Status
Not open for further replies.

ElizabethHope

Oct 21, 2004
Irvine
✟144.00
Faith
Lutheran
I'm a new Lutheran, and love Halloween, I just think it's a fun excuse to get all dressed up and be silly (even though I'm not a little kid anymore). I just had a few questions as to some things in this thread...being a new Lutheran I have no idea what Oct 31 is to a Lutheran or what the LCMS and ELCA are...please explain? Thanks!

Upvote 0

filosofer

Senior Veteran
Feb 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,913.00
Faith
Lutheran
ElizabethHope said:
I'm a new Lutheran, and love Halloween, I just think it's a fun excuse to get all dressed up and be silly (even though I'm not a little kid anymore). I just had a few questions as to some things in this thread...being a new Lutheran I have no idea what Oct 31 is to a Lutheran or what the LCMS and ELCA are...please explain? Thanks!
Oct 31, 1517, Martin Luther posted the 95 Theses on the door of the church in Wittenberg to propose a debate of abuses in the church. This is seen as the beginning of the Reformation.

ELCA - Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (liberal); largest of Lutheran denomination in US. Background - mergers every 30 years of several smaller bodies.

LCMS - Lutheran Church - MIssouri Synod (conservative); 2nd largest Lutheran denomination in US. primarily German background, established in 1847, with three groups: one in Perry County Missouri, one in Michigan, and one in Illinois.

WELS - Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (conservative); 3rd largest. Primarily German background, formed 1850 (?).

ELS - Evangelical Lutheran Synod (conservative). Primarily Norwegian background, formed in 1917.

Upvote 0

SPALATIN

Lifetime friend of Dr. Luther
May 5, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
✟13,351.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ElizabethHope said:
On October 31, 1517, Martin Luther, in disagreement over the sale of indulgences to fund the Sistine chapel, nailed a huge document to the door of the Castle Church in Wittenburg, Germany. This act was the beginning of what is known to many as the beginning of the Reformation age of the church.

Luther was called to recant his views before a diet (pronounced dee-ut) in Worms, Germany. He could not do so and within four years of that October day he was excommunicated by Pope Leo X and declared an outlaw. He went undercover as Junker (Junker is a German word for Knight) George where he lived at Prince Fredericks castle and took his time to write the whole Bible in German for the common folk.

There is a lot more but this is the how it all began.

Upvote 0

Music4Hym777

Daughter of Christ
Apr 27, 2004
Arizona
✟10,229.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Republican
Okay, time for my input!

I hate Halloween with a passion. I dont celebrate it and when I have kids, they will not celebrate it either. Halloween is not even mentioned around my churches.

University has what is called Oktober Fest which is a huge event and a lot of fun so much good food, but not the required holiday things like Watergate Salad and Lefsa (can you tell I am Norweigian yet?). But they did make sure to have plenty of Ketchup!

Peace has its youth Sunday this Oct 31. So the kids there will be more concerned about making sure that everything is set up and everything so that we can put on a good service then thinking about Halloween.

I do have experience in the Occult and thats why I dont like Halloween at all, because I have seen some of the true stuff that Halloween really is about. (PM me if you want to know more, but it is not appropriate for here)

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Halloween can be traced back to the ancient Celts. One of their two main feasts was Samhain, at the end of Summer, where spirits of the dead and other "creatures" would enter our world from the realms of the dead. The only thing the people coud do to protect themselves was to masquerade as one of the dead and hopefully not be noticed by them. Pumpkins (originaly turnips or beets) were cut with faces representing demons to frighten away evil spirits.

In the 7th century, Pope Boniface IV introduced All Saints' Day to replace the pagan festival of the dead. For Christians, this was the day to remember all the saints who had died. In 834, Gregory III moved All Saint's Day to November 1st. October 31 thus became All Hallows' Eve ('hallow' means 'saint'). In 1517, Martin Luther honored the faithful saints of the past by choosing All Saints Day as the day to publicly charge the Church heirarchy with abandoning biblical faith. This became known as Reformation Day.

I do not think that participating in haloween as it is today has any more ties to the ancient pagan beliefs or occult than it does to honoring the saints in Christ that have passed before us. It is no closer to the ancient pagan festival than some fat dude in a red suit eating stale cookies and warm milk, a red-nosed flying reindeer and a bunch of snowed in elves is to Christiaity. I have no problem letting my kids don an outfit and get candy from our family and friends. I do prefer them not to dress up as demons or witches, however. These are things that are real and cannot be "secularized" out of reality.

I think the best guideline paralell is when Paul speaks about eating food sacrificed to idos in 1 Corinthians 8:4-13:
Therefore concerning the eating of things offered to idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is no other God but one. For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as there are many gods and many lords), yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live.
However, there is not in everyone that knowledge; for some, with consciousness of the idol, until now eat it as a thing offered to an idol; and their conscience, being weak, is defiled. But food does not commend us to God; for neither if we eat are we the better, nor if we do not eat are we the worse.
But beware lest somehow this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to those who are weak. For if anyone sees you who have knowledge eating in an idol's temple, will not the conscience of him who is weak be emboldened to eat those things offered to idols? And because of your knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? But when you thus sin against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.

Upvote 0

SPALATIN

Lifetime friend of Dr. Luther
May 5, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
✟13,351.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
DanHead said:
Halloween can be traced back to the ancient Celts. One of their two main feasts was Samhain, at the end of Summer, where spirits of the dead and other "creatures" would enter our world from the realms of the dead. The only thing the people coud do to protect themselves was to masquerade as one of the dead and hopefully not be noticed by them. Pumpkins (originaly turnips or beets) were cut with faces representing demons to frighten away evil spirits.

In the 7th century, Pope Boniface IV introduced All Saints' Day to replace the pagan festival of the dead. For Christians, this was the day to remember all the saints who had died. In 834, Gregory III moved All Saint's Day to November 1st. October 31 thus became All Hallows' Eve ('hallow' means 'saint'). In 1517, Martin Luther honored the faithful saints of the past by choosing All Saints Day as the day to publicly charge the Church heirarchy with abandoning biblical faith. This became known as Reformation Day.

I do not think that participating in haloween as it is today has any more ties to the ancient pagan beliefs or occult than it does to honoring the saints in Christ that have passed before us. It is no closer to the ancient pagan festival than some fat dude in a red suit eating stale cookies and warm milk, a red-nosed flying reindeer and a bunch of snowed in elves is to Christiaity. I have no problem letting my kids don an outfit and get candy from our family and friends. I do prefer them not to dress up as demons or witches, however. These are things that are real and cannot be "secularized" out of reality.

I think the best guideline paralell is when Paul speaks about eating food sacrificed to idos in 1 Corinthians 8:4-13:
Therefore concerning the eating of things offered to idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is no other God but one. For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as there are many gods and many lords), yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live.
However, there is not in everyone that knowledge; for some, with consciousness of the idol, until now eat it as a thing offered to an idol; and their conscience, being weak, is defiled. But food does not commend us to God; for neither if we eat are we the better, nor if we do not eat are we the worse.
But beware lest somehow this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to those who are weak. For if anyone sees you who have knowledge eating in an idol's temple, will not the conscience of him who is weak be emboldened to eat those things offered to idols? And because of your knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? But when you thus sin against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.
What shall we call it then Modern Day Pagan consumerism?

Upvote 0

sculpturegirl

Aug 26, 2004
Maryland
Visit site
✟1,045.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
LuxPerpetua said:
Awesome pumpkin, Rose!! Tell your hubby and son that they did a fab job on that. :)

I am very anti-candy, so I like more of the harvest celebrations at this time of year with apple cider, pumpkin pies, roasted corn, etc. I kind of waiver over Halloween because of the point the filo brought up. I really doubt that we will allow our kiddos (no kidlets yet, but I'm speaking in theory here) to trick-or-treat because of the candy issue but I do hope there will be some good harvest carnivals where they can dress up and have lots of fun. Heck, I still enjoy a good pillow or cake walk and dressing up in funny costumes. I don't think I will allow our children to focus on the scary side of Halloween-time, although I don't think a few Casper the Friendly Ghost cartoons will hurt much.
Lux- I think you must be my twin! I am anti-candy, too!! Erik and I are still discussing this one :p

Upvote 0

ElizabethHope

Oct 21, 2004
Irvine
✟144.00
Faith
Lutheran
filosofer said:
Oct 31, 1517, Martin Luther posted the 95 Theses on the door of the church in Wittenberg to propose a debate of abuses in the church. This is seen as the beginning of the Reformation.

ELCA - Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (liberal); largest of Lutheran denomination in US. Background - mergers every 30 years of several smaller bodies.

LCMS - Lutheran Church - MIssouri Synod (conservative); 2nd largest Lutheran denomination in US. primarily German background, established in 1847, with three groups: one in Perry County Missouri, one in Michigan, and one in Illinois.

WELS - Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (conservative); 3rd largest. Primarily German background, formed 1850 (?).

ELS - Evangelical Lutheran Synod (conservative). Primarily Norwegian background, formed in 1917.
Thanks for all the info! I love learning new things...hehe

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.