Graphics Cards are an endangered species...

Dreams65

Mar 13, 2021
Hessen
✟24,115.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A few days ago I upgraded my computer (see here). I also considered upgrading my graphics card, but every online shop here in Germany is either sold out or ridiculously inflating their prices. The reasons? COVID, distribution problems (because of COVID) and the evil Etherium miners. Whatever mid-range cards hit the stores, the Etherium miners gobble them up before you can blink. Some miners are coming from Eastern European countries into Germany to plunder retail shelves. I haven't found an available mid-range card (between 8 to 12 Gb with 256 bit at 14000 to 16000 MHz) for less than 1000 Euros. Similar cards to what I own (a three year old Radeon RX 570 8 GB 256 bit at 7000 MHz) are being sold on Ebay for between 200 and 500 Euros. And most of those were probably in someone's mining machine, which means they have been mercilessly abused and are about to die.

The card I want is an Asus ROG Strix RX 6700 XT OC. The original price for the card was around 550 to 650 Euros, now you won't find it for anything under 1000 Euros. *Sigh*...

I guess I'll just have to wait until next year. Maybe things will chill out enough to find and purchase one at a respectable price.

Last edited:

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You think that's bad inflation look up an RTX 3080 or 3090. They've been out of stock everywhere since they were released last September. An RTX 3080 retails for about $750 US the cheapest you can find them on Ebay (which is literally the only place you can get one) they're over $2,500. A 3090 is even rarer. They retailed for about $1,200. And the sky Is the limit on how much you can pay for one. Most people want over $4,000 for one if you can find it.

I've been trying to get an RTX 3080 since they came out. They literally sold out everywhere in milliseconds It's but a fleeting dream. Not going to pay over $2,500 for a $750 retail card... I'm surprised I paid $800 for a 3060 ti. Dunno why I did,just was desperate for an upgrade I guess.

That being said I have an evga rtx 2060 super literally laying around doing nothing. If you didn't live in Europe I'd just give it to you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HantsUK

Oct 27, 2009
Hampshire, England
✟215,835.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I suspect these shortages are the result of the worldwide shortage of many electronic parts, as a result of the Covid pandemic, and the growth in electric cars. The automotive industry seems to be worst affected, with car manufacturers reducing or suspending production.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/07/chip-shortage-is-starting-to-have-major-real-world-consequences.html

It is not just semiconductors, but all types of electronic components to varying degrees. Lead times are increasing, and in some cases are now over 50 weeks.

Avnet: Quality Electronic Components & Services (lists lead times for various categories of electronic components)

Manufacturers are being asked to place orders for parts 12 months ahead or more, to ensure supply.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Yes even once perfect delivery times are taking weeks because of short staff and limited supply of products.

Right now the GPU market is in really big trouble. It was that way when Intel released its 10th gen processors as well. The first 2-3 months of release it was impossible to get one then intel finally managed to supply its customers but they were undersupplied and understaffed for months.

This will all be fixed once covid finally gets under control. People as we speak are getting vaccinated and the cases are going down. Hopefully by next year our lives can get back to normal.

Upvote 0