✟1,357,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Summary 2 Peter 3:1-16

This is talking about the prophecies of Scripture regarding these last days before the return of Christ and of his coming again one day. One day this world as we now know it is going to be totally destroyed by fire, including the ungodly of this world (including many who profess faith in Christ, but not in truth). But this has not yet happened because our Lord is patient toward all people, not wishing (or willing) that any should perish, but that all should reach (or come to) repentance (2 Peter 3:9).

And then it speaks of how the day of the Lord will come like a thief and all these things are going to be destroyed (dissolved by fire). Thus we need to be people of God who are living holy lives, pleasing to God, while we wait for our Lord’s return (see Titus 2:11-14). But we who trust in Jesus Christ to be Lord (Owner-Master) and Savior of our lives are waiting and are looking forward to the new heaven and the new earth in which righteousness dwells. For that is going to be wonderful to live where sin no longer dwells.

2 Peter 3:17-18 ESV

“You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, take care that you are not carried away with the error of lawless people and lose your own stability. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.”

So, why do we have so many warnings in the New Testament to the church, to professers of faith in Jesus Christ, with regard to how we live our lives, especially in relationship to our Lord’s return and to judgment? It is because we are all going to be judged by God one day according to our works, so our works matter with regard to where we end up for eternity. For we can make all the professions of faith in Jesus Christ that we want and still end up in hell if we do not surrender our lives to him and follow him in his ways.

It is what the Scriptures teach.

Judged by God according to our works: [Matt 7:21-23; Lu 9:23-26; Jn 6:35-58; Jn 15:1-11; Rom 1:18-32; Rom 2:6-8; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-14; 1 Co 6:9-10; 2 Co 5:10; Gal 5:16-21; Gal 6:7-8; Eph 5:3-6; Col 1:21-23; Col 3:5-11; 1 Jn 1:5-10; 1 Jn 2:3-6; 1 Jn 3:4-10; Heb 10:23-31; 1 Co 10:1-22; Heb 3:1-19; Heb 4:1-13; 1 Pet 1:17-21; Rev 21:8,27; Rev 22:14-15]

So, we need to be people of God who take these warnings and these exhortations seriously. For we can’t just verbalize a profession of faith in Jesus Christ and then expect that all our sins are forgiven and now heaven is guaranteed us when we die, but regardless of how we live. How we live matters for eternity. For if sin is what we practice, and if righteousness, godliness, holiness, and obedience to our Lord are not what we practice, according to the Scriptures, we will not inherit eternal life with God.

And then we need to be growing in the grace of our Lord in our walks of faith in Jesus Christ. For God’s grace, which is bringing us salvation, instructs (teaches, trains) us to renounce (say “No!” to) ungodliness and worldly and fleshly passions and desires, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives while we wait for our Lord’s return. For Jesus Christ “gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works” (see Titus 2:11-14).

Video Talk:
Caution: This link may contain ads

Songs in the Night

An Original Work / December 18, 2013

“About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them.” Acts 16:25 NIV ‘84

Lord, I praise You forevermore.
You, my Savior, I now adore.
Hope in heaven awaiting me,
Because You died at Calvary.

I have been forgiven,
And I’m bound for heaven.
Jesus set me free from
All my sin, I say.
I will praise Him always!

Lord, I love You for all You’ve done:
Overcame death, my vict’ry won!
Jesus saved me, and now I’m free!
I rejoice in His love for me.

I will walk in vict’ry!
My sin is but hist’ry!
I am free to please Him
With my life today.
I will love Him always!

Lord, I thank You for giving me
A new life bought at Calvary.
Loving Jesus, I meet with Him.
Tender mercies now flow within.

Lord, I am so thankful;
Through my Lord, I’m able
To sit at His table;
Fellowship with Him.
I will thank Him always!

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,357,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Enjoyed this devotion.
Now for those of us that don't know how to grow in grace..
Could you please explain?
May The LORD Bless You and Keep You
"For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, 12 training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, 13 waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, 14 who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works." Titus 2:11-14 ESV

"And he said to all, 'If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. 24 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. 25 For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself? 26 For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.'" Luke 9:23-26 ESV

"Now this I say and testify in the Lord, that you must no longer walk as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their minds. 18 They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, due to their hardness of heart. 19 They have become callous and have given themselves up to sensuality, greedy to practice every kind of impurity. 20 But that is not the way you learned Christ!— 21 assuming that you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus, 22 to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, 23 and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, 24 and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness." Ephesians 4:17-24 ESV

Upvote 0