Happy Birthday to our Members!!!

bluewolf

Christian Counseling
Apr 16, 2003
Md (dc suburb)
✟149.00
Faith
Christian
As you know, all I have is my Bible because I have not received my good books yet. I was reading in Gen, and this came.

Gen 1:1-2 In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

It is my personal opinion that this refers not to the true beginning, but to the beginning for the planet earth. This beginning cannot be the beginning of all things or else there would have been no God to be the creator. God has to have been eternal, never a time he was not.

It appears that there was no light, only vast empty space with one presence we have learned to know as God. There can be no beginning because there can be no way to determine how long this presence occupied this chasm. Since there is no indication that God was created, it can be assumed that God not only exists in eternal future but eternal past.

There can be no beginning of God because the word beginning denotes a defined starting point. There is no starting point for God. God is, was and ever shall be.

It furthermore states that the earth was without form. Before God created, there was nothing physical about anything. There was not anything. There was only God.

It refers to darkness over the surface of the deep. We can understand the dark because light was not yet created. The word deep makes sense to us. We think of something like a deep lake, like a lake that goes down 100 feet before we can touch the bottom. Make no mistake about this, there was no bottom or top, because there was no physical presence. Sometimes we refer to a thing as being a ‘bottomless pit’. This is an eternal, infinite deep, but the concept is similar. The main difference is that with a bottomless pit, there is typically visualized a top to the pit. The deep referred to in Gen 1:2 is infinite, without any dimensions. There was no top, bottom or sides to this ‘pit’ or ‘deep’.

This is what often makes the Bible so hard to understand. If there is no actual physical depth that can be measured, then what does he mean by surface of the deep. It appears, quite simply that in this infinite chasm, there was a space that God had chosen for his creation and this was referred to as ‘the surface of the deep’.

This verse refers to the ‘spirit of God’, which again affirms that God, alone in the chasm of eternal past, was indeed in non-physical, spiritual form. To say that God is spirit can be visualized by watching a young child trying to catch the water as it comes out of the spigot. Spirit cannot be seen heard, or touched in any physical way, nor can it be contained. It can only be experienced in spirit. This affirms which much of the rest of the Bible alludes to, that God can only be experienced in spirit. In his creation, God put a spirit inside of each of us so that we could communicate with him in a pure, non-physical way.

This verse ends with the words ‘the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters’ God did not create the oceans until the second day of creation. This was before the creation began. What does he mean by ‘waters’? What ‘waters’? Is he speaking symbolically? The words water and word are often used interchangeably with Jesus Christ. If God meant this to refer to Christ, than this verse alone places Christ, God the Father and the Holy Spirit in the beginning, in the ‘void’ before the creation of the heavens and the earth.

I see an artist who makes pottery. This artist is holding a lump of clay and folding and molding it. It is not anything yet, it is without form. I believe that God had created some of the elements that would become earth before he actually made the earth. So he hovered [like the potter hovers over his lump of clay],over what would become the oceans and rivers of earth. While he had not yet created the actual physical form of anything, he was, at this point preparing, bringing into being the elements which would be present in that creation. So he hovered over the ‘waters’ that he was preparing for the creation of ‘the heavens and the earth’.

Interested to hear your take is on this.

Laura

If this still comes out in html, sorry, I tried every way I could think of to get rid of it