✟15,248.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm re-posting this from the witnessing forum in hope that someone will answer

I did a couple of years ago at a retirement village. My daughter and I went to maybe 25 homes and we got a faithful member of our church as a result. I plan to do this again by spring time. I have thought of some strategies but was wondering if anyone else has gone witnessing door to door and how it went. Maybe there is some info we could share. The biggest problem I've had is people assume I'm a JW. Thanks

BlueJay83

sursum peragemus
Mar 3, 2011
Top of the South, NZ
✟8,826.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
yeah, been there done that.

door to door I find is harder than in the street.

People feel on-guard and attacked if you try get into their home.
the times i've had the best and most productive discussions were when i approached random people in the street.

We were using "the Way of the Master" method.. which was very useful and is a very practical method. (coming from someone who usedto be SUPER shy.. it was a good method)

.. but ultimatley it burnt me out and i realised it isn't the full Gospel it claims to be.

(end rant)

Upvote 0

Solomon's Portico

Evangelist
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
✟15,248.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
OK thank you, Im going to be doing two things when going door to door. Evangelize and invite to our church. I'm hoping to get a feel for each person to see how far i can push , for lack of a better term. Im sorry your burnt out, i also use Way of the Master but i try to make it my own and not always a "sales pitch" which is easy to fall into. Can you tell me how WOTM burnt you out? thanks, by the way im praying for you and your wife, God bless

Upvote 0

Solomon's Portico

Evangelist
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
✟15,248.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I used to lay guilt trips on people too. As if I knew it all. I dont agree with WOTM as it pertains to the gift of evangelism. Not everyone is gifted to go out and preach the gospel. We are all commanded to share our faith but what that looks like is different to different people . Dont get me wrong , I dont mean that the gospel is changed rather that the application to who and when is different. For example I am gifted as a evangelist and i go out on the streets, colleges etc. However, I have freinds who are not evangelist share there faith to co-workers and family. What they do is just as important as what I do. I agree with you that the streets are easier than door to door But i live in rural VT. I have a small city 20 minutes away that i rottenly visit but to get people close by our church i need to go door to door. I look forward to reading your rant when you can post links

Upvote 0

StonedProphet

May 11, 2011
✟337.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
It's discouraging to preach anything in a world where a person can learn all about it by changing a channel. Who is there who hasn't heard of the Gospel and made up their mind? Maybe some tribes at the edge of the world. They are the ones to reach now, unless you've got a good argument on behalf of Jesus. Tried that approach, but it's not very effective when you realize you're up against "strong delusion" for those who won't believe. I don't think God wants to be found through means of logic and arguments.

Upvote 0

Bella Vita

Sailor in the U.S.N
May 18, 2011
✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think that it works honestly the best missions are those that go out on the street and evangelize/share their faith. Or those that go out and show love by doing service or labor. Those types of missions are your best bet Mormons have been doing door to door for years and have only received a lot of hate and a bad reputation because of it not the followers they prayed for.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sanerive

May 20, 2011
Australia
Visit site
✟15,194.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
I've done door to door evangelism in rural and urban settings in 4 different countries. In Western countries it can be challenging. In Fiji, I was invited inside homes and got to share the gospel with whole families. I remember a time when I got to pray for a woman's son and led him to Christ with his mother crying in the background from what was happening.
In Australia and New Zealand, I've been able to pray with people at their door. I just ask if I can pray or if they have any requests they'd like prayer over. I've also been to some places that were pretty sketchy... For sure, people have a right to shut their door in your face and if you're someone who's insecure then you definitely need to pray for protection over your mind and identity in Christ.
Some things that I do while going door to door is asking God to give a word of knowledge or something that He would like to specifically share with whoever answers. I've come to realize that God has specific things that He wants to share with those around me and a lot of the times if I'm making myself available to hear Him amidst door knocking it's a chance for God to manifest His word to someone's blind and darkened mind or hard heart. I might be the only point of contact that person may receive in knowing God.

Upvote 0

kimmyh51

&quot ;liv i ng proof that god
Apr 23, 2011
✟15,224.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I've done door to door evangelism in rural and urban settings in 4 different countries. In Western countries it can be challenging. In Fiji, I was invited inside homes and got to share the gospel with whole families. I remember a time when I got to pray for a woman's son and led him to Christ with his mother crying in the background from what was happening.
In Australia and New Zealand, I've been able to pray with people at their door. I just ask if I can pray or if they have any requests they'd like prayer over. I've also been to some places that were pretty sketchy... For sure, people have a right to shut their door in your face and if you're someone who's insecure then you definitely need to pray for protection over your mind and identity in Christ.
Some things that I do while going door to door is asking God to give a word of knowledge or something that He would like to specifically share with whoever answers. I've come to realize that God has specific things that He wants to share with those around me and a lot of the times if I'm making myself available to hear Him amidst door knocking it's a chance for God to manifest His word to someone's blind and darkened mind or hard heart. I might be the only point of contact that person may receive in knowing God.
Have you heard of treasure hunting? What you are doing is what treasure hunting is about. Basically you pray beforehand for clues such as appearance, location (where the person is) things they might need prayer or healing for, and so on. Ive never done it myself, but I was found by treasure hunters, right after I prayed for a church that fit my needs (and yes the church I am now as as a result fits my needs perfectly).

A couple of weeks ago the lady who 'hunted' me, gave a talk about this way of evangelism, and I was really surprised to hear that she was totally terrified of going out and approaching people at the start (I just assumed she was one of those confident fervent types who have no fear at all of doing that sort of thing), anyway she said that it was much much easier once they bit the bullet and did it, this way, as instead of just approaching everyone, and coming across as someone who is just keen to 'evangelize' as many people as possible with no real interest in the individual, they were able to show people a list of clues that they had which were about that person and sometimes the person would be really blown away by the accuracy of the clues, and often there would be other non visible clues about what was going on in the life of the person that were also on this list.
It sounds like it is a much easier way to get out there than just approaching everyone, and I get the feeling that the people who have been doing it, have also been blessed themselves when they have seen miracles, in the accuracy of the people they found or healed ppl etc.
I feel as though a lot of the christians that approached me when i was not one, were trying to convince me via logic or reason, or just a good presentation. Which is kinda illogical really - as it leaves out the best part of the sales pitch, god himself. Given evangelism is for god, and is his will, seems logical to me to ask him to guide those who are gutsy enough to get out and do this.

Do you have any special stories about the things that have happened when you approached people as a result of what god was telling you Sanerive?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums