Macedonia
Visit site
✟10,534.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Hello all,

Just thought I'd post a friendly greeting from beautiful and mountainous Macedonia. After doing a search, I think there's only 2 CF members from this country, but I have enjoyed living here these four years. People are very friendly and hospitable. Food has generally avoided the price hikes of other places in Europe, partly because it's all locally grown, and I'd say the food is the best part of living here! Such fresh vegetables. Happy summer everyone. Enjoy the sun and visit if you have the chance. Anyone ever passed through?

Blessings

Reactions: MrFreshdew

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi Once,
I'm not from Macedonia, but I'll be nearby soon, on a trip.

I've been wondering what the Christian situation is like over there. Where I'm going, most people are ethnic Muslim and Orthodox. But from what I read, they are more passionate about the ethnic associations with the religions than the beliefs themselves. Is that the sense you get in Macedonia?

I wonder, because if I visit churches, I don't want to make a major faux pas, a political statement by walking in controversial doors.

Feel free to PM... I think I'd rather not make public slip-ups.

Upvote 0

OnceDust

Let go and let God
Sep 6, 2003
Macedonia
Visit site
✟10,534.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Hi Once,
I'm not from Macedonia, but I'll be nearby soon, on a trip.

I've been wondering what the Christian situation is like over there. Where I'm going, most people are ethnic Muslim and Orthodox. But from what I read, they are more passionate about the ethnic associations with the religions than the beliefs themselves. Is that the sense you get in Macedonia?

I wonder, because if I visit churches, I don't want to make a major faux pas, a political statement by walking in controversial doors.

Feel free to PM... I think I'd rather not make public slip-ups.

Dear heron,

I don't think you have anything to worry about. The only thing about walking into a religious building, no matter what it is, keep your shoulders covered and wear long pants. Mosques sometimes require head covering, and you have to remove your shoes, but I don't see many women in the mosque or wearing head scarves for that matter. I have been invited to several prayer meetings at the mosque and have been inside many churches during thier Sunday liturgy.

About the churches, you don't have to worry about making a political statement by going inside one. Indeed, I had several muslim students come with me on a field trip to visit a Monestary, and, technically, a muslim is forbidden to enter a Christain establishment of anytime. I think you'll find the religious beliefs are fairly relaxed, and although many identify themselves as Muslim or Orthodox, the only practice they adhere to is the holiday celebrations and fastings. As a tourist, they welcome you inside, and if you want to see a liturgy service, feel free to go on a Sunday. Some churches have liturgy for several hours, and you must stand, not sit. Others have several services every half hour from 7:30 to 9:30 AM. Most churches are open all day Sunday, and if you want to avoid the croud, go later in the day. No pictures inside please--or ASK first, but take all you want outside. The more famous churches and monestaries are open all week.

A good website for churches with historic and beatiful Frescos is here:

http://www.exploringmacedonia.com/

Go to Arts and culture at the left menu. The Painted Mosque in Tetovo is not listed, but is very nice, if you want to visit one. Have fun, and let me know if you have any other questions.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

Remco

Sep 20, 2008
✟15,145.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Hello all,

Just thought I'd post a friendly greeting from beautiful and mountainous Macedonia. After doing a search, I think there's only 2 CF members from this country, but I have enjoyed living here these four years. People are very friendly and hospitable. Food has generally avoided the price hikes of other places in Europe, partly because it's all locally grown, and I'd say the food is the best part of living here! Such fresh vegetables. Happy summer everyone. Enjoy the sun and visit if you have the chance. Anyone ever passed through?

Blessings
Summer? What is that? We have had no summer here in the Netherlands this year! (Always cloudy, not really warm, often raining.) :(
Only because I have been in the south of Spain in september of this year, I got an impression of what summer is. A short impression: only one small week.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
OnceDust, thank you for all the tips! Especially the timing of services.

The site-- the Rosetta Stone was Macedonian! That's monumental.
People suggested I visit Skopje -- now I see why. It's beautiful, and offers so much to see and explore.

Hoi Remco, I hope the Netherlands makes up for all that rain with a warm winter.

Upvote 0

OnceDust

Let go and let God
Sep 6, 2003
Macedonia
Visit site
✟10,534.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
The site-- the Rosetta Stone was Macedonian! That's monumental.

Well, jury's still out on that. More research in linguistics is needed. But, for the origin of the modern Macedonian language, might I suggest Ohrid, the city of 365 churches, one for every day of the year, along the beautiful lake of the same name. There, scholars and missionaries St. Cyril and Methodius from Thessaloniki created the written language of the Macedonian people so a translation of the Bible into Slavic was possible. Later, students to the Saints adapted the alphabet into the modern Cyrillic, nammed after thier teacher. The Cyrillic alphabet is used today by most modern Slavic langauges, including Belarusian, Bulgarian, Macedonian, Russian, Serbian and Ukrainian.

Summer? What is that? We have had no summer here in the Netherlands this year! (Always cloudy, not really warm, often raining.) :(
Only because I have been in the south of Spain in september of this year, I got an impression of what summer is. A short impression: only one small week.

Wow, and when I went to Denmark and Sweden in May/June it was so warm and sunny. They were telling me how rare that is. I'm sorry summer didn't make it to the Netherlands either. The beauty of the fall is one of my favorite times of the year, though.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, jury's still out on that. More research in linguistics is needed. But, for the origin of the modern Macedonian language, might I suggest Ohrid, the city of 365 churches, one for every day of the year, along the beautiful lake of the same name. There, scholars and missionaries St. Cyril and Methodius from Thessaloniki created the written language of the Macedonian people so a translation of the Bible into Slavic was possible. Later, students to the Saints adapted the alphabet into the modern Cyrillic, nammed after thier teacher. The Cyrillic alphabet is used today by most modern Slavic langauges, including Belarusian, Bulgarian, Macedonian, Russian, Serbian and Ukrainian.
Thank you for the history! I noticed that Thessalonika has several good museums... it is useful to know now a little more of what to expect.

Upvote 0

OnceDust

Let go and let God
Sep 6, 2003
Macedonia
Visit site
✟10,534.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for the history! I noticed that Thessalonika has several good museums... it is useful to know now a little more of what to expect.

No problem. Thanks for being interested. By all means, enjoy your visits to Greece and Macedonia. Both have a lot to see and enjoy. There's a daily van that goes to Thessaoniki early in the morning and returns in the evening from the Holiday Inn in Skopje. I think it's about 40ish Euros. Not bad for a round trip, one day excursion.

Blessings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OnceDust

Let go and let God
Sep 6, 2003
Macedonia
Visit site
✟10,534.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
It sounds like a lot of transportation is reasonable around there. Food also.

Food is the cheapest and best thing about Macedonia. Try to find a kilo of tomatos for $.40 anywhere else. And the taste is garden fresh. Everything from the market is right off the fields. My favorite salad is Shopska, mixed tomatos and cucumbers with shreaded white cheese on top.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

OnceDust

Let go and let God
Sep 6, 2003
Macedonia
Visit site
✟10,534.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I heard about Shopska, and am looking forward to it! It sounds like a lot of local foods are similar to things I choose to eat here. But I've been told not to say "feta cheese."
(-:

Feta is more Greek white cheese. The White cheese in Macedonia is called Sirenje (Seerenyey--j's sound like y's, i's like ee) It's sharper and more solid, kinda like a white cheeder, but more crumbly and tasty, like Goat's cheese, which is actually what it is. Most salads are mixed vegtables minus the salad--there's more cabbage-based salads during the winter anyway. You'll find the veggies just have more taste because they are fresh off the fields. Everything is just seasonal, so tomatoes are more expensive in the winter. Best time for food is now, when the harvests have finished and everyone is enjoying fresh produce.

Oh, and if you don't mind drinking, try the local grape brandy called Rakija, usually served with salads (yes, I know that's strange...just how they eat) and most people have home-made or local wines too. Albanians don't or aren't supposed to drink because they are Muslims.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OnceDust

Let go and let God
Sep 6, 2003
Macedonia
Visit site
✟10,534.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Hi Heron,

Sorry Im posting this a month after you posted to me. Funny thing now. Our tables are reversed. As you wrote your last post to me, I was on my way back to the US from Macedonia. I arrived in early June and got a chance to visit Kosovo. I must say, I agree with much of your former comments. The Kosovoans are more conservative than the Macedonians, but life is moving apace. I see a lot of progression and I think the constant NATO presence and troops commit to that. What would happen were the armed forces to leave Kosovo?

I enjoyed my visit over to the Balkans emmencely. It humbled and showed me to appreciate life what I have here. Macedonians are not so lucky but make you feel like a king in thier own country none the less.

Blessings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0