Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A gun rights group filed a notice Wednesday that it will appeal a federal judge's dismissal of a suit challenging a state law banning weapons in churches, mosques and synagogues.

John Monroe, the attorney for GeorgiaCarry.org, filed a notice that he plans to ask the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to review U.S. District Judge Ashley Royal's decision. Royal ruled Monday that a 2010 law that lists places of worship among locations where guns are not allowed did not violate the First Amendment right to freedom of religion or the Second Amendment guarantee of a right to bear arms.

The lawsuit -- brought by GeorgiaCarry.org, the organization's past president and the minister at the Baptist Tabernacle of Thomaston -- challenged the inclusion of places of worship on a list of places where guns are not allowed -- government buildings, courthouses, jails and prisons, state mental hospitals, nuclear power plants, bars without the owner’s permission and polling places.

The suit called the handgun "the quintessential self-defense weapon in the United States." Former GeorgiaCarry.org president Ed Stone and other worshipers argued that they should be able to arm themselves "for the protection of their families and themselves" without fear of arrest and prosecution on a misdemeanor charge. The Rev. Jonathan Wilkins of the Baptist Tabernacle said he wanted to have a gun for his protection while working in his church office.

The church claimed members' efforts to practice their faith had been “impermissibly burdened” because they felt they needed to be armed but feared being arrested if they brought their guns to services.

And Stone wrote in a filing that his “motivation to carry a firearm as a matter of habit derives from one of my Lord's last recorded statements at the ‘last supper,’ that ‘whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one ... I believe that this injunction requires me to obtain, keep and carry a firearm wherever I happen to be.”

Continued- http://www.ajc.com/news/group-to-appeal-ruling-815301.html

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,140,394.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh, why don't they just bide their time?

If a Republican President gets into office, he can appoint some more "pro-life" judges--and we'll have guns in churches, schools, perpetual adoration chapels, funeral homes, cemeteries, shrines--everywhere.

Cause that's what pro-life judges do--declaring open season on everyone who is in the unfortunate path of these lunatics.

Upvote 0

Sphinx777

Nov 24, 2007
Bibliotheca Alexandrina
✟10,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

22-52gun.jpeg

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,140,394.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am astonished to read that Americans take guns into church .

You are a sick country .

QFT

The sickest thing about this, Rawson, is that gun owners feel that their carrying deadly weapons to kill people they feel threatened by, never considering that they may make an error in judgment, aim into a crowd and kill innocent people, etc. is perfectly consistent with the pro-life position.

I first encountered this bizarre and preposterous position when my baby was in a Lutheran preschool in Missouri. They gave parents a questionnaire put out by the Christian Coalition (the one that's located in Virginia--I'm not sure that's the right name.) I was reading through, looking at the questions, "Do you agree with?" and agreed with almost everything. And then all of a sudden they started putting in all these questions about guns (I had only been out of NY a few years at that time, and had not yet encountered much of the lunatic fringe.)

I was horrified, of course, that they would try to tie 'weapons of individual destruction' with pro-life causes.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If you carry a gun, you're not pro-life. I have voted for many Democrats, true, because in my heart of hearts I think that defending the succeeding 80 years is as important as the first nine months, but I would never, ever, ever, ever own a gun or physically harm another human being.

I'm too pro-life for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Naomi4Christ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChristoEtEcclesiae

Nov 21, 2010
✟1,727.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
QFT

The sickest thing about this, Rawson, is that gun owners feel that their carrying deadly weapons to kill people they feel threatened by, never considering that they may make an error in judgment, aim into a crowd and kill innocent people, etc. is perfectly consistent with the pro-life position.

I first encountered this bizarre and preposterous position when my baby was in a Lutheran preschool in Missouri. They gave parents a questionnaire put out by the Christian Coalition (the one that's located in Virginia--I'm not sure that's the right name.) I was reading through, looking at the questions, "Do you agree with?" and agreed with almost everything. And then all of a sudden they started putting in all these questions about guns (I had only been out of NY a few years at that time, and had not yet encountered much of the lunatic fringe.)

I was horrified, of course, that they would try to tie 'weapons of individual destruction' with pro-life causes.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If you carry a gun, you're not pro-life. I have voted for many Democrats, true, because in my heart of hearts I think that defending the succeeding 80 years is as important as the first nine months, but I would never, ever, ever, ever own a gun or physically harm another human being.

I'm too pro-life for that.

Guns can be used for defense. Is it not pro-life to defend others with something like a gun?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

You are a sick country .
Why?----I've seen a Filipino priest tote a Kalashnikov to Mass in the Philippines.

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You can't were a rainbow button on your lapel and receive communion,....
Actively advocating for union that promotes fornication, sodomy, and an intrinsic-disordered way of life is contrariwise to the teachings of the Holy Roman Church.
but you can wear Browning 9mm automatic with a 35 round mag under your lapel and still get communion if you want it.
Affirming publicly the right to self-defense isn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

semper_virens

somewhere you've never heard of
Aug 26, 2010
✟15,793.00
Faith
Christian

You are a sick country .

Because of something that less than a percent of a percent do, the whole country is sick... The anti-American stuff is getting old.

I've lived in the UK and the holier than thou attitude folks from there on these boards is completely unfounded.

Upvote 0

SemperFidelis

Mean, angry Traditionalist
Jul 30, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟9,082.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
Maybe because I'm not American, I just don't understand the mentality, but why would anyone want to take a gun into Church?

I mean, let's leave aside the far out scenarios of anti-Catholic mobs storming Churches to take our kids away and raise them as non-Catholic - what reason would someone have to take a weapon of any sort into a Church? For those of you who support allowing guns in Church, have you ever had a realistic reason to believe your safety or the safety of others was in such danger in Church that you needed a firearm?

I'm not taking sides here, I'm just interested to understand the mentality here, comeing from a country like Australia where carrying a weapon in public, let alone takin one into somewhere like a Church is just not a question.

Blessings,
:crossrc:
Steve

Upvote 0