Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It didn't even need to be a gourmet meal. He could had the Olive Garden in Falls Church cater it for not much more money.
Olive Garden Catering | Corporate Events and Special Occasions

Oh come on, Olive Garden is no better than McD’s and at least McD’s is funny. There are tons of good restaurants in DC or Baltimore that could have handled this. Heck, Brian Voltaggio has shut down most of his places - he probably could’ve used the work. Of course, the service wouldn’t have been as good...

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
In the USA 72 percent of adults are overweight or obese. 42 percent are actually Obese.
Worse is that 21 percent of children 10-17 are Obese.

The consumption of calorie-dense foods is one of the major contributors.

The president condoning and promoting the provision of fast food to athletes is the exact opposite of what should be happening.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I really don't get why he didn't have his hotel cater. It would have been a really smart move PR wise.

As I understand it, while he owns the hotel, he rents the space to the restaurants (at least in DC). He doesn't own them. So it would be a big expense to share any PR spotlight with the chef/owner (who would certainly not allow Trump to take all the credit). And the money would not go out of one pocket and into another.

You're right on the whole it would have been a much better move than... what happenned.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
T he Clemson Tigers, fresh off their Jan. 7 victory over Alabama in the College Football Playoff national championship game, arrived Monday for a White House visit with President Donald Trump. The team was served a variety of fast-food items, for which the White House said Trump paid out of his own pocket.

"I think we are going to serve McDonald's, Wendy's and Burger King's with some pizza. I really mean it," Trump had said earlier in the day. "It will be interesting. I would think that's their favorite food. So we'll see what happens."

President Trump serves up a fast-food feast for Clemson Tigers during their White House visit: 'Everything that I like'

950x534

What an interesting simultaneity of the images and real meanings:
McJesus. The debate of Art versus Religious Blasphemy

(some additional thinking from this article on Trump's carefully staged symbolism:
Clemson’s White House Visit Turns Into a Meme - The Atlantic
)

• Winner
Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No doubt they could have.

But the guests were college students; they like fast food.

As athletes at that level (who are typically diligent about watching their macro intakes and are food conscience), it's doubtful...

Like I noted before, they might have it as a cheat meal on occasion (and with how much they work out, it's probably not going to kill them), but let's not pretend that's what they wanted.

For anyone who watched and listened to his little speech before the food was served, it wasn't about giving them what they want or doing something special (My grandpa used to take the entire extended family out for Easter (about 25 people) and he was able to do better than McDonald's and he wasn't a billionaire who owned his own restaurant)

It was about "I'm going to prove about point about this shutdown and that it's the democrats fault, if they didn't shutdown the government, (even though I'm on video saying that I did it and was proud - try to forget that) we could be having something better"

It was a low-brow PR stunt to allow him to take a cheap shot. Listen to what he says on the two videos.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I doubt it's what the team was expecting

Can you imagine future conversations about this? They bring up they've been to an event at the white house, and people look at them with large eyes lit up in suspense. "What did you eat there?"

"McDonald's"
The White House staff is mostly out for the shutdown, I read.

I don't eat fast food. But at least he paid himself, instead of billing us.

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟994,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is pathetic to be served fast food at the White House. Perhaps it's fair to assume that Trump simply didn't want to exert the effort and shell out the cash to pay for a gourmet meal for his guests.

What I really liked was seeing my conservative friends on Facebook earlier this morning posting all these images and stuff giving Trump praise as being some sort of self-sacrificing hero for picking up the tab on this food for his visitors, like "see how kind he's being to these guys who came to visit him in spite of the adversity he's facing right now from those mean Democrat Congressmen? The shutdown is totally their fault, you know."

It was really quite funny. I'm pretty sure in terms of what it cost him that Trump springing for this fast food (yeah, real classy considering this is the White House, by the way) is like a nickel falling out of my jeans pocket unnoticed, if not a penny.

I mean, this is hardly a "bad" thing that Trump did. More just amusing. What bothers me is not him but that the Trump supporters I know were fawning over this like it was some great charitable deed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I really liked was seeing my conservative friends on Facebook earlier this morning posting all these images and stuff giving Trump praise as being some sort of self-sacrificing hero for picking up the tab on this food for his visitors, like "see how kind he's being to these guys who came to visit him in spite of the adversity he's facing right now from those mean Democrat Congressmen? The shutdown is totally their fault, you know."

It was really quite funny. I'm pretty sure in terms of what it cost him that Trump springing for this fast food (yeah, real classy considering this is the White House, by the way) is like a nickel falling out of my jeans pocket unnoticed, if not a penny.

I mean, this is hardly a "bad" thing that Trump did. More just amusing. What bothers me is not him but that the Trump supporters I know were fawning over this like it was some great charitable deed.

I've seen similar sentiment toward Trump from many his supporters too. A lot of his supporters are reacting to him doing this as if he's some kind of saint even though he only paid for cheap fastfood instead of providing a meal that is more befitting of the White House. You would think he was Mother Teresa feeding the poor and destitute the way some of his supporters are fawning over him for buying cheap fastfood to feed a football team. It doesn't make sense to praise him for buying junkfood.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I really don't get why he didn't have his hotel cater. It would have been a really smart move PR wise.
Simply put, I'm just not convinced he's that clever for PR.

But OH to be a fly on the room when this decision was made.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

Fully agreed (especially the part I bolded).

Upvote 0