The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I just wanted to wish everyone on the Gregorian Calender a blessed Palm Sunday.

Our Coptic and Eastern Orthodox friends including but not limited to @dzheremi @Pavel Mosko @prodromos and @HTacianas will be celebrating Palm Sunday next weekend. Reader Chrysostom ( @Greek Orthodox ) is away due to a tragedy involving his neighbors, so please pray for him.

As some Oriental Orthodox including all Indian Orthodox and the Armenian Orthodox outside of the Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem are on the Gregorian Calendar, along with the Finnish Orthodox Church, which is an autonomous Eastern Orthodox Church under the omophorion of the Patriarch of Constantinople, I am posting this thread to serve everyone regardless as to whether they are on the Gregorian, Julian or Coptic calendars.

Photos and videos of the liturgies at your churches are requested. I particularly want to see how @MarkRohfrietsch ’s parish serves it, and also any churches using green as the liturgical color for the day (the Eastern Orthodox use green vestments and paraments mainly on Palm Sunday and Pentecost, and gold vestments on days when no other color is applicable; these traditions originated among the Slavic Orthodox, as the Typikon, the book of rubrics for ordering the services, merely specifies light or dark vestments).

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
the Eastern Orthodox use green vestments and paraments mainly on Palm Sunday and Pentecost, and gold vestments on days when no other color is applicable; these traditions originated among the Slavic Orthodox, as the Typikon, the book of rubrics for ordering the services, merely specifies light or dark vestments).

Why do you think green is used on Pentecost? Temples are decorated in green leafy foliage too. Spring? Where, other than the Orthodox, do you see this? :)

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Why do you think green is used on Pentecost? Temples are decorated in green leafy foliage too. Spring? Where, other than the Orthodox, do you see this? :)

In Judaism of course. I have wanted to observe a non-chassidic Orthodox synagogue service on Pentecost, or Shavuot as I believe they call it, in a synagogue with beautiful choral music, like the Moscow New Synagogue or many of the Orthodox synagogues in Great Britain that are part of the United Synagogue under the Chief Rabbi (Lord Jonathan Sacks retired a few years ago, but I greatly admired him; I don’t know the name of his successor).

I love the study of Hebraic liturgy and I love Jewish liturgical music and cantillation. I particularly like the Karaite Jewish music sung on Purim. I have Karaite and generic Orthodox Siddurim, and also a rare copy of the Samaritan Defter, or prayer book, which is also beautiful. And I love the vestments of the Beta Israel, which are almost exactly like those of the Ethiopian Tewahedo Orthodox Church. We have to remember that Christian liturgy is based on Jewish liturgy, with the Divine Office specifically based on the pattern of worship established by St. Esdras when St. Nehemiah the Holy Prophet restored the Jews to Judaea.

In Orthodoxy, the color green symbolizes new life, which is why churches usually keep the green paraments and vespers up at least in part for the Feast of All Saints.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
In Judaism of course. I have wanted to observe a non-chassidic Orthodox synagogue service on Pentecost, or Shavuot as I believe they call it, in a synagogue with beautiful choral music, like the Moscow New Synagogue or many of the Orthodox synagogues in Great Britain that are part of the United Synagogue under the Chief Rabbi (Lord Jonathan Sacks retired a few years ago, but I greatly admired him; I don’t know the name of his successor).

I love the study of Hebraic liturgy and I love Jewish liturgical music and cantillation. I particularly like the Karaite Jewish music sung on Purim. I have Karaite and generic Orthodox Siddurim, and also a rare copy of the Samaritan Defter, or prayer book, which is also beautiful. And I love the vestments of the Beta Israel, which are almost exactly like those of the Ethiopian Tewahedo Orthodox Church. We have to remember that Christian liturgy is based on Jewish liturgy, with the Divine Office specifically based on the pattern of worship established by St. Esdras when St. Nehemiah the Holy Prophet restored the Jews to Judaea.

In Orthodoxy, the color green symbolizes new life, which is why churches usually keep the green paraments and vespers up at least in part for the Feast of All Saints.

Nice! I figured you knew, but many do not. Also, 3000 died at Sinai for idolatry (golden calf) and at Shavuot/Pentecost, 3000 were saved (Acts 2:41). :)

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,563.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
upload_2022-4-10_20-59-56.jpeg

• Friendly
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Happy Palm Sunday to all Eastern Orthodox, Coptic Orthodox, Ethiopian Orthodox and Syriac Orthodox readers, and to Armenians in the Holy Land!

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Happy Palm Sunday to all Orthodox members of Christian Forums (assumimg we don’t have any Finnish, Armenian or Indian Orthodox I am unaware of).

Again, if you are Orthodox, please share your Palm Sunday service if you jave pictures and videos and are so inclined.

Last edited:
Upvote 0