Has anyone looked at 1 Peter 2:24 in context?

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Not to beat a dead Horse,but the King James is special to me.
A trail of blood and destruction preceded its birth.
To me it is a symbolic victory over darkness but was formed from the Geneva Bible.
The Geneva Bible was considered the true Bible of the English people.
Wycliffe started the great task of translation.
He had found the Vulgate to be in error,and only written in Latin.
Upon his death his follower continued his work. His name was Hus.
The church of Rome was so angered they dug up Wycliffe and crushed his bones.
Hus moved forward until he was captured,they burned him at the stake with Wycliffes transcripts around him. Hus proclaimed while being burned that one hundred years later a man would free Gods word from the grip of Rome.
One hundred years later,Martin Luther made his great proclamation.
Oddly the King James was not used by protestants it was considered to be the Bible of the church of England.
The Geneva Bible was brought to America by the Pilgrims. The King James was the first Bible to be printed in America, and was the only bible to be authorized by the U.S. Congress.
I have left out a lot to make a point,the King James and Geneva Bibles are very close in translation with each other. The Word of God shined through the darkest of mans history,and these Bibles were paid for by great tribulation.
I am looking forward to buying a N.A.S.B, I have heard its translation is very literal.

Upvote 0

splat

Jan 16, 2012
✟8,083.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
(NASB)1 Peter 2:18
Servants, be submissive to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and gentle, but also to those who are unreasonable.

(KJV)1 Peter 2:18
Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward.

(NLT)1 Peter 2:18
You who are slaves must accept the authority of your masters with all respect. Do what they tell you-not only if they are kind and reasonable, but even if they are cruel.

(NIV)1 Peter 2:18
Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.

So which is it? Servants or slaves?

Upvote 0

ABlessedAnomaly

Teacher of the Word
Apr 28, 2006
Arizona
✟17,809.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
So which is it? Servants or slaves?
Generally in the Greek there is no difference.

Greek has a word, δούλους, that is used throughout scripture. It means a servant or a slave, whether voluntary or involuntary. It becomes difficult in translation since we have subtle (or not so subtle, as the case may be) difference of meaning to these words. There are about 5 words in Greek that translate as servant/slave.

The word in 1 Peter 2:18 is οἰκέται and means a household servant. This usually connotates to a domestic servant that is considered part of the family and resides in the house. It is used in Luke 16:13, Acts 10:7, Romans 14:4, Philemon 1:25, and of course 1 Peter 2:18.

Once again, to focus these verses strictly upon servants/slaves is to do violence to scripture. These verses are all talking about relationship, and all are pecular views of our relationship with Christ.

Upvote 0

splat

Jan 16, 2012
✟8,083.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Once again, to focus these verses strictly upon servants/slaves is to do violence to scripture. These verses are all talking about relationship, and all are pecular views of our relationship with Christ.

Well, we run into a problem with salvation unto eternal life if we push that point to far, seeing that the cross is mentioned in 1 Peter 2:24. Is salvation only to slaves? I don't think anyway would go that far.

Upvote 0

ABlessedAnomaly

Teacher of the Word
Apr 28, 2006
Arizona
✟17,809.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Well, we run into a problem with salvation unto eternal life if we push that point to far, seeing that the cross is mentioned in 1 Peter 2:24. Is salvation only to slaves? I don't think anyway would go that far.
I'll try that again. To say these verses are only for slaves is doing violence to scripture. These verses are using a relationship to talk to/about all men. In the manner a servant is submissive to a master...as people are submissive to their government...as we as a bride should be submissive to Chist our groom...as Jesus was submissive to the Father.

There are more [onion] layers to this as well...such as when we are in a servant's role to do so with respect and a joyous heart, for such pleases God (there are rewards spoken of if we do not seek our own vengence).

Upvote 0

MikeBigg

Apr 13, 2010
Hampshire, UK
✟17,374.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I'll try that again. To say these verses are only for slaves is doing violence to scripture.

You know, using phrases like that does not promote healthy debate, or any debate at all. You are so strong in your belief on this you thought it necessary to say it twice, the second time with more emphasis.

I think you are wrong in your suggestion that the passage applies with full applicability to all men. I think there are lessons to be gained from that passage for all, but the full application of it is only to the people it was addressed to - and that was slaves.

Now you say I have done violence to scripture. I say I have looked at it before God, with an open mind and come to a different conclusion to you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ABlessedAnomaly

Teacher of the Word
Apr 28, 2006
Arizona
✟17,809.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
You know, using phrases like that does not promote healthy debate, or any debate at all.
Sometimes the medium of forums makes things seem harsher than they were intended. Emotion (happy or angry) simply doesn't come over the computer screen very well.

In so far as debate goes, this is not a debate forum.[1] Splat asked a question and made a point. I simply gave my answer. We are two Word/Faith believers discussing the issue. Sorry if seemed cold.

You are so strong in your belief on this you thought it necessary to say it twice, the second time with more emphasis.

I think you are wrong in your suggestion that the passage applies with full applicability to all men. I think there are lessons to be gained from that passage for all, but the full application of it is only to the people it was addressed to - and that was slaves.

Now you say I have done violence to scripture. I say I have looked at it before God, with an open mind and come to a different conclusion to you.
Well, discussion allows for differing opinions. And that is healthy to a point. Of course when we talk about issues here in this forum, it is with doctrinal leanings toward Word/Faith. We believe that all scripture is given to men for edification and correction. And we believe that all promises are given to us. For instance:
3 John 1:2
2 Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers.
We believe that this is a promise.

Other denominations will say this is simply a greeting to Gaius and has little if any application to us personally.

In Word/Faith this is a promise that just as God desires our souls to prosper and be whole, that we are also to physically be healthy, prosperous (in all things) and whole.

It is a doctrinal and congregational issue. So in so far as 1 Peter 2 is concerned, the Word/Faith paradigm is to show meaning in scripture for all -- even if the scripture is written to a specific. You say this yourself above: you say this is addressed to the servants (and this is true), that a lesson can be gained for all (this is true, but watered down), and that the full application is only for the slave (then as splat says v18 to the end of the chapter is not applicable to us).

One of the greatest promises in the Bible is in 1 Peter 2:24. By the stripes that Jesus took on His body, we are healed. This is wholeness: physical, emotional and spiritual. It is our salvation and it is prosperity (not money, but wholeness -- nothing broken, nothing missing). It is a quote of Isaiah 53. It is reflected in Matthew 8. If this set of verses were, in full application, ONLY applied to the slave then the rest of the body of Christ miss out on an important promise.

We can't pick and choose these things either. We can't say, "well it's written to the slave but of course the salvation verse applies to us." That is a messy, messy hermeneutic.

We either say that this was written to the slave and is applicable to the slaves -- so if you are not a slave then cut it from your Bible. Or we say that this set of verses is applicable (fully) to all believers even as it is addressed to the slave to make a point.

I go with this promise:
2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
If I can't believe this (for verse 10 begins this paragraph saying: "But you [Timothy] have carefully followed..." and is clearly talking to Timothy (and Timothy alone?) and not directly to us) then I can't believe much that is written into the Bible, for I can make an argument that most of it was written (or spoken) to very small groups. To say we can glean truth from verses written to others waters down the scripture. Scripture wasn't given to us to glean from.

This book is Life. This Bible is the very Life that Christ came to give us; it is Rhema (ῥήματι) to us. Every word has Life. All Scripture is given by inspiration... all of it; and is profitable for doctrine, reproof, correction and instruction... to whom? that the man of God may be complete. That's you and me. All Scripture....for you and me. Not a gleaning, but a full frontal assult, a life changing, mind renewing, soul saving lesson and experience.

[1] It is important to note is that this is not a debate forum. They exist on Christian Forums, but this is not one of them. This is a congregational forum for Word of Faith discussions. This means that debate of a topic doesn't belong here, for only Word/Faith doctrines can be taught here (this is like a safe house for WoF believers). Questions can be asked; answers can be challenged but only within the congregation's context -- not to teach another doctrine.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
2 Corinthians 3:3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
We can banter with hermetically posed questions until we know more than God we think.
Amen Bob for Bringing this to the table,or else we would question every verse in the Bible.

Upvote 0

MikeBigg

Apr 13, 2010
Hampshire, UK
✟17,374.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Sometimes the medium of forums makes things seem harsher than they were intended. Emotion (happy or angry) simply doesn't come over the computer screen very well.

{ snips to save pixels }

Bob,

thanks for your graciously written post. Food for thought.

Blessings,

Mike

Upvote 0