Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
I liked it, but I think it's getting kind of overhyped.

Also, the use of surround sound is killer. if you have one nearby, go see it in a Dolby Atmos theater.
Cinema Sound Technology - Dolby Atmos
I don't have cable or any kind of tv, so I didn't get any of the hype. I went to see it based on the recommendation of my cousin, who like me, love sci fi.

It's a straight forward movie. Simple plot. Tiny cast. Plain dialog. What's good about this movie is the suspense, thrill, and just being in space. And by "space" I don't mean a fancy starship, weird alien world, or space station. Just a thin skin of metal and insulation between the astronaut and oblivion. And the view of Earth is amazing, as always.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,756.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I don't have cable or any kind of tv, so I didn't get any of the hype. I went to see it based on the recommendation of my cousin, who like me, love sci fi.

It's a straight forward movie. Simple plot. Tiny cast. Plain dialog. What's good about this movie is the suspense, thrill, and just being in space. And by "space" I don't mean a fancy starship, weird alien world, or space station. Just a thin skin of metal and insulation between the astronaut and oblivion. And the view of Earth is amazing, as always.

I've only seen trailers and based on them it seems likely that the science is poor at best. If something goes wrong on an orbiting station you don't start falling. The only difference in trajectory would be from explosive decompression or the like.

So my question, is the science decent?

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
I've only seen trailers and based on them it seems likely that the science is poor at best. If something goes wrong on an orbiting station you don't start falling. The only difference in trajectory would be from explosive decompression or the like.

So my question, is the science decent?
I don't expect decent science in movies...I'm a Star Trek fan.
:D

That said, I've no idea how the science stacks up. I went into this one to be entertained, and I certainly was.

Upvote 0

jannikitty

wise ole owl
Nov 22, 2011
Pacific NW.
✟28,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I expect it will be and it is okay with me if it is more fiction than science. Love to see it in a theater but may have to wait to rent it. I like Sanda Bullock (what a nice comeback from her marriage issue publicity a year or so back) and George Clooney (today's Cary Grant, Tyrone Power, and Farley Granger all in one.) Handsome and intelligent leading man and fascinating actor! :)

Upvote 0

childofdust

May 18, 2010
✟2,177.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
I enjoyed it. After paying good money to see The Hobbit (Part I) and Promethius, and being horribly disappointed by both, I did not feel good going in to see this one. It turned out to be pretty good. The audio design is FANTASTIC. It was a bit too melodramatic at spots...and relied a bit too much on action and disaster...but it did a lot of others things well. I think the 3-D worked for this movie. I haven't seen a lot of 3-D films, but almost every one of them, the 3-D was completely unnecessary. In this film, it helped create a sense of space (snicker), which I liked because it helped me as a viewer understand the isolation of its characters. And it also helped me feel like I was floating (or tumbling) through the cosmos with them.

Upvote 0

EnemyOfReason

May 22, 2013
✟9,335.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Judging from the cast, director and producer I can say this film is not good at all without even looking at it.

Sandra Bullock and Clooney are not exactly talented actors a considering the fact that when they act they act, they are not believable int he slightest. They are among the overpaid Hollywood celeb crew whose paychecks and fame emanate from the stupidity of the average American movie goer who find films like Prometheus and Inception confusing.

Dull intellect and moronic pseudo scientific understanding is the only thing that makes so many flock to see such films.

Gravity has achieved very high ratings as I am seeing on sites like IMBD and Rotten Tomatoes which is a clear indicator it is not worth my time. The higher the rating means the movie was so simplistic it could not bedazzle audiences.

Sorry if I seem cruel here but I will see Gravity when it releases on DVD so I can laugh at its worthlessness as a cinematic achievement.

Movies are not deemed great by popularity polls especially when the popularity primarily comes from people who cannot comprehend basic story plots.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EnemyOfReason

May 22, 2013
✟9,335.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
I enjoyed it. After paying good money to see The Hobbit (Part I) and Promethius, and being horribly disappointed by both

You misspelled Prometheus.

But I did not even take notice of your comment and you said that you disliked Prometheus.

I prophesied that any person who liked Gravity would dislike Prometheus based on the fact they cannot comprehend basic story elements.

You proved me right :D. I apologize but I just find great irony int he fact you mentioned such films when I made a prediction which correlated to your statement.

...Peace out

Upvote 0

childofdust

May 18, 2010
✟2,177.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
You misspelled Prometheus.

But I did not even take notice of your comment and you said that you disliked Prometheus.

I prophesied that any person who liked Gravity would dislike Prometheus based on the fact they cannot comprehend basic story elements.

You proved me right :D. I apologize but I just find great irony int he fact you mentioned such films when I made a prediction which correlated to your statement.

...Peace out

My spelling may not always be great, but your reading comprehension is faulty. And your lack of understanding--of both me, whom you know absolutely NOTHING, and the film Gravity, about which you know equally NOTHING, is horrid. Get a life.

Upvote 0

EnemyOfReason

May 22, 2013
✟9,335.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
My spelling may not always be great, but your reading comprehension is faulty. And your lack of understanding--of both me, whom you know absolutely NOTHING, and the film Gravity, about which you know equally NOTHING, is horrid. Get a life.

You do know that I was not being harsh towards you right? Nor was I judging you nor was I even attempting to mock you. :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EnemyOfReason

May 22, 2013
✟9,335.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ok seen the movie in 3D a few hours ago. Wow, its was amazing! More of a drama, thrilled. Not for those who need constant action or hate dialogue.

A good story is all that is needed, when one provides that then they have reached the peak of cinematic perfectionism ;)

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Reactions: EnemyOfReason
Upvote 0