Tennessee
✟66,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
My wife and I joined a LCMS church a few years ago in our city. We had been searching for a little while. I hadn’t really studied Lutheranism, but the more I did and the more we’ve been involved at the church, I’ve never had Christianity “make sense” until Lutheranism.

Fast forward to now, we have a young daughter and another child on the way and we’ve started thinking about Sunday school, nurseries, etc. Here’s where the issue arrises. There are not a lot of children in the church, maybe 6-7 our daughter’s age. The nursery doesn’t seem “safe” like some of the churches we both grew up in (much larger churches). My wife thinks we need to find a new church for the kids’ sake, but I don’t necessarily want to compromise on theology just for the kids to potentially have more friends at church.

Anyone ever face an issue like this? How did you resolve it? Thanks in advance for any guidance, advice.

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are not a lot of children in the church, maybe 6-7 our daughter’s age. The nursery doesn’t seem “safe” like some of the churches we both grew up

Your first option is always to talk to those running the church and the nursery.

It doesn't seem safe is very vague? How is it unsafe, does left open, guns left lying around, known child abusers working there.

Raise your concerns and talk with them and talk about the response.

Upvote 0

TKA_TN

May 23, 2018
Tennessee
✟66,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
That was vague on the safety part, apologies.

There are just 2 women, don’t know how well toys are cleaned and every time we’ve walked by, the women are just talking and not watching the 4-5 kids in there.

Personally, it doesn’t bother me much, but it does bother my wife and if she’s not comfortable, then I’m not comfortable.

Church is opening back up first week of June so we’ll talk with someone then.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are just 2 women, don’t know how well toys are cleaned and every time we’ve walked by, the women are just talking and not watching the 4-5 kids in there.

You don't need to wait untill then, ask who is in charge of the crèche, the name and phone/email of the elder/deacon responsible for it and contact them after your on line church service.
Volunteer to join the rota and to be part of the task force deep cleaning All of the church.

You want to know how often it is planned that the toys, tables, chairs etc will be cleaned.

While you are doing this check out how the other churches are dealing with hygiene following the virus.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟565,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
6-7 kids your daughters' age is a goodly number in a liturgical Protestant church. Consider that having a smaller group of peers could lead to a closer group. Also, larger churches are going to have many procedural elements to plan out over the next year or so to comply with government mandates while being open.

Ultimately, you need to take a little time to self examine. Do you have it in you to be the change you want to see? Do you want to serve while being served?

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
2 adults watching 6-7 kids is under state mandated size limits for daycare...so it should be safe enough if the kids are good enough and the environment is safe.

If you are concerned then take your daughter to service with you. Our church only has 3-4 kids in nursery age, and they mostly do not use the nursery. The congregation is very welcoming to our son (almost 3 years old) being in services. This was one of our requirements of churches, we visited quite a few and the congregants...mostly older...were just not welcoming to a young and possibly noisy child being in the service. We kept trying churches and ended up joining one that is twice as far as two other Lutheran churches, but welcoming to kids. It can be difficult sometimes to have him in service, there is no way he is going to be quiet for an hour or more, but it is OK, and he will grow. It is traditional to have young kids in services, a nursery is almost unheard of in Catholic or Orthodox services.

Upvote 0