✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
gee, idk about that one. It says, "the Protestant schism from the Church..."

Well, protestants didn't schism from the Church. They schismed or created themselves separately from the Catholic Church.

Maybe it's good--but maybe it's polemic. Really could go either way--but books that are out to PROVE someone else wrong instead of SHOWING how Orthodoxy is right don't often sit well with me.

Upvote 0

Eusebios

Create in me a clean heart O God!
Feb 17, 2004
Canton, OH.
Visit site
✟12,812.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It doesn't look like the kind of thing that I would like. I agree with Choirfiend, that it seems from the publisher's blurb to lean a bit toward the polemic. Might I suggest as an alternative , Matthew Gallatin's Thirsting for God in a Land of Shallow Wells and a fair and balanced criticism of much of the West's errors, J. Phillip Lee's (himself a Protestant) "Against the Protestant Gnostics"
In Xp,
Eusebios
:bow:

Upvote 0
K

KATHXOYMENOC

gee, idk about that one. It says, "the Protestant schism from the Church..."

Well, protestants didn't schism from the Church. They schismed or created themselves separately from the Catholic Church.

Maybe it's good--but maybe it's polemic. Really could go either way--but books that are out to PROVE someone else wrong instead of SHOWING how Orthodoxy is right don't often sit well with me.

When a Protestant asks questions about the teaching, life and practice of the Orthodox Church most Orthodox don't have a clue. The Protestant wants his answers 'backed up' by specific Bible verses. In WEST OF JESUS we Orthodox finally have a 'handbook' for answering Protestant questions. The author has given us a most compelling argument for Holy Tradition using the biblical texts as 'proofs.' Any Protestant looking at Orthodoxy should start his or her journey by reading this book. And any Orthodox who wants to understand Western Christianity will want to study it in detail too. - Frank Schaeffer, Author

I can't imagine Frank Schaeffer endorsing anything that engages in anti-Protestant polemics.

It doesn't look like the kind of thing that I would like. I agree with Choirfiend, that it seems from the publisher's blurb to lean a bit toward the polemic. Might I suggest as an alternative , Matthew Gallatin's Thirsting for God in a Land of Shallow Wells and a fair and balanced criticism of much of the West's errors, J. Phillip Lee's (himself a Protestant) "Against the Protestant Gnostics"
In Xp,
Eusebios
:bow:

I re-read most of THIRSTING a second time, because I didn't really like it the first time. And I found I didn't really like it the second time. To me, it's too polemical for my tastes, if that's the right word. However, Gallatin is a philosophy teacher, so I suspect he has some interesting things to say from that perspective - so I'll likely go hear him when he comes here in February for the Festival of Orthodoxy.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.