Guess what? New Date for earth

speakout

Aug 16, 2007
✟1,541.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Origins: Fourteen Billion Years of Cosmic Evolution (Sept 2005)
Origins explores cosmic science's stunning new insights into the formation and evolution of our universe: of the cosmos, of galaxies and galaxy clusters, of stars within galaxies, of planets that orbit those stars, and of different forms of life that take us back to the first three seconds and forward through three billion years of life on Earth to today's search for life on other planets

I told you were making it up.

Someone told me the earth was definitely 4.5 billion years old.

Now 4.5 billion +- 10.5 Billion (error rate)

That is just whack.

You are making it up.

Naraoia

Apprentice Biologist
Sep 30, 2007
On edge
Visit site
✟15,998.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Origins explores cosmic science's stunning new insights into the formation and evolution of our universe: of the cosmos, of galaxies and galaxy clusters, of stars within galaxies, of planets that orbit those stars, and of different forms of life that take us back to the first three seconds and forward through three billion years of life on Earth to today's search for life on other planets

That is just whack.

You are making it up.
:doh::doh::doh:

That's not serious, is it?

Has anyone told you that earth != universe?

Upvote 0

MattTheAgnostic

Senior Veteran
Aug 23, 2007
✟17,885.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship

That is just whack.

You are making it up.
Congratulations on your findings, you continue to impress us all.

Upvote 0

Daffaforce

Oct 7, 2007
✟15,251.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
So you are saying that you know that the earth came 10 billion years after what?

...after the origin of the universe

When did life begin?

Stop trying to change the subject - if I were you I'd accept your mistake and walk away from this thread before you make a fool out of yourself even more.

Have you noticed how they forgot about dating and they are now using words like roughly.

You know roughly involves billions of years.

While an estimate cannot state the exact age of the universe, "roughly" IS exact to at least a billion.

Upvote 0

Patashu

Veteran
Oct 22, 2007
✟16,793.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
So you are saying that you know that the earth came 10 billion years after what?
After the big bang.

When did life begin?
About 3 billion years ago.

Have you noticed how they forgot about dating and they are now using words like roughly.
Nothing in science can be determined with absolute precision and given an exact number. In fact, a good part of science is not just giving an answer but figuring out, via statistics, how accurate that answer is.
We'll obviously never know exactly how old the universe is down to the year or second but we've determined we're in the ballpark.

Upvote 0

Logic_Fault

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi Ubique
Dec 16, 2004
✟16,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
How technical do you want to get? To put it as simply as possible: The Big Bang.

When did life begin?
3.4 billion or so years ago, as best as we can tell. Of course, it helps if you tell us what you mean by 'life'.

Who's forgetting about dating? The word 'roughly' is used because it's a bit hard to pinpoint precise points in time when you're talking about billions of years in the past. What do you want, a Year/Month/Day/Hour/Minute/Second/Millisecond time frame or something?

Yeah, so? When you're talking about eons of time then 'roughly' can be anything from hundreds of thousands to billions of years. It all depends on how accurate you need to be. If I say I was born 'roughly' 30 years ago would I be incorrect? Same thing with scientific dating that doesn't need to be precise; just because it's 'roughly' X number of years in the past doesn't mean the dating is wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

That is just whack.

You are making it up.
You do not know what an "error" is when calculating figures... do you?

You are just whack.

Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

That is just whack.

You are making it up.
It's all the math. Evolution needs more time.

Upvote 0

atomweaver

Nov 3, 2006
"Flat Raccoon", Connecticut
✟10,391.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat

When did life begin?

For someone who has argued that they know evolution is false, there are some startling gaps in your knowledge of the topic. Take a hint from AVVET1611; he knows that evolution and abiogenesis (and cosmology) are different things. You should know this too...

Who are "they"? You haven't linked your source...

In your head, maybe. A read of just the first two sentences of the most mundanely common source for information on the web shows that you're making that up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_the_universe

The age of the universe, in physics, is the time elapsed between the Big Bang and the present day. Current observations suggest that this is about 13.7 billion years, with an uncertainty of about 200 million years.[1]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The OP is clearly a car carrying member of the EAC.

Who else would work so diligently to discredit the creationists.

'fess up Speakout! Who are you?
I don't remember any new recruitment in the newsletter. Is there a rouge EAC member handing out cards?

Upvote 0