Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Great messages Tom. I always enjoy reading the Gems you share. Thank you Brother. —Pilgrim

Brother, you're most welcome. I enjoy them also.

Reactions: Pilgrim
Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.gracegems.org/

We do not know what we might have been!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"God is our refuge and strength--a very present help in times of trouble." Psalm 46:1

We do not know what we might have been--if God's gracious protection had not been like a wall of fire around us, as it still is--for the Lord continues to deliver all who put their trust in Him.

Believe with unquestioning confidence that God is delivering you even now. You know that He has delivered you--be just as sure that He will continue to help you in every time of trouble.

"I am locked in a prison of despair!" Yes, but your Lord has a key that can open the door and let you out.

"I am in great poverty!" another says. But He knows all about it, and He is going to supply all your needs.

Yet another says, "But I am fainting!" God is near, ready to revive and encourage your fainting soul.

Perhaps a person says, "I find faith for the past and the ultimate future quite easy, but I don't have enough faith for the present." We sometimes forget that God is "a very present help in times of trouble," but it is true.

There may be many trials before you, but there is an abundance of mercy ready to meet those trials. There may be troubles that you do not know yet, as well as repetitions of those you have experienced. But the Lord will give you strength and will continue to deliver you.

As the eyes gradually fail, and the limbs grow weak, and the infirmities of old age creep over us--we are likely to be distressed, but our Lord will not forsake us.

When severe sickness invades our earthly bodies and our pains multiply and intensify--we wonder how we will endure.

As we consider our death--we wonder how we will be able to bear our last hours.

Be encouraged: He who has delivered and does deliver--will continue to deliver.
Even as the trial comes, the Lord will show you a way of escape.

He has delivered you--give Him your gratitude.
He is delivering you--give Him your confidence.
He will deliver you--begin now to praise Him for mercies that He has yet to show you, and for grace that you have not yet experienced but that He will grant you in the future.

"He has delivered us from such a deadly peril--and He will deliver us!" 2 Corinthians 1:10​

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Faith never prospers so well!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that the trial of your faith--of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire--may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed." 1 Peter 1:6-7

Untried faith may be true faith--but it is sure to be little faith, and it is likely to remain dwarfish so long as it is without trials. Faith never prospers so well, as when all things are against her.

When a calm reigns on the sea--you may spread the sails as you will, but the ship will not move to its harbor. Only let the winds rush howling forth--it is then that she makes headway toward her desired haven.

No stars gleam so brightly--as those that glisten in the polar sky,
no water tastes so sweet--as that which springs up amid the desert sand,
and no faith is so precious--as that which lives and triumphs in adversity.

Tried faith brings experience. You could not have believed your own weakness, had you not been compelled to pass through the rivers of difficulty. Just so, you would never have known God's strength, had you not been supported amid the flood-waters. Faith increases in solidity, assurance and intensity--the more it is exercised with tribulation. Faith is precious, and its trial is precious, too.​

Upvote 0

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
between the pages of the Bible.
Visit site
✟192,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

We do not know what we might have been!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"God is our refuge and strength--a very present help in times of trouble." Psalm 46:1

We do not know what we might have been--if God's gracious protection had not been like a wall of fire around us, as it still is--for the Lord continues to deliver all who put their trust in Him.

Believe with unquestioning confidence that God is delivering you even now. You know that He has delivered you--be just as sure that He will continue to help you in every time of trouble.

"I am locked in a prison of despair!" Yes, but your Lord has a key that can open the door and let you out.

"I am in great poverty!" another says. But He knows all about it, and He is going to supply all your needs.

Yet another says, "But I am fainting!" God is near, ready to revive and encourage your fainting soul.

Perhaps a person says, "I find faith for the past and the ultimate future quite easy, but I don't have enough faith for the present." We sometimes forget that God is "a very present help in times of trouble," but it is true.

There may be many trials before you, but there is an abundance of mercy ready to meet those trials. There may be troubles that you do not know yet, as well as repetitions of those you have experienced. But the Lord will give you strength and will continue to deliver you.

As the eyes gradually fail, and the limbs grow weak, and the infirmities of old age creep over us--we are likely to be distressed, but our Lord will not forsake us.

When severe sickness invades our earthly bodies and our pains multiply and intensify--we wonder how we will endure.

As we consider our death--we wonder how we will be able to bear our last hours.

Be encouraged: He who has delivered and does deliver--will continue to deliver.
Even as the trial comes, the Lord will show you a way of escape.

He has delivered you--give Him your gratitude.
He is delivering you--give Him your confidence.
He will deliver you--begin now to praise Him for mercies that He has yet to show you, and for grace that you have not yet experienced but that He will grant you in the future.

"He has delivered us from such a deadly peril--and He will deliver us!" 2 Corinthians 1:10​
I rejoice over the assurance in Psalms 46 that we have a refuge and strength in our Father in Heaven and He calms us with the verse "Be still and know that I am God." God with us. Amen.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

God is our abode, our home!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"The eternal God is your refuge." Deuteronomy 33:27

The word "refuge" may be translated "abiding place"--which gives the thought that God is our abode, our home.

There is a fullness and sweetness in the metaphor, for our home is dear to our hearts--although it may be the humblest cottage or the scantiest garret. But dearer far is our blessed God, who is our eternal refuge.

It is at home that we are safe--here we shut the world out and dwell in quiet security. Just so, God is our shelter and retreat--our abiding refuge.

It is at home that we take our rest--it is there that we find repose after the fatigue and toil of the day. In the same way, our hearts find rest in God when, wearied with life's conflict, we turn to Him, and our soul dwells at ease.

At home, also, we let our hearts loose--we are not afraid of being misunderstood nor of our words being misconstrued. Just so, when we are with God--we can commune freely with Him, laying open all our hidden desires.

Home, too, is the place of our truest and purest happiness. In the same way, it is in God that our hearts find their deepest delight.

"God is our refuge and strength--a very present help in times of trouble!" Psalm 46:1​

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

(Charles Spurgeon)

"Behold the Man!" John 19:5

If there is one place where our Lord Jesus most fully becomes the joy and comfort of His people--it is where He plunged deepest into the depths of woe.

Come, behold the Man in the garden of Gethsemane.
Behold His heart so brimming with love, that He cannot hold it in.
Behold the bloody sweat as it distills from every pore of His body and falls upon the ground.

Behold the Man upon the bloody tree.
Stand amazed as they drive the nails into His hands and feet.
Look up and see the sorrowful image of your suffering Lord.
Mark Him as the ruby drops stand on the thorn crown.
Behold the Man when all His bones are out of joint, and He is poured out like water and brought into the dust of death.
God has forsaken Him--and Hell encompasses Him.

Behold and see--was there ever sorrow like His sorrow?

Gaze upon Him!

We have only to sit longer at the cruel cross--to be less troubled with our trials and woes.

We have but to see His sorrows--and we shall be ashamed to mention our sorrows .

We have but to gaze into His wounds--and heal our own.

If we would grow in grace--it must be by considering His humiliation and His sorrow.
If we would live holily--it must be by the contemplation of His sin-atoning death.​

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

We have need to use this prayer at all times!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"Do not forsake me, O Lord!
O my God, do not be far from me!" Psalm 38:21

We frequently pray that God would not forsake us in the hour of trial and temptation--but we often forget that we have need to use this prayer at all times! There is no moment of our life, however holy, in which we can do without His constant upholding. Whether in light or in darkness, in communion or in temptation--we alike need the prayer: "Do not forsake me, O Lord! O my God, do not be far from me!"

We cannot do without continued aid from above. Let this be then, your daily prayer:

"Father! Do not forsake Your helpless child, lest I fall by the hand of the enemy.

Shepherd! Do not forsake Your wayward lamb, lest I wander from the safety of the fold.

Great Gardener! Do not forsake Your frail plant, lest I wither and die.

Do not forsake me in my joys--lest they absorb my heart.

Do not forsake me in my sorrows--lest I murmur against You.

Do not forsake me--for without You I am as weak as water.

Do not forsake me--for my path is dangerous and full of snares, and I cannot do without Your guidance.

Do not be far from me, O Lord--for trouble is near, and no other can help me.

Do not forsake me, O Lord! O my God, do not be far from me!

Do not leave me or forsake me, O God my Savior--at any moment of my life!"

"Hold me up, and I shall be safe!" Psalm 119:117​

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The spring of true obedience to God!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"This is love: that we walk in obedience to His commands." 2 John 1:6

Love to God is the spring of true obedience to God.

One who is not obedient to His commandments, is evidently not a true believer; for although good works do not save us--yet, being saved, believers are sure to produce good works.

Though the fruit is not the root of the tree--yet a well-rooted tree will, in its season, bring forth its fruits. So, though the keeping of the commandments does not make me a child of God--yet, being a child of God, I shall be obedient to my heavenly Father. But this I cannot be, unless I love God.

A mere external formal obedience--is not sincere obedience in God's sight. He abhors the sacrifice, where the heart is not found. I must obey Him because I love Him--or else I have not truly obeyed at all. See then, that to produce the indispensable fruits of saving faith--there must be sincere love for God.

"If you love Me, you will obey what I command." John 14:15

"Whoever has My commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves Me." John 14:21

"If anyone loves Me, he will obey My teaching." John 14:23

"He who does not love Me will not obey My teaching." John 14:24​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
between the pages of the Bible.
Visit site
✟192,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The Spirit's leading!

("Every Day!" Author unknown, 1872)

"As many as are led by the Spirit of God--they are the sons of God." Romans 8:14

Here is a mark of divine sonship: All who follow the leadings of the Holy Spirit--they are children of God.

The Spirit leads His followers to the looking-glass of Divine truth. Here they discover their spiritual deformity and impurity. Here they see what they are--and what they need.

The Spirit leads them to the throne of grace--and there He helps their infirmities, and makes intercession for them according to the will of God.

The Spirit leads them to the cross! When they see Jesus dying for their sins, atoning for their transgressions--they lose the burden of guilt.

The Spirit leads them in the path of loving obedience--and they experience the blessedness of keeping Christ's commands.

The Spirit leads them in the track of the Good Shepherd--and enables them to hear His voice and to follow Him.

"As many as are led by the Spirit of God--they are the sons of God."

Many, alas! are following the leadings of a very different spirit--"the spirit that works in the children of disobedience!" He leads, by paths of unbelief and sin--to endless misery and ruin! Beloved reader, beware of following his leadings--and prayerfully yield yourself to the guidance of the Spirit of truth and love.

"Show me Your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in You all day long." Psalm 25:4-5

Spirit of Truth, my Leader be,
And seal adoption mine;
Impress Christ's image on my heart,
The pledge of bliss divine!​

Upvote 0

Northbrook

No sé vivir sin Dios
Jul 19, 2018
Chicago
✟39,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
From Grace Gems - Free and Public Domain:
Very Old - But Beautiful and Timeless Treasures.
http://www.gracegems.org/19/literature.htm

Tom wrote:
>>
The Spirit leads them in the path of loving obedience--and they experience the blessedness of keeping Christ's commands [emphasis mine].

Dear Tom,
I think a lot more children would walk in the path of obedience, if they knew there was a blessedness in keeping Christ's commands! Thanks for posting these Grace Gems, Tom. I really benefit from and enjoy reading them. A radio station you might like is "Proclaim!" It is one of the free internet radio stations of the Moody Bible Institute in my home city of Chicago. It has all old-time preachers preaching classic sermons.
Sincerely, Lambrini
Northbrook, IL

Last edited:
Reactions: nChrist
Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From Grace Gems - Free and Public Domain:
Very Old - But Beautiful and Timeless Treasures.
http://www.gracegems.org/19/literature.htm

Tom wrote:
>>
The Spirit leads them in the path of loving obedience--and they experience the blessedness of keeping Christ's commands [emphasis mine].

Dear Tom,
I think a lot more children would walk in the path of obedience, if they knew there was a blessedness in keeping Christ's commands! Thanks for posting these Grace Gems, Tom. I really benefit from and enjoy reading them. A radio station you might like is "Proclaim!" It is one of the free internet radio stations of the Moody Bible Institute in my home city of Chicago. It has all old-time preachers preaching classic sermons.
Sincerely, Lambrini
Northbrook, IL

I'm so happy that you enjoy these. My grandfather was a graduate of the Moody Bible Institute and had many friends there. Granddad mentored many young men going into the ministry, and my father was one of them. Thanks for the information on the radio program.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

They are all gone!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"If you, O Lord, should keep a record of our sins--Lord, who could stand before You?" Psalm 130:3

"I--yes, I alone--will blot out your sins for My own sake, and will never remember them again!" Isaiah 43:25

"You will tread our sins underfoot, and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea!" Micah 7:19

All our transgressions are swept away at once, carried off as by a flood! They are so completely removed from us--that no guilty trace of them remains! They are all gone!

Oh, believers, think of this, for it is no little thing.
Sins against a holy God,
sins against His loving Son,
sins against the Gospel--as well as against the Law,
sins against man--as well as against God,
sins of the body--as well as sins of the mind,
sins as numerous as the sands on the seashore, and as great as the sea itself
--all, all are removed from us--as far as the east is from the west!

All this evil was rolled into one great mass and laid upon Jesus! Having borne it all, He has made an end of it forever. When the Lord forgave us, He forgave us the whole debt. He did not take the bill and say, "I strike out this item, and that item"--but the pen went through it all: Paid in full!

"For as high as the heavens are above the earth--so great is His faithful love toward those who fear Him.
As far as the east is from the west--so far has He removed our transgressions from us!" Psalm 103:11-12

"My sin, oh the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!"
Horatio Spafford​

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

A mark which is always set upon Christ's sheep, and never set upon any others!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

There are some graces which in their vigor are not absolutely essential to the bare existence of spiritual life, though they are very important for its healthy growth. But true love for God must be in the heart--or else there is no grace there whatever. If a man does not love God, then he is not a renewed man. Love for God is a mark which is always set upon Christ's sheep, and never set upon any others.

I have no right, therefore, to believe that I am a regenerated person--unless my heart truly and sincerely loves God. If I have been regenerated, I will not be perfect, but this one thing I can say: "Lord, You know all things. You know that I love You!" When by believing we receive the privilege to become sons of God--we also receive the nature of sons, and with filial love we cry, "Abba, Father!"

There is no exception to this rule! If a man does not sincerely love God--then he is not born of God. As the sun must give forth its light--so must a soul that has been created anew by divine grace, display its nature by earnest affection toward God. You are not born again, unless you love God. Sincere love to God is indispensable!

"If anyone does not love the Lord, he is to be accursed!" 1 Corinthians 16:22​

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

If a lobster loses its claw in a fight

(Charles Spurgeon)

"I will give you a new heart, and put a new spirit in you.
I will remove your heart of stone, and give you a heart of flesh!" Ezekiel 36:26

What a wonder it is, that a man could ever have a new heart!

You know that if a lobster loses its claw in a fight, it may grow a new claw--and that is thought to be quite marvelous.

It would be far more astonishing, if men could be able to grow new arms and new legs.

But who ever heard of a man who grew a new heart?

You may have seen a bough lopped off a tree, and you may have thought that perhaps the tree will sprout again and there will be a new limb. But who ever heard of a wooden fence post getting new sap and a new life?

Yet my Lord and Master, the crucified and exalted Savior--has given His people new hearts, and has and made new creations of them!

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ--he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" 2 Corinthians 5:17

Let us rejoice together in this regenerating Savior!​

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Pay attention and listen to the sayings of the wise--apply your heart to what I teach

(Samuel Clark, "The Saint's Bouquet" 1641)

"Here are some further sayings of the wise." Proverbs 24:23

Sin is . . .
the spawn of the old Serpent,
the source of Hell, and
the vomit of the Devil.

Sin is more hateful to God than the Devil; for God hates the Devil for sin's sake--and not sin for the Devil's sake.

Sin is like a serpent in our bosoms, which cannot live--but by sucking out our life blood.

The godly hate sin--because of sin's defilement.
The ungodly fear sin--because of sin's punishment.

The godly hate sin--because it has filth in it to pollute the soul.
The ungodly fear sin--because it has fire in it to burn the soul.

The deluge of waters which overflowed all the world, washed away many sinners--but not one sin!
The world shall one day be all on fire--yet all that fire, and those flames in Hell which follow--shall not purge one sin!

All the evils in the world serve to give names to sin.
Sin is called poison--and sinners, serpents.
Sin is called vomit--and sinners, dogs.
Sin is called mire--and sinners, sows.
Sin is called darkness, blindness, shame, nakedness, folly, madness, death and whatever is filthy, vile, infective, or painful.

A glutton may fill his belly--but he can never fill his lust.
A covetous man may have his house full of money--but he can never have his heart full of money.
An ambitious man may have titles enough to overload his memory--but never to fill his pride.

The Devil's last stratagem is, if he cannot beat us down to sin--to blow us up with pride.

Nothing will make God's children so pure, as to wash themselves every morning in tears of repentance.

Without sound repentance, sin is not accounted as the greatest evil--nor Christ as the greatest good.

"Pay attention and listen to the sayings of the wise--apply your heart to what I teach." Proverbs 22:17​

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Survey the idols which you are called upon to worship!

(J.A. James, "The Young Man's Friend and Guide Through Life to Immortality")

"If Jehovah is God, follow Him! But if Baal is God, then follow him!" 1 Kings 18:21

There are other Baals in this age, in all the various forms under which they are objects of human idolatry.

It is true that you are not called, invited or disposed--to bow the knee to idols of wood, stone or metal. These, however, are not the only way in which idolatry may be practiced. Everyone has a god, and if man does not love and worship Jehovah, he will make a deity of his own image. Survey the idols which you are called upon to worship:

Among them, sustaining a high place, is the vile idol of SENSUALITY. This goddess is decked out with all that can pollute the imagination, inflame the passions, or excite the evil propensities of the heart. Before this image, multitudes of devotees of both sexes bow the knee and offer the most costly sacrifices of property, health, virtue and reputation!

Near her is the bewitching and smiling image of WORLDLY PLEASURE, with the sound of music, the song and the dance--alluring the giddy and thoughtless to its orgies; and throwing the spell of its fascinations over the imagination of multitudes who go merrily to their eternal ruin!

MAMMON, the despicable deity of wealth, is there--glittering with gold, and offering riches to his eager followers as the reward of their diligent and faithful adherence. His liturgy is the cry of "Money! Money! Money!" His sacrifices are the time, the bodies, the comfort, and the souls of his worshipers!

Near this is the shrine of HUMAN KNOWLEDGE. This idol is only evil, when raised above the place of faith, piety and virtue. When thus exalted above Scripture, it is a deceiving, corrupting idol--the false goddess of a Pantheon of Vices.

Nor must we leave out the idols of FALSE RELIGION, the chief of which is Popery--the anti-Christ of the Apocalypse, "the Man of Sin sitting in the temple of God, exalting itself above all that is called God." This idol, taking the name of Christ as its designation, assuming the cross as its symbol, and boasting of an apostle as its first pope; enriched by wealth; venerable for antiquity; dignified by learning; decorated by sculpture, architecture, and painting; and adding the abysmal policies, and most serpentine craft to all these other dangerous qualities--has fascinated countless millions! And, notwithstanding the monstrous absurdity of its doctrines, the blood-stained page of its history, and its hostility to the liberties of mankind--is now putting forth the most arrogant claims, and making the most audacious attempts for the conquest of our country!

These idolaters have chosen their god, and are the determined and devoted worshipers of their Baals! They have hardened their hearts and seared their consciences.

They congratulate themselves upon their having thrown off all the weaknesses and fears of Christianity, and upon their being now enabled to pursue their Hell-ward course unchecked by the restraint of conscience. Duped men, blind, and boasting in their blindness--are benumbed in all their moral faculties, and exulting in their stupidity! With every tie cut, which held them to piety and truth, they account it a privilege that they are drifting unobstructed to eternal destruction--determined to be lost, and rejoicing that nothing bars their path to the bottomless pit!

"These men have set up idols in their hearts!" Ezekiel 14:3

"Their hearts were devoted to their idols!" Ezekiel 20:16​

Upvote 0