Hate Crimes Bill Passes U.S. House of Reps.

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟827,216.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Attaching controversial bills onto 'must pass' bills is like a form of legalized political blackmail. It should not be allowed to happen.
The amendment passed with by a 281-146 vote. No controversy there.

Upvote 0

claddagh4jesus

Graphics Junkie
Nov 11, 2009
Texas
✟15,129.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn't be so worried about the government jumping on my tail, I'd be way more worried about the idiots who take it as, hey, you diss my beliefs by promoting yours, I sue you. Or have you arrested. THAT is definitely something to worry about. And then of course there are those supreme court judges who rule in favor of the party who broke the constitutional law. Just saying.

It's NOT a good Bill. :)

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟827,216.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Just because our congress is filled with liberal idiots who want their own way doesn't mean it's not controversial. DUH
The only reason that there is controversy is because of the, what was the word that you used, oh yeah, "idiots" who give interpretations of the Bill without knowing what the Bill is about.

If you have a problem with the Bill, tell us why and show where it appears in the context.

Upvote 0

Subdood

Jul 14, 2008
Cloud 8.95
✟44,468.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is transparent about a 281-146 vote in favor of the Bill. What is obvious is that a very clear majority favored it.

The amendment passed with by a 281-146 vote. No controversy there.
I believe the actual count was 220 - 215, for the latest bill anyway - and hardly a "clear majority" for something that is so hotly contested, when just 3 votes of the total 435 would have swung the "majority" the other way.

Reactions: DerSchweik
Upvote 0

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Attaching controversial bills onto 'must pass' bills is like a form of legalized political blackmail. It should not be allowed to happen.

I agree. the Hyde amendment is an abomination. And it gets attached to the appropriations bill every year.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟827,216.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I believe the actual count was 220 - 215, for the latest bill anyway - and hardly a "clear majority" for something that is so hotly contested, when just 3 votes of the total 435 would have swung the "majority" the other way.

House Passes Hate Crimes Bill
The original bill, H.R. 1913, passed the House on April 29th of this year, mostly along partisan lines. The Senate attached its version of the Hate Crimes Bill to the Defense Authorization Act of 2010 (H.R. 2467), and after the bill passed the Senate, the language was maintained by the House/Senate Conference Committee. Today, the Defense Authorization Act conference report passed on a vote that broke largely on partisan lines, 281 to 146.

The original Hate Crimes Bill passed the House 234-190.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

b.hopeful

Sharp as a razor, soft as a prayer
Jul 17, 2009
St.Louis metropolitan area
✟18,662.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Verbal abuse can cross the line into harassment....I'll give you that. But we may differ on what constitutes abuse. Merely offending someone with your opinion is not abuse. Following you from work to your job to church and back again screaming hateful messages certainly sounds a lot like harassment though.

We KNOW we have a constitutional right to free speech here(thank God) and we need to realize we DO NOT have a constitutional right to not be offended.

Upvote 0
A

ace8842

Verbal abuse over sexual orientation is and should be a crime. 'Spewing hate' is criminal. Only a bigot would lament over not having the right to abuse someone verbally or physically.

Hate crimes laws are unconstitutional. They violate "equal protection under the law" in our founding documents. Furthermore, in Europe and Canada these have led to hate speech laws, a violation of freedom of speech. Hate crimes laws also undermine local law enforcement by federalizing what should be state crimes and not allowing them to report a crime as a crime...having to somehow discern intent, which can be impossible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums