Have Christians today misunderstood the atonement?

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,660.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For one thing, Jesus paid His blood, and I am sure His blood has not been given or paid to Satan!!

I think you are misunderstanding a bit
the "ransom theology". I think it says that Jesus gave his life for us to be saved. He suffered the punishment for sin in his own body, not for Satan but for us. He willingly gave himself under the power and cruelty of Sin and Satan, so he was struck with the punishment we all deserve. The difference as I understand it is that he didn't die to still an angry Father, but to get back the rule Satan had over us. I.o.w. he changed place with us, took on him what is the natural consequence of sin. He let Satan have his way with him, for us. There is no bigger love than this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The difference as I understand it is that he didn't die to still an angry Father, but to get back the rule Satan had over us.
I remember how John the Baptist said the wrath of God abides on an unbeliever. So, I can see that Jesus was turning away God's wrath. And Paul says " we shall be saved from wrath through Him." > Romans 5:9 < and Paul says His blood is involved in this.

But also He was taking us away from the rule of Satan. I consider Hebrews 2:14-15 with Acts 26:18.

I.o.w. he changed place with us, took on him what is the natural consequence of sin.
One thing I understand is that we could not die right for our sins. Jesus died right. So, His death is enough to sweetly please our Father and satisfy Him to reconcile with us. I consider Ephesians 5:2 with Proverbs 15:1.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Christ delivers us from God's wrath, because we believe in Christ.
If you do not believe in Christ, then God's wrath you shall experience.
There is a coming day of vengeance against sinners.
Being in Christ is like being in the ark when the flood came and killed all the others.
We who believe are preserved in Christ.

1 Thessalonians 1:9-10 New King James Version (NKJV)
9 For they themselves declare concerning us what manner of entry we had to you, and how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, 10 and to wait for His Son from heaven, whom He raised from the dead, even Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come.

Salvation in Christ is great salvation.
There is a certainty of wrath coming to this world, a certain doom of destruction is planned by God, unbelievers will suffer a vengeance from God of eternal fire.

2 Thessalonians 1
6 since it is a righteous thing with God to repay with tribulation those who trouble you,

7 and to give you who are troubled rest with us when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels,

8 in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.

9 These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,

10 when He comes, in that Day, to be glorified in His saints and to be admired among all those who believe, because our testimony among you was believed.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I remember how John the Baptist said the wrath of God abides on an unbeliever.

Where does he say that?
"'He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.'" (John 3:36)

Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sin separated.
Blood sacrifice (atonement) reconciled.
It was not a ransom paid to anyone.

Sin separated.
Blood sacrifice REDEEMED from the bondage of sin
A price was paid for release and freedom.

Ephesians 1:7 [Full Chapter]
In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace.

Hebrews 9:12
and not through the blood of goats and calves, but through His own blood, He entered the holy place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Where does he say that?
John 3 last part of the chapter is John the baptist speaking. He also said this about what happens to the wicked versus the righteous. Wicked burn in hell fire, righteous are at home with the Lord.

Matthew 3:11-13 New King James Version (NKJV)
11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. 12 His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”

35 The Father loves the Son, and has given all things into His hand. 36 He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

Upvote 0

Lucian Hodoboc

I've already read the Bible
Jul 8, 2017
-
Visit site
✟89,082.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
When a child is kidnapped to whom do you pay the ransom, to the parents? No, to the kidnappers!
Wrong. Kidnapping is an illegal activity and when it happens you try to restore order through legal means, not by giving in to the kidnapper's demand. While we, with our limited abilities, sometimes may fail to bring the wrongdoers to justice and bring back the kidnapped person without paying the ransom, that is not the case for God. he is omnipotent and an omnipotent being Who loves justice wouldn't have complied with a kidnapper by paying ransom. He would have punished the kidnapper and taken away the kidnapped persons by force.

In my opinion, that theory of atonement makes very little sense in the context of an omnipotent and just God.

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,660.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wrong. Kidnapping is an illegal activity and when it happens you try to restore order through legal means, not by giving in to the kidnapper's demand. While we, with our limited abilities, sometimes may fail to bring the wrongdoers to justice and bring back the kidnapped person without paying the ransom, that is not the case for God. he is omnipotent and an omnipotent being Who loves justice wouldn't have complied with a kidnapper by paying ransom. He would have punished the kidnapper and taken away the kidnapped persons by force.

In my opinion, that theory of atonement makes very little sense in the context of an omnipotent and just God.

To me the ransom theory shows us a very loving God. Actually I cried when thinking about it. God not sending Christ to still his own wrath, but to give himself under the cruelty of evil to set us free. With that said I don't know if that theory is right, but it's very appealing to me.

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What would you say in the bible indicate that the ransom was paid to Satan, and what indictate that ransom was paid to God?
You really need to read my post 9.

It would be totally disrespectful to suggest God was a criminal kidnapper of his own children.

To suggest God needs some "help" to forgive people makes Him out to be weak and lacking in Love.

It makes it also sound like God is not in charge and some cosmic "rule" is forcing Him to pay Himself.

What personal value would God receive from what He would not want to happen with the torture, humiliation and murder of Christ?

It all sounds so foolish.

BUT to say the ransom was paid the satan is just as degrading to God:

Does God not have the power to safely take anything satan has?

Is God somehow obligated to do something He does not personally want to do?

Since God does have the power and Love it would actually be wrong for Him to pay the enemy anything.

There is a third party in the situation who is rebellious disobedient arrogant criminal (like a prodigal son) and has kidnapped a child of God holding the child away from the Father and is totally unworthy of any ransom payment especially not a huge sacrificial ransom payment.

Think about this, did the rebellious disobedient criminal (prodigal son) who virtually told his father: "I wish you were dead so I could have my inheritance" return to the father or was in a new person/new child/different person; a humble repentant sincere child of the who went to the father. Only sincere humble repentant children can go into the Kingdom (home of the father)?

Who was holding that wonderful child of the father back for as long as he was in the pigsty starving to death, because that describes a kidnapper?

The resurrection brings victory over satan, while the cruel death is paying a ransom.

You can also do a word study of the word "for", because the ransom is "for" you. It is not "for" satan to have but it is offered to you like a gift being "for" you.

Looking at verses in particular:

(NIV) Ro. 3:25 God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood—to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished—

“God presented” this might be better expressed as “God is offering” since it will later be received, received or rejected on the contingency of some kind of “faith”. Instead of received it might better be translated as accepted (with the option of being rejected or not accepted).

“Sacrifice of atonement” is described by Jesus, Paul, Peter, John and the Hebrew writer as the “ransom payment” or just “ransom”. So God is offering a ransom payment to be accepted by those with faith or rejected by those refusing or just not accepted by those lacking faith.

A huge part of that ransom payment that especially applies to those that are already Christians is the life giving cleansing blood of Christ. Christ and God would have personally preferred that blood remained in Christ’s veins, but I needed it given up by Christ to flow over both my outside and my heart to know, experience, “trust” and feel I am cleansed and made alive. So Christ willingly gave up His blood for me and because of me. This is an overwhelming tragedy I insisted on to believe: I was made holy, righteous and stand justified. Without knowing and feeling this blood flowing over my heart, I might question my cleansing?

“Demonstrate his righteousness” God did not become righteous, but just showed the righteousness He has always had. (God’s justice/ holiness/being right) comes with the atoning sacrifice that includes the life giving cleansing blood showing God’s righteousness/justice in a very particular way; by resolving the huge problem that existed under the Old Covenant. That huge problem in the Old Covenant was with the handling of intentional sins that where committed, repented of, and which the individual sought forgiveness from God for doing (and God forgave without justly disciplining the sinner [thus not showing His righteousness through His disciplining]). These sins could be forgiven by God, but there was no way to fairly/justly discipline (punish) the sinner and still have the sinner live in the Promised Land. God did have fair/just punishments (discipline) for these sins, but the Jews could not follow through with them, since all Jews deserved to be treated similarly (there would be no one left in the Promised Land).

“in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished” Instead of “unpunished” I would translate that Greek word to be “undisciplined”.

“because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished”, shows the contrast between before and after the cross. This is not saying: “before the cross sins are now being punished by Christ going to the cross”, but is saying they were left unpunished prior to the cross. If they are being handled the “same way” as sins after the cross there would be no contrast? (And there are lots of other problems with this reasoning.) There is no “punishment” (disciplining for intentional sins) before the cross yet there is “punishment” (disciplining of God’s children) with the cross.

Any good parent realizes the need for not just forgiving their rebellious disobedient child, but to also see to the child’s fair/just/loving discipline if at all possible, but under the Old Covenant there was no “fair/just/loving discipline” so God could not show His justice/righteousness except to point out in the Law what really should happen, but that is not “good” disciplining, the child can almost feel they got away with something.

By my coming to the realization of my forcing Christ to be tortured, humiliated and murdered, because of my personal sins I experience a death blow to my heart (Acts 2: 37) the worst possible experience I can have and still live (That is also the most sever disciplining I can experience and still live). Thus I know God is my loving concerned Parent (since He at great cost has seen to my disciplining). I know how significant my sins really are; I can put those sins behind me after being disciplined. Since God and Jesus shared in my disciplining “I am crucified with Christ” (a teaching moment) our relationship is even greater than before my transgressing.

What is the benefit/value for us that we would want to accept the ransom payment of Christ’s torture, humiliation and murder?

What value benefit did it have for those 3000 on the day of Pentecost?

Would those 3000 have become baptized believers on the day of Pentecost if Peter had not been able to say: Acts 2:36 “…this Jesus whom you crucified”?

So for those 3000, their crucifying Christ (ransom payment/atoning sacrifice) resulted in them becoming baptized believers on the day of Pentecost! Did it have value for them?

This will get us started if you really want to know.

///

If God knows the future then we are not free to do anything other than that which He knows we will do.

The heretical Pelagian copout, "well He did not CAUSE it," fails to rescue the doctrine of free will. Free will implies the ability to do something different. But as long as God knows with certainty what we will do then we can't do anything different. No free will then.

Their only hope is open theism, a god who doesn't know the future. Or a molinist blasphemy that claims men existed before God existed.

It is not future time for God, since God is outside of time, but it is man’s future and God in communicating with man can talk about the future, so:

God knows our future, because it is history for Him (God in the distant future of man is the same God at the beginning of time), so God know all man’s free will choices as history (what man did). History cannot be changed, since it happened for God (the God of our future which is the same God of the past).

What free will choices we make in our future where already made by us, but that does not mean we are making them again or we did not make them of our own free will. Our future choices are “set” but they have been set by us and not by God’s knowledge. They are the decisions we made.

You seem to be sold on the “Ransom Theory of Atonement” which has early roots going back to the third century, but that was a time of many kidnappings and ransoms being paid almost as away of life.

Christ, Paul, John, Peter and The Hebrew writer all say Christ’s torture, humiliation and murder was a ransom payment, so it was a ransom, but who is the kidnapper being paid? God does not seem likely, so what about satan?

Tell me this if our all-powerful God could just as easily and safely take His children back without paying would it than be wrong to pay the kidnapper satan?

Does God owe satan anything?

Does this make satan almost on an equal plan with God? (Some do think there is this “war” going on in heaven which God will eventually win.)

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Read my post 9 and the last one I just did.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In the parable, to whom did the servant owe a debt that he could not pay? And who forgave that servant's debt?
There is no devil involved there, the idea is a master/Lord, and a servant/slave relationship.

Matthew 18
21 Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”

22 Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven. 23 Therefore the kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. 24 And when he had begun to settle accounts, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents. 25 But as he was not able to pay, his master commanded that he be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and that payment be made. 26 The servant therefore fell down before him, saying, ‘Master, have patience with me, and I will pay you all.’ 27 Then the master of that servant was moved with compassion, released him, and forgave him the debt.

28 “But that servant went out and found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii; and he laid hands on him and took him by the throat, saying, ‘Pay me what you owe!’ 29 So his fellow servant fell down at his feet and begged him, saying, ‘Have patience with me, and I will pay you all.’ 30 And he would not, but went and threw him into prison till he should pay the debt. 31 So when his fellow servants saw what had been done, they were very grieved, and came and told their master all that had been done. 32 Then his master, after he had called him, said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you begged me. 33 Should you not also have had compassion on your fellow servant, just as I had pity on you?’ 34 And his master was angry, and delivered him to the torturers until he should pay all that was due to him.

35 “So My heavenly Father also will do to you if each of you, from his heart, does not forgive his brother his trespasses.”
Great from this parable we also see no ransom payment is made for the Master to forgive the debt. The debt has to be forgiven and not paid by someone else, if it were paid by someone else it would not need to be forgiven.

Upvote 0

Lucian Hodoboc

I've already read the Bible
Jul 8, 2017
-
Visit site
✟89,082.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Read my post 9 and the last one I just did.
So, God paid the ransom to humans? It makes just as little sense. Any ransom theory has two options: either, according to God's objective morality, kidnapping is not an unjust activity (like we humans consider it), or, if kidnapping is against God's laws, then God is engaging in humoring a being who has broken His laws (instead of using His omnipotence to stop said being).

Reactions: Dreger
Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,660.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Christ Crucified is described by Paul, Peter, Jesus, John and e “Ransom Theory of Atonement” has God paying satan the cruel torture, humiliation and murder of Christ but: Does God owe Satan anything? Is there some cosmic “law” saying you have to pay the kidnapper? Would it not be wrong for God to pay satan, if God could just as easily and safely take back His children without paying satan or is that more than God can do?)

I think there is "law" that sins have the consequence of death. I think that the creation is under that law, that this was the only way God could create the world, according to his character.

I have to think and read more about this before I know fully where I stand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So, God paid the ransom to humans? It makes just as little sense. Any ransom theory has two options: either, according to God's objective morality, kidnapping is not an unjust activity (like we humans consider it), or, if kidnapping is against God's laws, then God is engaging in humoring a being who has broken His laws (instead of using His omnipotence to stop said being).
What would the father in the prodigal son story "do" to have this younger son, become like himself? He has taken an unbelievable insult from this young man, given this son money he knows will be wasted, and he has not gone after the son in hopes he will change (if he sends servants after this son he will come back even more belligerent), and the father than waits in hopes of the son’s repentance. The father like God is not going to force us into humbly correctly accepting his pure charity (Love) but will do everything He can to persuade us.

God is allowing this unbelievable huge act of Love in allowing His only son to be tortured, humiliated and murdered, but to say it is to help satan or Himself to accomplish some task, takes the benefit away from humans, while humans seem to be the reason.

If this huge ransom payment is made “for sinful man” then why not “to sinful man”, if it would help sinful man to repent? (That is also what “for” means it is given “to” you).

When the Kingdom does come on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2) what would Christ do to help humble 3000 enough to repent, accept forgiveness (pure charity), and take on the indwelling portion of the Holy Spirit? This is not going to be easy for these 3000, because the Messiah is dead, they have an excellent God given religious belief and do not listen to strange teachers and strange teaching.

Do they not have to fearfully ask “What must we do?” to accept the baptism answer at this time (Acts 2:38?

But for them to ask that question do they first have to experience a death blow to their heart (Acts 2:37)?

How will they experience that death blow without first feeling they just tortured, humiliated and murdered the Messiah?

Yet how can they know they crucified the Messiah unless Peter tells them “You crucified the Messiah”?

And how can Peter say: “you crucified the Messiah”, if Christ does not go to the cross?

Is Christ’s Love for those who crucified him, great enough for Him to allow wicked men to crucify him, so they could feel a death blow to their heart to be humble enough to accept salvation?

It works for us today also.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think there is "law" that sins have the consequence of death. I think that the creation is under that law, that this was the only way God could create the world, according to his character.

I have to think and read more about this before I know fully where I stand.
You might read my post 38.
I am saying "sin" produces death, the father in the prodigal son story says the "son was dead" even after knowing he was not physically dead, The father did not say "we thought he was dead", but he was dead.
There is no Cosmic rule God did not think out perfectly before creating so it is God's law. God would not have to "pay" anyone and He does not owe anyone. God cannot be a kidnapper (criminal), but we certainly can be.

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,660.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God is allowing this unbelievable huge act of Love in allowing His only son to be tortured, humiliated and murdered, but to say it is to help satan to accomplish some task, takes the benefit away from humans, while humans seem to be the reason.

I think we all agree on that God tricked (wouldn't say "helped") satan. He thought he won the game, but Jesus arose, which he hadn't expected. If the ransom theory is true, I don't believe that satan really knew what was going on. I'm not even sure satan knew Jesus was a ransom.

Upvote 0