In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I'm very familiar with Dura-Europos (including the fascinating comparisons with the town synagogue etc). My point was, though, that being able to worship in the open, in more or less public buildings, did change things.

I'm not even saying that that change was bad, just noting that it happened, and it was a big change.
This is really merely accelarating already existent tendencies though. At Nicaea they already recognised jurisdictions beyond the see itself for Antioch, Rome and Alexandria. So structures were already in place somewhat, as it was clearly already a traditional arrangement. Further, we know that priests were rounded up in other persecutions and churches closed, and the fantastic growth of early Christianity implies very robust proselytising, so the Church was not as secretive as many believe - outside of active persecutory periods of course. It was surely a change, but I don't think it should be over-exaggerated. Roman persecutions were intermittent and often local, and the Church did organise and such otherwise. I mean, Justin Martyr could address his works directly to Antonius Pius! The church was likely already organised along secular divisions of dioceses, as Churches still today follow national and provincial borders.

• Agree
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,551.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Are the two of you really going to argue that if Christianity had remained illegal, it would have developed as it actually did in history, though?

I see a big historical shift stemming from the changes in the time of Constantine. I don't think acknowledging that shift ought to be particularly problematic for any of us. It's the value judgements then placed on that which might be more contested.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Are the two of you really going to argue that if Christianity had remained illegal, it would have developed as it actually did in history, though?

I see a big historical shift stemming from the changes in the time of Constantine. I don't think acknowledging that shift ought to be particularly problematic for any of us. It's the value judgements then placed on that which might be more contested.
For want of a horse and all that - except perhaps if the historical die wasn't loaded, by some Power, perhaps?

Who can say how it might have developed otherwise. That is an exercise in creative writing. However, the roots of its later developments were already in place, and not suddenly sprung into existence.

Upvote 0