Not open for further replies.

LuxPerpetua

I am, therefore I love
Feb 7, 2004
Ohio
✟8,922.00
Faith
Lutheran
Usually, I enjoy watching EWTN. I have a soft spot for the RCC, and in general I think most of the teachings of the RCC now post-Vatican II are pretty spot on in some regard, but I have recently had some bad experiences. It seems like for some reason lately all non-Catholic Christians are portrayed as having the same beliefs in spite of denominational differences--we are simply those poor, misled, non-sacramental, holy-rolling, Bible-beating, non-Catholics. On Mother Angelica the other day she said that she felt sorry for "Protestants" because they believe in OSAS and that means that they think they can just do whatever they want and get into heaven. Well, first off, I don't think that most Protestants believe OSAS. Secondly, in my own personal experience, some of the most God-loving, dedicated, first-rate Christians that I've ever known have been evangelical Protestants who believed in OSAS. Maybe it's just been my bad fortune, but I've never met a Catholic in real life who was truly in love with the Lord and lived out the teachings of their faith, so it really irked me when she acted like Protestants in general just believe that sin isn't a big deal and that we think it's okay to defy God's will and live anyway that we want. (This is certainly not saying that even most Catholics are this way, but this has just been my own *personal* experience.) Well, to top everything off, today on Mother Angelica, she had a priest on there who was talking about his experiences in Protestant churches and he stated how every time he passes by a Protestant church he just feels so sad because they don't believe in Christ's presence in the Eucharist, and I'm thinking, "ummm, what??!" I don't mind educated disagreement, but I just think it's silly for someone to speak about things they don't even have a thorough understanding of, ya know?! GRRR!!! :mad: On the upside, he did say that Lutherans have better tasting strawberries than Catholics. :p

And be forewarned--EWTN is going to be talking about the evils of the Lutheran church come September. Ugh. I really wish we had a Lutheran channel on TV. :sigh:

ByzantineDixie

Handmaid of God, Mary
Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
✟11,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The problem is if we had our own Lutheran TV station we would be saying things that offended everyone else too…and we would be doing it for what we believed were all the right motives…to get the listeners on the right path; the path to faith and the path that would help keep their faith from being jeopardized. Same as them.

I have a soft spot for RCCers too, since I was one for longer than I have been Lutheran and since much of my family remains RCC today. Their pity (poor protestants) irritates me but their concern does not—as we share the same concern for them. It just seems hard to share that concern in a way that doesn’t seem to tear the other group down.

Thanks for warning me about Lutheran month on EWTN…I don’t know whether to try to watch it and learn the distortions they must have about Luther and Lutherans so that I will understand how better to communicate with RCCers or to just avoid it so I do not get angry. The first seems more productive but the latter may keep me from hospitalization for a cardiac episode!
wink.gif

Peace

Rose

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Bradford said:
Just a side note, the RCC believes, since we don't maintain a valid Apostolic Sucession, that Christ is NOT present in our Eucharist.
Because we all know it is the power of the Shaman... er... Priest that makes Christ present, not God Himself! :D

Ooo, Powerful magic! :liturgy:

Upvote 0

ByzantineDixie

Handmaid of God, Mary
Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
✟11,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, since you have already gone down the path....let me throw this out...the origin of the words Hocus Pocus. :D

some unreliable source on the web said:
Hocus-pocus has been around since the early 17th century. The Oxford English Dictionary tells of a conjurer called Hocus-Pocus who used the phrase as part of a faux-Latin incantation during his act: "Hocus pocus, tontus talontus, vade celeriter jubeo." It's been plausibly suggested that hocus-pocus is a corruption of the genuine Latin words hoc est enim corpus meum, "for this is my body," spoken during the consecration of the Roman Catholic Mass when the wine and wafer are said to be transformed into the body and blood of Christ. Some experts, presumably non-Catholic, think hocus-pocus itself was then corrupted into the word hoax.
Of course, there are others who deny this is the origin...presumably Catholics. ;) However, it does remind my of my youth when during the litany instead of chanting the ora pro nobis response we used to sing "more rotton donuts". Hey, we were kids!

Just havin' a little fun. Love my RCC brothers and sisters.

Rose

Upvote 0

LuxPerpetua

I am, therefore I love
Feb 7, 2004
Ohio
✟8,922.00
Faith
Lutheran
Luthers Rose said:
The problem is if we had our own Lutheran TV station we would be saying things that offended everyone else too…and we would be doing it for what we believed were all the right motives…to get the listeners on the right path; the path to faith and the path that would help keep their faith from being jeopardized. Same as them.

I have a soft spot for RCCers too, since I was one for longer than I have been Lutheran and since much of my family remains RCC today. Their pity (poor protestants) irritates me but their concern does not—as we share the same concern for them. It just seems hard to share that concern in a way that doesn’t seem to tear the other group down.

As always, Luther's Rose, you have a great way of putting things into perspective: we are definitely all working toward the same end in our own way. After that loving dose of Christian medicine, I'm definitely feeling better. Ya know, perspective is a hard thing to keep sometimes. It must be slippery.

Upvote 0

Flipper

Flippant Dolphin
Feb 19, 2003
✟12,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I looked at the EWTN website to see if there was an e-mail address, messageboard, or something where a Lutheran could come on and explain ourselves. I didn't see anything, and I think that is just as well, thinking about what Rose said. They probably purposely don't have something like that because of people like us who want to go on there and "set them right."

Upvote 0

netgenius2

Aug 17, 2004
NW Corner of Colorado
✟329.00
Faith
Lutheran
LuxPerpetua said:
Usually, I enjoy watching EWTN. I have a soft spot for the RCC, ... speak about things they don't even have a thorough understanding of, ya know?! GRRR!!! :mad: On the upside, he did say that Lutherans have better tasting strawberries than Catholics. :p
You go girl.
thumbsup.gif

Upvote 0

netgenius2

Aug 17, 2004
NW Corner of Colorado
✟329.00
Faith
Lutheran
DanHead said:
Because we all know it is the power of the Shaman... er... Priest that makes Christ present, not God Himself! :D

Ooo, Powerful magic! :liturgy:
Actually, the Episcopalians have the same doctrine of Apostolic, can't remember the exact word - it means passing on by the laying on of hands through a direct line from the Christ.

What is really wierd is that the Lutheran church, as a denomination, is older than the Episcopal denomination.

I kind of thought that the Holy Spirit empowered the clergy, not another human being.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SPALATIN

Lifetime friend of Dr. Luther
May 5, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
✟13,351.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
netgenius2 said:
Actually, the Episcopalians have the same doctrine of Apostolic, can't remember the exact word - it means passing on by the laying on of hands through a direct line from the Christ.

What is really wierd is that the Lutheran church, as a denomination, is older than the Episcopal denomination.

I kind of thought that the Holy Spirit empowered the clergy, not another human being.
You mean the "Episcopate" Most everywhere in the world Episcopalians are known as Anglicans. That church broke off from the Catholic church right after Henry the VIII died. His first daughter Mary wanted to keep England catholic but was overthrown by the Protestants who eventually made Mary's half-sister Elizabeth the leader of the country and church.

Upvote 0

LuxPerpetua

I am, therefore I love
Feb 7, 2004
Ohio
✟8,922.00
Faith
Lutheran
netgenius2 said:

Are you thinking of apostolic succession maybe?

netgenius2 said:

Agreed. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.