Dec 4, 2016
Earth
✟55,404.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Myrrh

Myrrh is a resin that is used widely in the bible. Myrrh contains the terpenes furanoeudesma-1,3-diene and curzarene which are Mu-opioid agonists. This means that inhaling or absorbing myrrh incense can cause a drug reaction similar to painkillers like morphine.

Holy Incense

Exodus 30:34 - And the Lord said unto Moses, “Take unto thee sweet spices: stacte and onycha and galbanum; these sweet spices with pure frankincense, of each shall there be a like weight. 37 And as for the perfume which thou shalt make, ye shall not make it for yourselves according to the composition thereof; it shall be unto thee holy for the Lord.

Galbanum contains 3-pinene which is a gaba agonist. Inhalation would cause anti-anxiety effects which would cause similar effects as Xanax or alcohol.

Frankincense is an incense that contains a chemical called incensole acetate. It causes a decrease in anxiety and has synergism with Galbanum. It is a gaba agonist with similar effects as alcohol or xanax.

This incense would be a relaxant and would lower anxiety. The large plums of smoke would make it easy to be affected by its composition. The bible said for the Holy incense to never stop burning making it seem that they used large amounts of materials. This would make people always around it adhere to their duties due to the feedback the Holy Incense causes.

=====

Song of Songs 4:13-15 - Your plants are an orchard of pomegranates with choice fruits, with henna and nard, nard and saffron, calamus and cinnamon, with every kind of incense tree, with myrrh and aloes and all the finest spices.You are a garden fountain, a well of flowing water streaming down from Lebanon.

Spikenard, also called nard, is an anxiolytic and nootropic. Jesus was anointed with a big jar of spikenard. Spikenard increases gaba as well as serotonin in the brain. Spikenard is thus synergistic with many other sedatives in the bible and would cause anti-depressant and relaxant effects.

Saffron is a spice derived from the crocus flower. It is the most expensive spice by weight. Its effects on the human body come at low doses. It is shown to be an anti-depressant in humans. This is caused by saffron's effect on the gaba receptors. These effects would be similar to taking an anti-anxiety drug such as Xanax which is similar to alcohol.

=====

Ecclesiastes 9:7 - Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for God has already approved what you do

Wine contains alcohol which is currently the most commonly used intoxicant. Some biblical quotes claim drinking to be unholy while others suggest that it isn't wrong unless it changes who you are.

=====

Zechariah 1:10 - And the man that stood among the myrtle trees answered and said, “These are they whom the Lord hath sent to walk to and fro throughout the earth.

Myrtus communis contains anxiolytic effects. In one study, the effects of the essential oil were stronger than the actual anxiolytic drug it was compared to.

=====

1 Kings 19:5 - And as he lay and slept under a juniper tree, behold, then an angel touched him, and said unto him, "Arise and eat."

Juniper fruit contains 530-9200 ppm alpha pinene which is a sedative. The fruit also contains limonene and myrcene which also act as sedatives.

=====

Lamentations 3:15 - He hath filled me with bitterness, he hath made me drunken with wormwood.

Wormwood is a plant that contains thujone. One of the main components of the drink absinthe. Effects of eating are hallucinations and seizures. Too much can cause death.

=====

Genesis 30:15 - But she said to her, “Wasn’t it enough that you took away my husband? Will you take my son’s mandrakes too?” “Very well,” Rachel said, “he can sleep with you tonight in return for your son’s mandrakes.”

Mandrake is a plant that contains atropine, scopolamine, apoatropine, and hyoscyamine which cause hallucinations, delusions, and paranoia. If too much is ingested it can cause death. These compounds are responsible for the drug effects witches would endure. They would produce their "flying ointments" and rub on a soaked broom stick to hallucinate. In non-lethal doses it is an overwhelming deliriant.

=====

Edited from: Psychoactive Plants in the Bible

• Informative
Reactions: archer75

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,808.44
Faith
Messianic
Intoxicating.

Ever read the list of ingredients for the altar of incense? There is many that are known hallucinates. So you have a priest before this altar inhaling, and being in an enclosure, I am sure it was concentrated smoke. If the priests praying before the incense altar perform this task something similar to the woman bringing in the Sabbath, it could have been for full effect. It was made of an equal part of four precious spices (stacte, onycha, galbanum and frankincense) and was considered holy. God commanded the Israelites not to use the same formula outside the tabernacle to make perfume for their own consumption; otherwise, they were to be cut off from their people (Exodus 30:34-38). ... but from what we understand... it is "much incense offer" in the heavenly courts.

“Another angel, who had a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense to offer, with the prayers of all the saints, on the golden altar before the throne. The smoke of the incense, together with the prayers of the saints, went up before God from the angel’s hand.” (Revelations 8:3-4)

Upvote 0

Na Nach Oi!

Embracing paradoxical thinking
Dec 4, 2016
Earth
✟55,404.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Intoxicating.

Ever read the list of ingredients for the altar of incense? There is many that are known hallucinates. So you have a priest before this altar inhaling, and being in an enclosure, I am sure it was concentrated smoke. If the priests praying before the incense altar perform this task something similar to the woman bringing in the Sabbath, it could have been for full effect. It was made of an equal part of four precious spices (stacte, onycha, galbanum and frankincense) and was considered holy. God commanded the Israelites not to use the same formula outside the tabernacle to make perfume for their own consumption; otherwise, they were to be cut off from their people (Exodus 30:34-38). ... but from what we understand... it is "much incense offer" in the heavenly courts.

“Another angel, who had a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense to offer, with the prayers of all the saints, on the golden altar before the throne. The smoke of the incense, together with the prayers of the saints, went up before God from the angel’s hand.” (Revelations 8:3-4)

It would be getting more exciting if we enter the halachic discussion.
"Is it forbidden to use marijuana for medical purposes (especially to relieve pains)? (Medical marijuana)"

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,808.44
Faith
Messianic
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think there is way more complicated information to be understood before trying to discuss the choices of spices the L-RD said to mix together to make an incense for his Holy Altar. I do not think we can compare the individual effects of each one on humans. You would also have to take into consideration the other materials in that small space.

I think that electrical energy, frequencies as well as these 'drugs' all played a part in the once a year meeting between the L-RD and the High Priest.

Upvote 0

angela4God

Child of God
Nov 13, 2014
USA
✟19,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As far as I understand, a human being, even a Kohan priest cannot be in the presence of Hashem without there being veils or buffers (so to say) in place. The human body just can't stand that intense 'energy' of God (in simplistic terms).

So maybe, just like God put in place veils and buffers, maybe these ingredients are part of that... help create that veil or some 'state of being' that allows contact (?).

And regarding medical marijuana. Didn't David have a book on herbs and healing? Isn't it taught in one of Israel's Universities? I'm sure marijuana would be in there. No?

But you wanted a halachic discussion, so I'll now bow out. :)

A Blessed New Year to you and yours!

Upvote 0