• Yes and loved it!

• No, but I want to.

• No, but I don't want to.

• I really don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.

sunshinejennii

Pierced, Purple, Hippy, Happy, Laughing Lass
Mar 20, 2004
Uni=Birmingham, England and Home=Leicester (Oadby)
✟5,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes, my team is performing in a few weeks at the Baptist World Congress. We're dancing to 'Light of the World', 'All Star (from Shrek)', 'The Way' by Daniel Bedingfield and 'Supernatural' by DCTalk. I'm hoping to post the scores on here, I just need the teams permission.

Upvote 0

Multi-Elis

Senior Veteran
Jul 6, 2003
Paris
Visit site
✟17,911.00
Faith
Christian
I am working my way to be a professional choreographer. Well to put things into perspective, I've only started-- I have years to go of first learning to dance at a professional level, then years as an assistant, and in the mean time I'm just doing whatever I can to prepare myself.

Upvote 0

CJF

...love alters not...
Feb 26, 2002
United States of America
Visit site
✟15,250.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That's awesome! Here's me testimony on dancing/choreography:
I've been going to the church I go to now for about a year. I attended the youth services for a few months, and then my family and I started attending Sunday Mornings as well. I joined the teenage dance team a few weeks later. I had never, ever, had any actual dance experience before that, so I was sacred to death. Surprisingly, I caught quicker than I thought. I was, by no means, as good as I would have liked, but hey, I had just started.
One night, maybe four and half to five months later, I was in my room listening to the remix of TobyMac and Kirk Franklin's song "J Train" and I thought it was an awesome song to do a dance to. Of course, being new to dancing I had never choreographed or had any experience choreographing a dance, so I knew I couldn't do it. But as I listend to the song I was like, "Man, this song is awesome! Someone really needs to do a dance to it."
So I stood in the middle of my room for like ten minutes, just listening to the song and trying to figure out someting to do. It was miracle that I cam up with my fist eight count. After I realized that I had actually come up with an eight count, it was like I was slingshotted into choreography because I finished teh dance, formations and all, within twenty-four hours.
Two weeks later the children's Pastor comes to me and says, "Hey, we need someone to lead the kid's dance team. Would you do it?"
I was like, "Yeess!!"
And then he says, "I was thinking that a great song for the team to do a dance to would be 'J Train' y TobyMac and Kirk Franlin."
I laughed and told him that I already had a dance done to that song. Ever since then, all kinds of dances have come out my head. I've done Hip-Hop and Lyrical dances, so far, and I'm even working on a rythm dance with claping and stomping etc. :)

Upvote 0

Multi-Elis

Senior Veteran
Jul 6, 2003
Paris
Visit site
✟17,911.00
Faith
Christian
Darrions, your testamony is very encouraging.
My first choreography was with a girl who had done very little dance but had an iron strong memory for coordination. Never the less, a big part of the dance we made was done by me watching her dance, showing her what she did, helping her to do it better, putting it together on the counts, and then ... she'd have to teach it to me because my coordination memory was so bad! It took us 6 months of work, meeting up in different places in order to get it done.
It was choreographed for 6 people and we were only 2 to do it in front of the church on a gala night. They made us dance on the stage when we were expecting to dance below the stage. We got so stressed out, that I compeletely forgot the first verse, and exagerated my emotional interpretation, my friend didn't make a single mistake but she danced it as cold as a rock. Each of us really gave way to our weakness and held on for dear life on our stregnths. You can read more about the process here http://www.choreograph.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=397

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CJF

...love alters not...
Feb 26, 2002
United States of America
Visit site
✟15,250.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Multi-Elis, I've never heard of choreography in that way before. That's really neat! I've only, ever, choreographed with someone else with me once. It's not that I don't like working with people, it's just that when I hear a song, I have my own idea for it and it's hard to choreograph with someone else. Also, I usually get insecure about my dancing with someone else with me. :o

Upvote 0

Multi-Elis

Senior Veteran
Jul 6, 2003
Paris
Visit site
✟17,911.00
Faith
Christian
I have my own idea for it and it's hard to choreograph with someone else. Also, I usually get insecure about my dancing with someone else with me. :o
Yes, it can be very hard to choreograph with other people -- in the case I described, I was the one who gave the general form, which was inspired, as you are, by the music. But there were changes that we made to my original plan, and certain rythmic ideas that didn't really work out.
Any way, if you check out the link I gave to that choreographing forum, you will see all the problems I had with working with others, one example was a horrably bitter case!!
But when you start to feel more like it, and when you are willing to dare, I do encourage you to try working with other people in this way: be in complete confidence in each other's talent. Don't decide on "who's idea you are going to take" untill that idea has completely been detached from your identity. Have the attitude that something different and with a mind of it's own is going to take off, and you and the other person are going to follow it. It won't be a mix of you and the other person (the choreography I described earlier was a mix of the two of us) rather something different than both of you. This is a good exercise because it teaches trust in other people, helps overcome the ego, and brodens your style.
Any way, it's just an idea and a way to work that might be worth developing some time.

Upvote 0

sunshinejennii

Pierced, Purple, Hippy, Happy, Laughing Lass
Mar 20, 2004
Uni=Birmingham, England and Home=Leicester (Oadby)
✟5,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've heard of choreography like that but didn't realise it was so time-consuming. I guess it depends how long the piece is, and for what occasion. I've been dancing at the Baptist World Congress and one dance took us an afternoon to choreograph.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kiwi

Feb 21, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟963.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did alot of dance choreography in my younger days, when I was in Youth With a Mission. I went on three month trip of south america with a dance and drama team, it was hard work but good. Also I did dances for street outreaches. I still hear often hear a songs and immediatly think, 'that would make an awesome dance', but now I am a mommy with two little kids and don't get to do those things anymore (plus the body is not so lithe anymore!!).

Upvote 0