDE in our flesh that we hold on to (and haven't dealt with) that causes the offense, not the Word itself. that's why God hates a proud look (Prov. 6:16-17). it's an abomination to Him. therefore, He resists the proud.

let's all be real here. rebuke and correction does not feel good to us. no sense in denying that. when your parents disciplined you, did you laugh and consider it pleasure? of couse not. but when you got older and more MATURE, then you understood why they disciplined you. so likewise, when God corrects us it's not a pleasure and sometimes it may hurt. but we have to realize He corrects us out of love to keep us from going down that broad way and bring us into maturity.

For the Lord corrects and disciplines everyone whom He loves, and He punishes, even scourges, every son whom He accepts and welcomes to His heart and cherishes. (Heb. 12:6)

now that's what Scripture says. i am very leary of people who post their opinions with no Scripture to support it. are we going by our emotions or feelings? or are we going by what the Word of God says about this?

Love,
~jazzy

Upvote 0
C

Cassidy

But you dont' have scripture to support that God hurts us...you say discipline etc. Well I've been disciplined and corrected by God (NOT MAN) and he has never felt the need to hurt me ...rather the feeling I have received is conviction....shame, guilt, pain, offense...comes from myself...not God. God uses the truth ,which is Jesus, who gently guides us etc on the path in which we should go. Jesus has never ever needed to hurt his sheep.

Upvote 0
A

arizonasunset

Me and my sister-in-law were discussing this last month. She was talking to me about a prophetic word she had got recently at church, but she was upset with it. The prophetess was talking to her about some things that were going on in her life, and then when she revealed the source and told her why those things were the way they were my sister-in-law didn't like it very much. She became angry and offended. I have been guilty of this before as well and had to repent - becoming offended at the truth. That's nothing but our flesh raging up to protect itself from being crucified. But we have to bring it into subjection before it brings us into subjection.

The spirit of offense is very strong, and can be a huge hindrance to your spiritual growth because it is rooted in pride - a characteristic of satan. It takes a humble and mature saint to be able to receive rebuke and correction. Being offended by the truth doesn't change the fact that it's still truth. We have to remember that all the time God is not giving us well-wishes and good tidings. Sometimes He has to correct us, tell us where we're messing up at, and put a charge on us. That's what a good, loving Father does. And that doesn't always feel good. It hurts when God comes against our flesh, but the Bible teaches us that He chastens those He loves and that we shouldn't despise His chastening:

Love,
~jazzy

If I had not heard something I didn't like from a prophetic word or a Word given by the Holy Spirit, I would not have grown in the glory and likeness of my Lord and Savior.

Don't misunderstand, I have much more growing and learning to go.

I never liked it... the revelation of it. Often I refer to my children when they were toddlers.

The reason I refer back to this period of time is because the Lord revealed to me what I look like when given a direct, specific understanding of what I look like and what I need to repent of.

Watch a toddler when he/she doesn't get his way. This means check your motives.

How does a toddler react when somethings taken away? Check your attitude.

What happens if a toddler has no boundaries? Are you in compliance and obedience even if you don't like it.

Just some of the things I've learned.

No one likes it, but they should accept, embrace, and turn from whatever is being presented.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.