GT posters are -

Please answer about age, role and Bible reading.

• I am between 20 and 30

• I am between 30 and 40

• I am between 40 and 50

• I am between 50 and 60

• I am over 60

• I am a minister ( active/inactive, pastor, asst pastor, evangelist or missionary)

• I am a layman class teacher at church or Bible study.

• I am just a layman (not in a leadership role)

• I have read the complete Bible like one reads a novel.

• I have not read the eintire Bible.

Results are only viewable after voting.

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Options are too undefined in terms of "minister"...

I'm 30 years old who has read the Bible (Septuagint/Early Christian Canon including 4th Maccabees and what is often called "2nd Esdras" [really 3rd going by the Greek counting] which are non-canonical). I am a lay minister who teaches Christian Education and heads the Acolyte Guild. I do not have actual Holy Orders and am therefore not a member of clergy.

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Options are too undefined in terms of "minister"...

I'm 30 years old who has read the Bible (Septuagint/Early Christian Canon including 4th Maccabees and what is often called "2nd Esdras" [really 3rd going by the Greek counting] which are non-canonical). I am a lay minister who teaches Christian Education and heads the Acolyte Guild. I do not have actual Holy Orders and am therefore not a member of clergy.
Interesting response.

I think I unserstand that you actually derive your income from religious acrivity. If that is so I say you fall into the minister class for the purpose of the poll.

I'm not from the orthodox mind set and didn't think of their labeling systems. Sorry. So what officially are they?

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hi listed,

You might also want to add some further options for bible reading. I have read the bible through, but I can't say I've done it like a novel. I don't generally read a novel in small bits and then get out pen and paper and other study guides and material to check if my understanding might be correct. I've also never begun my reading of a novel with requests through prayer of wisdom and understanding by God's Holy Spirit.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Interesting response.

I think I unserstand that you actually derive your income from religious acrivity. If that is so I say you fall into the minister class for the purpose of the poll.

Not all ministers do.

Ordained clergy do in Apostolic churches as well as those in mainline Protestant denominations and, I believe, most major or big name Evangelical Protestant denominations as well. However, each defines a minister differently.

I'm not from the orthodox mind set and didn't think of their labeling systems. Sorry. So what officially are they?

Depends on who you ask. The minor orders are clergy but are not sacerdotal (not deacons, priests, or bishops). Lay people like myself can have licenses to preach, teach, or be chalice bearers, which are all recognized ministries, but are not ordained. Then there is the fact that Apostolic Christians like myself hold to the doctrine that all people are ministers ("priesthood" [really, "hierarchy"] of all believers").

So, as I said, it is a vague title.

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
hi listed,

You might also want to add some further options for bible reading. I have read the bible through, but I can't say I've done it like a novel. I don't generally read a novel in small bits and then get out pen and paper and other study guides and material to check if my understanding might be correct. I've also never begun my reading of a novel with requests through prayer of wisdom and understanding by God's Holy Spirit.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted
Thanks Ted.

One is limited in how many poll questions can be asked. I maxed them out. May be I should have made 2 seperate threads and polls.

What I'm trying to get at or away from is those who read a verse here and a verse there such as a daily devotional or a Bible lesson claiming they have read the Bible. I'm really not asking if one has read the Bible completely within a month or so. I'm not asking if one studies a novel or if they haven't studied the Bible.

I'm not asking about what someone understands about or because of the Bible. I'm not asking about whether or not you want God to show and instruct you either. Or if you're reading only for instruction.

If you have a single sentence suggestion to get what I'm trying to get from people, I sure would appreaciate it.

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Not all ministers do.

Ordained clergy do in Apostolic churches as well as those in mainline Protestant denominations and, I believe, most major or big name Evangelical Protestant denominations as well. However, each defines a minister differently.

Depends on who you ask. The minor orders are clergy but are not sacerdotal (not deacons, priests, or bishops). Lay people like myself can have licenses to preach, teach, or be chalice bearers, which are all recognized ministries, but are not ordained. Then there is the fact that Apostolic Christians like myself hold to the doctrine that all people are ministers ("priesthood" [really, "hierarchy"] of all believers").

So, as I said, it is a vague title.
Thanks. I really am not interested in discussing what constitutes a minister/priest/preistess/Apostle/pastor. Most here would consider their preacher (whoever directs church functions and gives the sermon/speech or what ever else one wants to call it would be considered their pastor (clergyman). I'm going for the general idea here.

Upvote 0

Simon Belmont

Vampire Hunter
Feb 25, 2012
USA
✟7,769.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm 30, I've read the entire Bible through a couple times, and I used to be a missionary (in a different church). I've also been a Bible study leader (more like organizer and occasional teacher). I'm in a layman phase at the moment.

I guess I'm just a plain old Christian who is open to serving in various ways as the Lord directs me. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm almost 32 and I'm not a minister or part of the clergy of any church.

I don't know if it's just me but it seems like most people I bump into are around 30 years of age in GT. I wonder what's up with that age group.
It is interesting that so far the voters are almost evenly split at 40. One of my ideas is there is a difference of theology between the older crowd and the younger crowd. I see this appeal in churches as well. They don't understand they are driving the older people out who will support the local church. It is about numbers only and not peoples soul or the truth. Very sad indeed.

Upvote 0

HisKid1973

Thank You Jesus For Interceding For Me
Mar 29, 2005
Chocolate Town USA
✟15,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm 30, I've read the entire Bible through a couple times, and I used to be a missionary (in a different church). I've also been a Bible study leader (more like organizer and occasional teacher). I'm in a layman phase at the moment.

I guess I'm just a plain old Christian who is open to serving in various ways as the Lord directs me. :)

I'm a bit over double this young brother but I would write about the same.
I did a lot of various mission/ministry work. Haiti being the furthest.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I chose minister, I'm exploring the possibility of seminary and such, since I have a passion for teaching and theology, but I'm a long way off from completion. I've also spent time in Uganda and Mexico for missions work. I didn't check off either of the bible options because I have read it all the way through but not like a novel... I've bounced around out of order for the last 20 years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,319.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am a 50 year old lay woman, so obviously I'm 40-50 rather than 50-60. ;)

I am a lay preacher, not ordained, have been preaching for 9 years, and fully accredited for 41/2 I have read all the NT and a lot of the Old.

Upvote 0

Keachian

On Sabbatical
Feb 3, 2010
Horse-lie-down
Visit site
✟23,842.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'm a 23 year old lay teacher, probably need to do more study, but I've read the Bible at least once and plan on doing some missional work in the near future, I would like to get degrees in theology but currently have no plans on ordination or full time ministry

Upvote 0

God's Word

Feb 18, 2011
In this world, but not of it.
✟3,181.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I, too, recently turned 50. I've read the entire Bible, prayerfully, many times and I've also done open air street preaching, taught adult Bible studies (one turned into a church, although I cannot say that I'm the least bit affiliated with it now, nor that I want to be) and taught chidren's Sunday school.

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I am a 50 year old lay woman, so obviously I'm 40-50 rather than 50-60. ;)

I am a lay preacher, not ordained, have been preaching for 9 years, and fully accredited for 41/2 I have read all the NT and a lot of the Old.
Thank you. I guess I should have made the age brackets 40 to 50 and 51-60 etc.

Upvote 0