Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Super Bowl champion kicker Harrison Butker of the Kansas City Chiefs wasn't afraid to let his views be known in a recent sit-down with EWTN News for a wide-ranging interview last week that hit on some hot-button topics.

In addition to discussing his team's victory over the San Francisco 49ers in last month's Super Bowl, Butker, a member of the Catholic fraternal order Knights of Columbus, outlined the vital role faith and family play in ensuring the health of society as a whole.

He also touched on abortion, fatherhood and his strong opposition to a Catholic church hosting a funeral for a trans-identified activist.

Reactions: DJWhalen

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We’re supposed to listen to athletes political views now? Though they were supposed to shut up and play?

I have never suggested that at all.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Butker's position as a football star doesn't confer any particular expertise or authority, but he has a right to air his layman opinions.

EWTN, a conservative Catholic media company, was probably the only one willing to give him a soapbox.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Butker's position as a football star doesn't confer any particular expertise or authority, but he has a right to air his layman opinions.

EWTN, a conservative Catholic media company, was probably the only one willing to give him a soapbox.
I believe that his very sincere Catholic faith, beliefs, and experiences are what gives him some wisdom, or authority, to speak his opinions.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I believe that his very sincere Catholic faith, beliefs, and experiences are what gives him some wisdom, or authority, to speak his opinions.
Unlike all those athletes who express views you disagree with, they clearly haven’t thought them through, this one saying things you agree with has thought them through. What a coincidence.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Unlike all those athletes who express views you disagree with, they clearly haven’t thought them through, this one saying things you agree with has thought them through. What a coincidence.
Why are you insisting on putting words into my mouth? Words which I have never said?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This seems to confuse the difference between wanting something to be real and that thing having any sort of external reality. A common problem these days, especially in right wing propaganda.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
And that's the issue. It doesn't. You only think so because you agree with those opinions. There are plenty of other religious leaders whose opinions differ from yours and, therefore, do not feel their "faith, beliefs and experiences" confer any sort of "wisdom, or authority to speak [their] opinions."

So, what we're all kind of saying is, who cares what this guy thinks? He's certainly free to express those opinions if he wishes. Just keep kicking the ball good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
He also touched on abortion, fatherhood and his strong opposition to a Catholic church hosting a funeral for a trans-identified activist.
Can't forgive them even after they have died.

Deplorable.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nope

"his strong opposition to a Catholic church hosting a funeral for a trans-identified activist. " Deplorable.
It is deplorable to you only because you disagree with him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Let's try something hypothetical. Let's suppose that a transgender activist wanted his/her funeral to be at an Independent Baptist church. Do you believe that the members of that church, as well as the staff & ministers of that church should be expected to be perfectly acceptable to that request from the transgender activist?

Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
WWJD? I agree with Pope Francis in choosing Mercy and compassion over legalistic judgmentalism every time.
WWJD?
Unless a person is born again, their eternal destiny is not forgiveness and eternal life with the Lord Jesus Christ in heaven.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And that's the issue. It doesn't. You only think so because you agree with those opinions. There are plenty of other religious leaders whose opinions differ from yours and, therefore, do not feel their "faith, beliefs and experiences" confer any sort of "wisdom, or authority to speak [their] opinions."

So, what we're all kind of saying is, who cares what this guy thinks? He's certainly free to express those opinions if he wishes. Just keep kicking the ball good.
Your opinion about me could not be more wrong.

But here is my opinion. The liberals don't like that athlete's beliefs and opinions so therefore they attempt to discredit him.
Instead of debating the various different points in his message, it appears that the liberals would rather attack the messenger.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Instead of debating the various different points in his message, it appears that the liberals would rather attack the messenger.
Common ground between conservatives and liberals at last.

Upvote 0