Harry Potter: Blasphemy or not?

Noddy22

Aug 9, 2007
✟7,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I dont think its the books that are the problem - its some of the people who read them! I was watching as people were being interviewed (when the last book was released) by reporters and heard one girl say: ' i dont know what im going to do now that Harry Potter is gone - my life will be so empty! ' GET JESUS CHRIST IN YOUR LIFE WOMAN LOL. I think it is stupid to get so obssesed over something thats not real. If your looking for reality - pick up a bible and start reading - read books about people who have been saved and dramatically changed their lives because of the love of God :)

Upvote 0

Berniquen

Apr 7, 2007
Gresham, Oregon
✟15,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I nearly got sent home from a mission trip for reading Harry Potter (back when I was sixteen, I live in California and was ministering in Scotland ... that would have been an expensive plane ticket back!)

Now... I say what I'm about to say to prove a point and not to point to myself as a spiritual giant nor to suggest that I am in any way responsible for the results... but I don't think I hindered them.

The purpose of the mission trip was street evangelism -- and despite having read the entire harry potter book on the trip (I had just finished it when it was confiscated) -- I witnessed to more people who chose to accept Christ than anybody else on the trip. -- My reading this fictional book didn't get in the way of my faith, ministry, or the actions of the Holy Spirit.

I wouldn't suggest that it helped, but I don't believe it hindered. -- However, if somebody believes that it would hinder them, then I think they should make that choice for themselves (and their children,) but not for me and other Christians.

Reactions: Gwenyfur
Upvote 0

Utah Knight

A friend to all
Supporter
Jun 29, 2004
Just north of Salt Lake City Utah
✟90,009.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'll put my o[pinion simple and short it is fiction there is nothing wrong with it although i personally am not a fan of it it is still just fine because it is fiction. If you think it is wrong than so is startrek, starwars, The hobbit, lord of the rings, eragon and many other stories that are fiction

Upvote 0
I

ImperialPhantom

I dont think its the books that are the problem - its some of the people who read them! I was watching as people were being interviewed (when the last book was released) by reporters and heard one girl say: ' i dont know what im going to do now that Harry Potter is gone - my life will be so empty! ' GET JESUS CHRIST IN YOUR LIFE WOMAN LOL. I think it is stupid to get so obssesed over something thats not real. If your looking for reality - pick up a bible and start reading - read books about people who have been saved and dramatically changed their lives because of the love of God :)
Yep, and it could happen with anything, not just Potter. Hell, my girlfriend would probably accuse me of it once Charger season is over :p

Upvote 0

omarrocks

Jun 13, 2007
✟8,311.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I personally think that Harry Potter is very blasphemous, saying that these people can perform "magic" and are therefore aere stronger than God. This is a danger to children, who are very suseptible to these things.
Hello friend,

It's not "blasphemous" I don't think, as nobody in the books claims to be God, so therefore by definition it can't be blasphemy.

Yet, I can understand why many perceive Harry Potter as a source of negative influences.

Blessings and love.

Omar

Upvote 0

djsterf

Passionately in Love with the Savior
Supporter
Oct 11, 2007
Visit site
✟25,966.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I always consider the questions, 'Will this help me grow spiritually and closer to God?' and, 'Will it offend anyone or my own convictions in the presence of my partaking this?' (cf. Romans 14).

If you can meet those guidelines, then that which is of faith is not sin.

Upvote 0

JayJay77

Dec 8, 2005
Mannford, OK
✟8,375.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I don't think Harry Potter is for everyone...just like I don't think listening to "secular" music is for everyone. Some need stricter guidelines, while others are not affected.

Paul talks about this kind of scenario where people ate meat offered to idols. Some thought it was wrong. It's not wrong...but it is wrong to say it's not wrong in front of those who think it is, because their faith is still being worked out. Confusing isn't it? ^_^ :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ailcid

Nov 7, 2007
✟7,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lord Of The Rings is CHRISTIAN THEMED.... Why? It portrays good and evil...... GANDALF with magic? Gandalf according to the movie is an angelic being sent to fight EVIL......

Harry Potter in the other hand promotes magic to people. How can you fight evil with evil ways? The only way to fight evil is to TRUST GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, WITH ALL YOUR MIND, WITH ALL YOUR SOUL. Satan hates that so much! Hehe

Upvote 0
D

dragoniatiegre

Lord Of The Rings is CHRISTIAN THEMED.... Why? It portrays good and evil...... GANDALF with magic? Gandalf according to the movie is an angelic being sent to fight EVIL......

Harry Potter in the other hand promotes magic to people. How can you fight evil with evil ways? The only way to fight evil is to TRUST GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, WITH ALL YOUR MIND, WITH ALL YOUR SOUL. Satan hates that so much! Hehe
The movie, nor the book, portray Gandalf as such. You are also saying in reference to HP that magic is evil, yet you condone it for Gandalf? Your post makes no logical sense whatsoever.

Upvote 0

Jobina

Nov 10, 2007
✟7,677.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My friend (who is currently serving in the Marines) was a warlock (male witch) and we talked about the whole Harry Potter thing I'll just repeat what he said "bro you don't realize...its all real the curses and spells that they cast in the movies and books, the practices and rites and everything" this coming out of the mouth of someone who liked Harry Potter untill he actually saw the first movie.

Upvote 0
D

dragoniatiegre

My friend (who is currently serving in the Marines) was a warlock (male witch) and we talked about the whole Harry Potter thing I'll just repeat what he said "bro you don't realize...its all real the curses and spells that they cast in the movies and books, the practices and rites and everything" this coming out of the mouth of someone who liked Harry Potter untill he actually saw the first movie.
My best friend is a wiccan. The words used in the the Harry Potter series are made up. They aren't real spells. The words are just latinized versions of an english phrase. Take the disarming spell-"expelliarmus". It's literally "expell arms".

None of the spells have any power, nor are they real. They're all a joke.

Upvote 0

Colabomb

I seek sin like a moth towards flame, save me God.
Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Everyone has an expert, claiming "Dude its real".

Hard facts, otherwise I don't take hearsay.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LizzieSpinelli

Dec 2, 2007
✟15,181.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well God says not to mess with stuff like that, magic, wizardry, witchcraft... I know so many people use the excuse that it's all fiction, but not all the time. Maybe the book is, but that kind of stuff exists and allowing it into us even the slightest bit isn't right. I mean, you wouldn't eat a cookie with a little bit of poison in it would you?

Upvote 0

Colabomb

I seek sin like a moth towards flame, save me God.
Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well God says not to mess with stuff like that, magic, wizardry, witchcraft... I know so many people use the excuse that it's all fiction, but not all the time. Maybe the book is, but that kind of stuff exists and allowing it into us even the slightest bit isn't right. I mean, you wouldn't eat a cookie with a little bit of poison in it would you?

Do you watch television programs where people engage in extramarital sex? Where lying is considered an acceptable alternative to hurting someone's feelings? Where jokes are made about sex and infidelity?

Unless you avoid all media, its pretty hard to say you don't.

If you can't Read Harry Potter, you can't watch Friends.

Anywho, God said not to practice witchcraft, involving ritual sacrifice, self mutilation, consulting demons and summoning demonic aid.

He never said anything about reading books involving hack latin and wand waving.

Upvote 0

Kitangel

Radical lefty
Jan 13, 2006
Melbourne
✟19,220.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Alright, here's a thought. Does Harry Potter teach Divination. Do you know what it means to "Divine"? Let me tell you a story......

A homeschooling family in America went to a carnival. They passed a row of psychics and tarot and crystal ball readers. They were quite disturbed seeing them, and at lunch (at the carnival, nowhere near those tents) they prayed for God to send His spirit to them, to help them see the wrong in their ways, and to convert.
Believe this: The tarot readers, psychics, etc came running out of their tent and demanded the family stop their praying, because it was interruption their psychic waves. That isn't hocus pocus. Thats real. Thats demon work. And it happened. and Crystal ball reading is what they teach in Harry Potter, isn't it?

Upvote 0

Netbug009

Dec 4, 2006
✟8,378.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Alright, here's a thought. Does Harry Potter teach Divination. Do you know what it means to "Divine"? Let me tell you a story......

A homeschooling family in America went to a carnival. They passed a row of psychics and tarot and crystal ball readers. They were quite disturbed seeing them, and at lunch (at the carnival, nowhere near those tents) they prayed for God to send His spirit to them, to help them see the wrong in their ways, and to convert.
Believe this: The tarot readers, psychics, etc came running out of their tent and demanded the family stop their praying, because it was interruption their psychic waves. That isn't hocus pocus. Thats real. Thats demon work. And it happened. and Crystal ball reading is what they teach in Harry Potter, isn't it?

Ooh, now that's an interesting story. O.O Thank you for sharing.

Upvote 0
D

dragoniatiegre

Harry Potter doesn't teach anyone anything. And if you really believe that gazing into a crystal ball will actually get anyone any info, than I'm sad for you. Those people at the fair are trained con people. They make a living on saying vauge things, and trying to look at someone and make something up about their life.

I really don't believe that story; if you do have a valid source, I'd love to see it.

Upvote 0