✟101,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Yes it is legitimate if it's from this site http://eteacherbiblical.com/

We took Hebrew online for 2 years from their neighboring website Learn Hebrew | Online Hebrew Lessons With eTeacher It was a great experience and I learned a lot. We couldn't afford to go on with it though. If ever I have enough money, I will do it again. I really want to learn Hebrew fluently.

If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask, I might be able to help. :)

Upvote 0

jewelsarah

Jan 24, 2012
✟7,612.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Hi Yonah and Joy,

Thank you so much for your answers. Could you please tell me more? Specifically I'd like to know about their teaching method. I am a little uncertain about studying on the internet, do you know how exactly it works? Joy, how much did you learn in two years?

Thank you one more time.

Upvote 0

carswells

Feb 18, 2012
✟7,612.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I found eTeacher after searching for a Biblical Hebrew course. I really, really wish I hadn't.

Everything started okay. eTeacher seemed reputable and the staff seemed friendly and trustworthy.

I signed up for a course on November 14th, which I believed to be accredited by the Hebrew University of Jerusalem (as it says on their website).

I agreed to pay them a total of £510 for the course, which was to last from December 2011 to July 2012. The course was due to start on December 11th - for one hour per week.

On that first day after registering, eTeacher sent me a 'starter' email, telling me to install relevant software ahead of my learning pack arriving by post. This was the only email I received that day, despite the fact that the sales rep said he would send an invoice that day too (Nov 14th).

The first problem was almost immediate; they told me the payment would be taken in British pounds - but instead, it was taken in shekels (so I incurred two bank fees).

The second problem was I didn't receive an invoice on that day, or the next day, or the next week. I sent several emails asking for it, and was assured that I'd have it by the end of that day, by the next day, by the beginning of the next week, etc. Then, after eTeacher had ignored my emails for over three weeks, an invoice finally arrived on the 8th of December - inaccurate anyway, as it's in GBP, not shekels...

The third, and biggest problem, is that eTeacher also admitted to me on December 8th that the course I was enrolled on WASN'T even accredited by the Hebrew University.

I requested a refund immediately, but they are refusing, even though I have said that I will happily return their (unopened) learning kit to them.

They tell me that I knew that the course was unaccredited.

They have (apparently) listened to my phone conversation with their salesman and tell me that the salesman told me that the course wasn't accredited - utter rubbish, because I was specifically looking for an accredited course so wouldn't have signed up if I'd have known that it wasn't. I have asked to listen to the sales call myself, but they (conveniently) won't let me.

Their next step in trying to make me go away was to send me an email which they claim to have already sent me on November 14th, when I first signed up. It was absolutely not sent to me then - December 19th was the first time I saw it. (In fact, this email which they claim they sent me on the day I enrolled included an invoice, so I obviously didn't get it or I wouldn't have hounded them for an invoice for the next four weeks!)

This email includes their 'contract' (which I never saw, and which I was never explained the conditions of when I made the purchase over the phone) which states that if I cancel less than 72 hours before the course starting, I'll only get a 25% refund. Ring any bells? The day they admitted that the course was unaccredited was Dec 8th - coincidentally within 72 hours of my course starting on Dec 11th. They suddenly decided to tell me then, after ignoring my emails for several weeks.It seems as though this was a deliberate action so that they could refuse me a refund, based on their 'contract' which, I repeat, I had never been sent until Dec 19th.

The only help they are offering is a 'generous' discount on an upgrade to their accredited course. It involves another payment of nearly £400 more! They are refusing me a refund on the basis of this contract which I never saw and because apparently I knew that it was unaccredited.

But, firstly, why would I keep hounding them for an invoice if they sent it on day one? And (if there was a computer error and I should have got it), why wouldn't they tell me that I should have already received one every time I asked them about it in the following four weeks?

Secondly, if I was told the course was unaccredited in the sales call and I still agreed, why won't they let me hear it? Because it's rubbish - I was looking for an accredited course only, so would never have agreed to an unaccredited one.

Do NOT trust eTeacher!

At best, they have the most appalling customer service skills I have ever encountered and, at worst, their sales reps are misleading/deceptive and their customer service is possibly even fraudulent (in terms of mocking up an email which I never received in the hope of avoiding having to refund me).

Avoid eTeacher at all costs!

Do yourself a favour:

* if you want to learn languages, go anywhere else, and

* if you want to waste your money, flush it down the toilet rather than giving it to eteacher.

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm sorry that you're going through this, but....

I don't think that accreditation is the most important issue for most people who just want to learn the Hebrew of the Bible. I see it's an issue for you, but I don't think that would be an issue for the one asking the questions on this forum. Bottom line, eTeacher is a business, and they're out for number 1. That's always the case with businesses (even with the private school where I teach). You can't get around that. It sucks that they've done what they've done, but certainly you can prove your case to a solicitor and get a refund in the end. It sounds like you've got all the evidence that you need to support your case.

As far as the user who is asking on this forum, I'm sure that he is more interested in the quality of their teaching - and from all that I've heard from, it's good. The teachers know what they're doing. They're Hebrew speakers. They know the language of the Tanach and have been trained to do what they do. If you want to learn Hebrew, are not worried about accreditation, are willing to pay the fees associated with a solid learning program, then eTeacher is not a bad choice at all.

Upvote 0

carswells

Feb 18, 2012
✟7,612.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi yonah_mishael,

You're right - accreditation is not going to be the defining element for most people. However, my biggest problems are that they a) misrepresented their product and b) have failed 100% to ensure an even slightly happy customer.

Regardless of the accreditation status, I don't think these are 'qualities' that a potential Hebrew-learner wants of a company - especially when there is a significant time and financial commitment.
If eTeacher fail so miserably in terms of product description and customer satisfaction, how much trust can I put in to the quality of the education?

The reason I have shared my experience is that I think people deserve to know that eTeacher are far from professional in some aspects of their business.
I've told my story only because I believe it's fair to those who are potentially going to be investing time and money in eTeacher. When people are asking for personal experience with a particular company, I feel it's important to be honest - that's all.

Perhaps you would like to share your experience of eTeacher, if you believe that I have underestimated their ability.
Or are you too close to the company to comment objectively, if you know what I mean?! :)

Upvote 0

Somber

꧁✿❁❀❁✿꧂
Oct 23, 2011
The Fairy Ring
✟101,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Hi Yonah and Joy,

Thank you so much for your answers. Could you please tell me more? Specifically I'd like to know about their teaching method. I am a little uncertain about studying on the internet, do you know how exactly it works? Joy, how much did you learn in two years?

Thank you one more time.

I think that I learned quite a bit for never having even heard the Hebrew language in my life before. I learned how to read the alphabet, how to count, communication and grammar. I wish I had worked harder at it, but I think I learned a lot in 2 years. I really enjoyed it too.

I have to warn you though that some teachers are better than others, we had to switch one teacher because we didn't like her; my favorite teachers were Rivka Freshmen and Hagit Man, there are many other good teachers there, but we didn't really like Orna Zalmanov as much.

This clip shows kind of what it is like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YEam39LPjU&feature=player_embedded#!

Here are some clips that are really helpful in learning Hebrew from their website.
The clock | Hebrew lessons - Learn Hebrew with eTeacher

Upvote 0

Somber

꧁✿❁❀❁✿꧂
Oct 23, 2011
The Fairy Ring
✟101,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Hi yonah_mishael,

You're right - accreditation is not going to be the defining element for most people. However, my biggest problems are that they a) misrepresented their product and b) have failed 100% to ensure an even slightly happy customer.

Regardless of the accreditation status, I don't think these are 'qualities' that a potential Hebrew-learner wants of a company - especially when there is a significant time and financial commitment.
If eTeacher fail so miserably in terms of product description and customer satisfaction, how much trust can I put in to the quality of the education?

The reason I have shared my experience is that I think people deserve to know that eTeacher are far from professional in some aspects of their business.
I've told my story only because I believe it's fair to those who are potentially going to be investing time and money in eTeacher. When people are asking for personal experience with a particular company, I feel it's important to be honest - that's all.

Perhaps you would like to share your experience of eTeacher, if you believe that I have underestimated their ability.
Or are you too close to the company to comment objectively, if you know what I mean?! :)

That is really strange, because we had a WONDERFUL experience with eteacher and they gave us great teaching material and were so helpful. I learned so much, and I would recommend them to anyone who wished to learn Hebrew.

Your description doesn't sound like the same place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Huh? I have no affiliation at all with this company. I've never had anything to do with them. I took Hebrew in college. :shrug:

Upvote 0

Marie Lynn

Jun 13, 2009
✟7,780.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hey guys,
Just wanted to say I had signed up for the eteacher course a few years back to further my listening skills in Hebrew, and received their materials thru the mail such as books and the headset but because of problems with my computer and communication it was not working out for us. They told me to go ahead and keep the materials they had sent, their representative tried to even help me with the computer problems but it didn't work out.

Anyway, to this day I am useing their headset, and study on my own from their book. They were fair with me, and really nice. So I never experienced anything negative with them at all.

Reactions: yonah_mishael
Upvote 0

Ester Susan

May 30, 2012
✟15,111.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I looked at it, it seems like a reliable website, plus I have gotten a call from them and they offer a year of courses for around one hundred dollars.

My question is for those who have used it, is it reliable? Is it a scam? Etc.

Thank You In Advance God Bless:D

I was offered a 9 months course for 709 euro - they claim to be linked to the Hebrew University - but is there anybody who knows more about this course????

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rfanter

Aug 22, 2012
✟7,611.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Well this is what I was told. You may register for the accredited class with the university or the non accredited class (for about $400 less). I was told this right from the beginning. The reason is because the university is not involved as per examinations and homework and evaluations etc. Nor are they receiving funds from the non accredited class. Sounds to me like you misunderstood up front. Anyway, I have taken Hebrew and Aramaic as a non accredited student. Realize that most people are not taking these classes for credit. This is how they are able to deliver the product for less money to the larger majority of students who do not need the credit. I have had to switch class times because of work schedules. I had the privilege of evaluating various instructors. I believe they do a great job in teaching the language concepts and the on line tool they use is not moodle or blackboard or joule but it seems to be a product of their own design which works well. The class materials are useful. I have no complaints and can see myself proceeding further into higher level classes. I give it ***** stars and two thumbs up. Teachers are aquainted not only with the language they are teaching but each of them seems to have command over several languages.

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I just signed up for their biblical hebrew course. I hope it goes well! Thank you to all those who shared personal experiences in this forum - I will be sure to share mine as the year progresses!

Good luck!! :)

Upvote 0

mr333

Aug 1, 2013
✟15,114.00
Faith
Atheist
After being sweet talked by a pushy persistent sales rep who failed to mention some rather important info about the products terms and conditions, and told untruths about the product, I unfortunately agreed to a self teach program with this very shady Israeli company.
Once the payment was taken, the email stated that if I wish to cancel within certain time scales (1 month being the longest) I would only be reimbursed a fraction of what I had paid. Surely this should have been mentioned by the sales rep before purchasing. Also there was no free trial period to see if it was actually any good. Let me tell you it was terrible!! The self teach videos are slow loading, jump, randomly skip, freeze, and sometime just dont load at all. The "teacher" in the video is patronising and talks at you as if you are 2 years old. Not what I would expect from an adult learning product.
After approx 3 weeks of attempted use I finally decided the product was very poor, and definately not worth the price that was paid for it!!!
This is where the fun begins, when trying to contact etachers so called customer service department, the phone rings forever and no one ever answers!! So we tried to call the sales line, and got an answer straight away. I tried to explain the problems and issues, but the sales team, just told me to call customer service, to which I told them that nobody ever answers. they then tried to transfer me and cut me off. This is eteachers customer service favourite trick, they say "hold on, let me put you through" leave you on hold forever then cut you off after a message "sorry there has been an error".
Then, when you get through, the staff are unhelpful, unapologetic, and poorly trained and do all they can to get you off the phone.
They tried to tell me that it was my internet connection, when I asked them the speed required to run their stream player, the guy in tech told me minimum 2.5mps... my connection was running at almost 6mps.
They refuse to refund the full cost of the poor product, they do not attempt to satisfactorily resolve issues. All they are interested in is getting your money!!!
When trying to get a refund full or partial, they told me numberous times that someone will call you today, or, someone will call you tomorrow, to which nobody ever did, they make you chase them in the cat and mouse game of cutting you off. keeping you on hold, transfering you to wrong departments, or transfering you to people who know noting about your case, and the problems you have. Trust me... you will be doing yourself a favour by steering well clear of this bunch of cowboys!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

janina

Aug 19, 2013
✟15,111.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
My father has had a terrible experience with this course. he wants to stop the course but they told him that he signed a contract what isn't true, they still calling him even though my father has told them that he only received one class and he doesn't want anymore!! they told my father he has to pay the whole course if not he will be sued. Any suggestions?? We don't want to pay the rest of the course because is a waste of money, we already paid 450$ and it's ok if they don't give us the money back but why would we have to pay 1050$ more??? is just not fair!!

Upvote 0