Grace - is its meaning different within the denominations and Catholics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Pastor said that our definition of grace is different to the Catholics. Can anyone explain this difference. I didn't know there was a difference or perhaps I'm ignorant. My understanding is that God's grace is freely given and available to those who believe in Jesus. Is this definition correct? does the definition of Grace differ from church to church and why?

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
SVH said:
Our Pastor said that our definition of grace is different to the Catholics. Can anyone explain this difference. I didn't know there was a difference or perhaps I'm ignorant. My understanding is that God's grace is freely given and available to those who believe in Jesus. Is this definition correct? does the definition of Grace differ from church to church and why?
Interesting question. I don't know what denom you are, but in general I think Catholics would accept the definition that you gave above. What your pastor might mean is that Catholics view the role of grace differently than Protestants in the work of salvation. Could that have been it?

Reactions: daveleau
Upvote 0

ChristianMuse

Oct 1, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario
Visit site
✟1,272.00
Faith
Christian
btw... you should refer to "Catholics" as "Roman Catholics". We are all Catholic by definition (the universal church). Roman Catholics are but a branch (a denomination) of the church.

Of course that may be putting to fine a point on the matter... but why should the Roman form have a monopoly on the term Catholic.

Upvote 0
A

Abba

you should refer to "Catholics" as "Roman Catholics".

No you shouldnt. I really dont liek the term "roman"

We are all Catholic by definition (the universal church).

Well then use the little c- catholic. The word Catholic was originally greek and it has come far more than to mean universal, although that is the original definition of the word

Roman Catholics are but a branch (a denomination) of the church.

Ummm...if you see it that way...I dont really think it is...

Of course that may be putting to fine a point on the matter... but why should the Roman form have a monopoly on the term Catholic.

Because that is what it is. The official name is the Catholic Church, not the roman Catholic Church

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
ChristianMuse said:
btw... you should refer to "Catholics" as "Roman Catholics". We are all Catholic by definition (the universal church). Roman Catholics are but a branch (a denomination) of the church.

You'll find that many Catholics find the title "Roman Catholic" offensive. If you want to call yourself catholic, that's fine. Use the small "c." We have always been called Catholic. Just because people broke off and left doesn't mean we lose the right to be called that.

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Grace is God's undeserved favour towards a person , it is almost synonimos with Election.

Arminians believe it is merely God being kind...............and this kindness is often destroyed by men , frustrating God.

In one system grace makes no difference , men do.
but in the Calvinist system , grace makes ALL the difference .........it is selective.

Upvote 0
I don't know what denom you are, but in general I think Catholics would accept the definition that you gave above. What your pastor might mean is that Catholics view the role of grace differently than Protestants in the work of salvation. Could that have been it?

You are right - the role of grace in the work of salvation. I go to a Baptist Church currently, although I call myself a Christian rather than Baptist. My origins are in the catholic church and I still go to Mass with my children with school as they attend a Catholic school. When I became a Christian my understanding was that God freely gives His grace to those who believe. Our salvation comes from God through Jesus Christ who suffered and died on the cross for our sins. Our part is to accept that amazing grace that Jesus freely gave us on that cross, through faith which is an active trust/obedience to God. Is this correct?
Regards, Sam.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
SVH said:
When I became a Christian my understanding was that God freely gives His grace to those who believe. Our salvation comes from God through Jesus Christ who suffered and died on the cross for our sins. Our part is to accept that amazing grace that Jesus freely gave us on that cross, through faith which is an active trust/obedience to God. Is this correct?
Hi Sam,

Yes, what you have said is correct. There are little intricacies to a couple of your arguments which I would expand upon if I were teaching Catholic doctrine, but all in all, we agree - grace is freely given by God, and salvation comes through the merits of Jesus Christ.

Carrie

Upvote 0

frettr00

Finding peace where I am
Aug 10, 2004
✟38,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I guess i'm one of those not offended by "Roman". Anyway, the definition of grace as I see it is a gift from God which helps you to live a deeper more spiritual life and helps us resist sin. An example would be after I come out of confession I feel filled with grace, I feel spiritually clean and have more of a desire to not only pray but make more of an effort to not sin.

Upvote 0

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
ChristianMuse said:
Methinks I touched a Roman Catholic, oops not Roman Catholic, a Catholic, big "C" not little "c", nerve.
To be fair, ChristianMuse, there is a difference between:

Catholic - referring to the one Catholic Church
and
catholic - referring to universal.

It is in the second sense that the Nicene Creed's "believe in one holy catholic and apostolic church" comes from.

Also to be fair, there are more Catholics than just Roman (Latin rite) Catholics. There are several rites of Eastern Catholicism ... a friend of mine is a priest in one of them. So to equate "Catholic" with "Roman Catholic" isn't even accurate.

Upvote 0

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
SVH said:
I don't know what denom you are, but in general I think Catholics would accept the definition that you gave above. What your pastor might mean is that Catholics view the role of grace differently than Protestants in the work of salvation. Could that have been it?

You are right - the role of grace in the work of salvation. I go to a Baptist Church currently, although I call myself a Christian rather than Baptist. My origins are in the catholic church and I still go to Mass with my children with school as they attend a Catholic school. When I became a Christian my understanding was that God freely gives His grace to those who believe. Our salvation comes from God through Jesus Christ who suffered and died on the cross for our sins. Our part is to accept that amazing grace that Jesus freely gave us on that cross, through faith which is an active trust/obedience to God. Is this correct?
Regards, Sam.

It is Catholic teaching that God gives grace to all humankind, however we have the freewill to reject that freely-given grace. It would also be Catholic teaching that faith, itself, is also a grace. Yes, the grace we receive is due to the merits that Jesus earned for us on the cross.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
ChristianMuse said:
Methinks I touched a Roman Catholic, oops not Roman Catholic, a Catholic, big "C" not little "c", nerve.
Feel better now? I hope so... the post wasn't to offend but to teach.

:)
You didn't touch a nerve with me. I'm not one of the Catholics who is offended by the label "Roman." Not every church loyal to the Holy See is of the Roman Rite. Furthermore, to say someone is Roman Universal just makes no sense. I dislike the term because it is inaccurate, not because it offends me. There are many who take offense to it though.

Upvote 0
Feel better now? I hope so... the post wasn't to offend but to teach.

Im not usually offended by the term Roman either, but when someone blatantly goes out of their way to make sure that the word "Roman" is used, Ive got to say something

Upvote 0

Victrixa

Dear Lord have mercy on me!
Mar 23, 2004
Québec, Canada
✟8,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was offended by the 'Roman' comment. But then, I forgive ChristianMuse because I left the Holy Catholic Church for 15 years to become a Fundamentalist Protestant out of ignorance of what the Catholic Church really teaches...

But the Holy Catholic Church is the original Church founded by Our Lord. All the other 'churches' are break offs and in schism.

Grace is favour from God. As Christians, we must remain in that grace and always run to it! In the Church, we have the Sacraments and Tradition, this 'rule of faith' by which we must abide by so as not to err in error. God's grace is found in His everlasting love, the Sacraments, Tradition, the Scriptures.

But grace is free and was given to us at the Cross through Jesus. We must walk in obedience to Christ and His Church so as to remain in His grace.

I wanted to share that.

Fraternally yours,

Caroline

Upvote 0

ChristianMuse

Oct 1, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario
Visit site
✟1,272.00
Faith
Christian
Abba said:
Im not usually offended by the term Roman either, but when someone blatantly goes out of their way to make sure that the word "Roman" is used, Ive got to say something
There was nothing blatant in my act of pointing out the distinction.
I did not go out of my way to do it.

I was raised "Roman Catholic". That distinction was often used in our parish. So if the priests of the parish will sometimes make that distinction how am I at fault making the same distinction? Most said I didn't hit a nerve. It appears I did with you. For that I apologize. I think your remarks about my motive inacurate and midly offensive. Regardless of that...

God bless...

:(

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SVH said:
So what is the difference in meaning of grace/salvation between catholic and other churches such as the Baptist church? It's sounds like my understanding of grace/salvation is not what Baptists believe. Can someone explain this further for me.
Thanks
You primarily asked about grace, but here you add salvation and seems specifically concerned with Baptist v Catholic view. A former lifelong Baptist so perhaps I can answer. Believe most of the disagreement centers on the idea of sanctifying grace (salvation), which we say one's soul must have to be in a state (holy) required to return to the presence of God. In our view one can fall in and out of what we call a "state of grace" which then can effect one's eternal destination.

Many Protestants and I think most (but not all) Baptist believe one gets "sanctification" (saved) by making a decision after which no act of the believer can effect that status (also sometimes called "once saved always saved"). Some Protestants depart slightly from that view and say that a sin against the Holy Spirit could cause one to "loose" salvation, but that it could be regained.(their way of explaining St Paul's "sin unto death"). A few Protestants have views closer to Catholic position.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.