the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Well, surely you've noticed different cultural groups have different cooking styles, right? The French usually make a big thing about it.
Chefs make a big thing about it. Chefs can be any nationality. We all have different foods we prefer and how we cook them, but I hadn't considered that to be 'behavior'. I'm a Psych major, cooking isn't even on the list when I consider people's behavior.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Chefs make a big thing about it. Chefs can be any nationality. We all have different foods we prefer and how we cook them, but I hadn't considered that to be 'behavior'. I'm a Psych major, cooking isn't even on the list when I consider people's behavior.
Curious. Because I've seen it defined as one of the more significant cultural traits.

Upvote 0

pakicetus

Apr 11, 2015
✟89,017.00
Country
Faroe Islands
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
The DNA spread between certain races are higher than the DNA spread between various classes of animals widely recognized as different species in biological taxonomy. Race = species.

lol I was hoping I'd see posts like that when I made this thread. Any sources you'd like to cite?

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I actually have a degree in anthropology, with a focus on cultural anthropology. Cooking is part of culture.

While I don't agree with Old Wise Guy (especially as Indian cuisine is a particular favorite of mine) I have heard other people complain as he does about it. A Russian woman I know complained bitterly when she was given the cubicle and computer of a former Indian employee at her company. She claimed the entire cubicle smelled like curry spices for months after.

Upvote 0

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I am currently in the process of renting my upstairs apartment. There are several ethnicities I will not rent to, not based on physical appearance but behaviors strongly associated with their culture that I don't like (can't stand the smell of Indian cooking.....too much curry).

I wouldn't be public about saying that OldWiseGuy. It's illegal for a landlord to be discriminatory for reasons of National Origin under the Civil Rights Act of 1968.

Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
At the end it just displayed this weird symbol and said "print this out and wear it on your arm". Not sure what that means. It was like a cross, with bent angles, kind of like a pinwheel

The Natzi's being well known for their interest and study of subconscious racial associations...

I didn't get the racial test I must be part of the control group. I have a subconscious preference for long facedness. Which is weird.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I already know I'm racist. I still think the way the test is presented likely skews results. I don't know how you'd fix it, necessarily, but I do have reservations about the methodology.
Why do you think you are racist?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wouldn't be public about saying that OldWiseGuy. It's illegal for a landlord to be discriminatory for reasons of National Origin under the Civil Rights Act of 1968.

From the link,

"Lawful discrimination
Only certain kinds of discrimination are covered by fair housing laws. Landlords are not required by law to rent to any tenant who applies for a property. Landlords can select tenants based on objective business criteria, such as the applicant's ability to pay the rent and take care of the property."

I am usually able to select from several applicants, so I'm covered.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think you are racist?
Because I have prejudiced negative opinions about certain races. I'm big enough to admit it. I'm ethical enough to know that it's wrong, too. But it's hard to set aside visceral reactions. I do my best to overcome them in my day to day dealings, but I know that I am what I am.

Upvote 0

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for European American compared to African American."

I knew that...

I'm not a racist; I'm a realist.

What's going to really screw up the data is that I'm a blue-collar, lower income Christian ultra conservative from Idaho who grew up in an all-white neighborhood in Northern Idaho.

They probably figured I should have a "strong preference" for white folks... Nope. I like good people; no matter the color...

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Racism is hate. Irrational hate for an entire race. That has nothing to do with my post. And "race" = "species" according to the English language
No, not even in English. Show that dictionary.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I actually have a degree in anthropology, with a focus on cultural anthropology. Cooking is part of culture.

While I don't agree with Old Wise Guy (especially as Indian cuisine is a particular favorite of mine) I have heard other people complain as he does about it. A Russian woman I know complained bitterly when she was given the cubicle and computer of a former Indian employee at her company. She claimed the entire cubicle smelled like curry spices for months after.

That spice is, specifically, Cumin.

Upvote 0