Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
FREE E-mail Subscription:
Grace Gems!

O, give thanks to the Lord!

(James Smith, "Sunny Subjects for All Seasons" 1858 )

"O, Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His mercy endures forever!" 1 Chronicles 16:34

O, give thanks to the Lord, Christian, for He has not dealt with you after your sins, nor rewarded you according to your iniquities! He has . . .
pardoned your sins,
justified your soul,
renewed your nature, and
given you a title to everlasting life!

He has thus . . .
prevented your ruin,
borne with your follies,
supplied all your needs,
guided your steps, and
promised to conduct you to glory!
His mercy has been ever great toward you!

"O, Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His mercy endures forever!"

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

We are not to forget the Giver--as we enjoy His gifts!

(J.R. Miller, "Morning Thoughts" 1906)

"The Lord your God will soon bring you into the land He swore to give you. It is a land with large, prosperous cities that you did not build. The houses will be richly stocked with goods you did not produce. You will draw water from cisterns you did not dig, and you will eat from vineyards and olive trees you did not plant. When you have eaten your fill in this land--be careful not to forget the Lord, who rescued you from slavery in the land of Egypt!" Deuteronomy 6:10-12

The people were going to a country which had long been possessed by a nation who had built cities, filled fine houses with good things, and planted vineyards. All these things, the Lord would give to them. They would not have to erect houses nor plant orchards of their own.

But the danger was, that when they had received all these things--they would forget that they were gifts from God--and would turn away into sin. We are not to forget the Giver--as we enjoy His gifts!

It is always a perilous thing to forget God. To forget any friend who has been good to us--is a base sin. But to forget God, to whom we owe every blessing--is heinous ingratitude!

"Always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ." Ephesians 5:20

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

My Beloved is mine--and I am His!

(James Smith)

"My Beloved is mine--and I am His!" Song of Solomon 2:16

"My Beloved is mine!" He is . . .
the Savior in whom I believe and trust;
the Husband whom I reverence and love;
the Lord whom I adore and obey;
the portion on which I live; and
the beloved One upon whom my heart and affections are set.

"And I am His!"
He chose me--or I would have never chosen Him.

He redeemed me--or I would have still been Satan's slave.

He called me--or I would have still been wandering from God.

He sanctified me--or I would have still been vile and polluted.

He manifested Himself to me--or I would have never seen His glory.

"I am His!"
I am His spouse.

I am His portion.

I am His delight.

I am His choice out of all worlds.

I am His glorious crown!

"My Beloved is mine--and I am His!" Song of Solomon 2:16

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

I know their sorrows!

(James Smith, "The Pastor's Evening Visit")

"For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are" Hebrews 4:15

"I know their sorrows!" Exodus 3:7

The Lord is acquainted with all the sorrows of all His people. We do not suffer unnoticed. He sympathizes with us--and will sanctify sorrow to us. When we suffer--Jesus sympathizes!

Beloved, He knows our sorrows, and He will be our Comforter. Let us lay them before Him. He will be gracious unto us at the voice of our cry. When He hears--He will answer. He is touched with the feeling of our infirmities. He once suffered--He was "The Man of Sorrows, and familiar with suffering." He is able to support us who now suffer.

His sorrows are ended--and ours will be over soon! Weeping may endure for a night--but joy comes in the morning! We shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away. We shall enter into His joy, be filled with His love, and so be forever with Him!

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain!" Revelation 21:4

O Jesus! Do not allow me to dwell on my sorrows--but direct my heart into Your love!

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

My eyes are always on the Lord!

(James Smith, "Comfort for Christians!")

"My eyes are always on the Lord!" Psalm 25:15

The Lord directs us to look to Him for all that we need--and look away from all that we fear and all that troubles us. Looking to man dishonors the Lord--and ends in disappointment. Looking to ourselves fills us with gloom, sadness, doubts, and fears. It was wise, therefore, of the Psalmist to keep his eyes fixed steadily and habitually on the Lord.

Beloved! In all your sufferings, let your eyes be ever on the Lord. Look to Him . . .
for ease in pain,
for strength in weakness,
for comfort in sorrow,
and for relief in distress.
Keep your eye fixed on Him as your Father and your God--who has pledged in His Word to do you good.

Friends may fail you, relatives may neglect or be unkind to you, and those you love most may be unable to help you--but look to the Lord! He will never fail you or neglect you. He will prove Himself both able and willing to help you.

Let nothing divert your attention, then, from the Lord--but carry everything to Him and exercise implicit confidence in Him.

Cast on Him every care,
commit to Him every work,
lay before Him every difficulty.
You will prove that He is not only able, but also willing to do "infinitely more than we might ask or think!" Ephesians 3:20.

Whenever Satan tempts you, or guilty fears torment you--turn your eyes to Calvary and see Jesus, your Savior--suffering, bleeding, and dying for you--and so you will enjoy peace.

Lord, help me to look to You for all my direction in life, so that I might not be led astray by my deceitful heart. Let me praise You and bring glory to Your Name every moment of my life!

"My eyes are fixed on You, O Sovereign Lord!" Psalm 141:8

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

Sweet subject!

(The following is an excerpt from the diary of James Smith)

"Therefore, He is always able to save those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to intercede for them!" Hebrews 7:25

April 19, 1857.
I have today been preaching on the intercession of Jesus. Sweet subject! Our great High Priest appears in the presence of God--for us! He pleads our cause, and will carry it against all our foes. He sends the Comforter--to teach, sanctify, and console us. He employs Providence--to guide, guard, and provide for us. He will never rest until He introduces us to His Father, "as a glorious church without a spot or wrinkle or any other blemish--but holy and without fault!"

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

We will wear crowns of life and glory!

(J. R. Miller, "Life's Byways and Waysides")

"Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law, by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree." Galatians 3:13

Christ has redeemed us!

All our hopes--come out of His sacrifice for us!

All our joys--come from the cup of His sorrow!

All our peace--comes from His anguish!

We will wear crowns of life and glory--because He wore a crown of thorns!

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

Christ's love-letters

(Charles Spurgeon)

"The Scriptures point to Me!" John 5:39

Jesus Christ is the Alpha and Omega of the Bible. He is the constant theme of its sacred pages; from first to last--they testify of Him!
We catch a glimpse of Him in the promise of the woman's seed;
we see Him typified in the ark of Noah;
we walk with Abraham, as He sees Messiah's day;
we dwell in the tents of Isaac and Jacob, feeding upon the gracious promise;
we hear the venerable Israel talking of the coming Shiloh; and
in the numerous types of the law, we find the Redeemer abundantly foreshadowed.
Prophets and kings, priests and preachers, all look one way--they all stand as the cherubim did over the ark--desiring to look within, and to read the mystery of God's great atoning sacrifice!

Still more manifestly in the New Testament we find our Lord--the one pervading subject. It is not a single gem here and there, or dust of gold thinly scattered--but here you stand upon a solid floor of gold; for the whole substance of the New Testament is Jesus crucified, and even its closing sentence is bejewelled with the Redeemer's name!

We should always read Scripture in this light--we should consider the Word to be as a mirror, into which Christ looks down from heaven. And then we, looking into it, see His face reflected as in a mirror--darkly, it is true--but still in such a way as to be a blessed preparation for seeing Him--as we shall see Him face to face!

This volume contains Christ's love-letters to us, perfumed by His love. These pages are the garments of our King, and they all smell of myrrh, and aloes, and cassia. Scripture is the royal chariot in which Jesus rides, and it is paved with love for His children. The Scriptures are the swaddling bands of the holy child Jesus--unroll them and you find your Savior!

The quintessence of the Word of God--is Christ!

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

We blunder and stumble in our holiest endeavors

(J. R. Miller, "Life's Byways and Waysides")

"David served his own generation by the will of God." Acts 13:36

It gives dignity and also sacredness to our life--to be serving our generation. Every true-hearted Christian, realizing this truth, seeks to work out God's will in his own character and life. Of course, we cannot do this perfectly, for nothing human is perfect. The artist fails to put all his vision, into his picture.

In all our life we do, even at our best--but a little of the beautiful work we intend and plan. We blunder and stumble in our holiest endeavors. Our clumsy hands mar the lovely ideals which our soul envisions. We set out in the morning with high resolves--but our evening confessions tell of many a shortcoming. We never live any day--as well as we know we should live.

Yet there is a sense in which, without attaining perfection, a Christian may fulfill God's plan for himself. One of the most interesting illustrations of such a life is David's. The Lord says, "I have found David, the son of Jesse, a man after My own heart, who shall fulfill all My will." Then in another sentence, we catch the secret of this life which was so complete. We are told that "David served his own generation by the will of God." It is worth our while to look closely at this inspired description of a life which so pleased God--in order that we may learn how to work out the divine will for ourselves.

David "served". Serving is not a favorite word. We naturally resent the idea of serving. It seems to have an ignoble meaning. But really, it is one of the most royal of words. One who has not begun to serve--has not begun to live a godly life! God never yet made a life for selfishness. Jesus came to show us the perfect divine ideal of human living--and He served unto the very uttermost. "I came not to be served--but to serve," was His own declaration of His life's central thought and purpose. When they asked Him who was greatest in His kingdom, He said, "the one who serves." We are to live . . .
not to get--but to give;
not to be helped--but to help;
not to receive--but to bestow.

David served his own generation. Our generation is the entire human family living at the present time on the earth. How can any man serve all his own generation? There are hundreds of millions of people he can never see--how can he do anything for these? One way of serving our own generation, is to fill well the little place which we are assigned in God's providence. We can do most to bless the world at large--by being a true blessing to the little circle in the midst of which we are placed!

Another way in which one may serve his generation, is by giving to it something which will enrich it, which will add to its happiness and good, which will make it better, purer.

Another way in which one may serve his generation, is by showing it an example of godly living:
patience, under trial;
purity and uprightness, under temptation;
love and meekness, under injury and wrong;
and thus, be a purifying, uplifting, enriching influence in the world.

We say we are but little people, and can fill only a little place. We cannot serve our generation in the same large way in which David served his. Yet each individual life has its own distinct place in the plan of God, and each may fill out its own pattern. Even the smallest life lived well--blesses the world.

Every godly deed we do--makes it a little easier for others to do godly deeds, and lifts the standard of living among men a little higher.

Many people are oppressed and disheartened, by the seeming smallness and insignificance of their life. But we can serve our generation by . . .
lightening one burden,
making one heart nobler and stronger,
comforting one sorrow,
guiding one perplexed soul into peace,
showing one bewildered child the path of holiness,
teaching one tempted person how to overcome sin!

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

Transformed into His likeness!

(James Smith, "The Great Comforter" 1858 )

"But we all, with open face beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord--are being transformed into His likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." 2 Corinthians 3:18

The sight of Christ makes us like Him.

The Holy Spirit . . .
enlightens the mind,
directs the eye to Jesus,
points out the excellencies of Jesus,
and keeps the eye fixed on Jesus!
As we behold Him, we are changed into the likeness of His holiness, love, truthfulness, mercy, justice, and compassion. We become spiritual and Christ-like. Our humility deepens, our patience strengthens, and our benevolence becomes more pure and expansive.

Man by nature, is altogether unlike God.
Man by grace, is being gradually conformed to the image of God.
Man in glory, will exactly resemble God.

We shall then be like Him--for we shall see Him as He is!

O Holy Spirit, change me from glory to glory, until I am all glorious within and without, for Jesus' sake!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

My ruling desire

(James Smith, "Christ Exalted, Saints Comforted, and Sinners Directed" 1855)

My ruling desire is to be wholly given up to the Lord and to His work, and to show forth His praises from day to day. But when I aim at this most--I am baffled, opposed, and always hindered!
I see what is wrong--but cannot avoid it.
I see what is right--but cannot attain unto it.
I know what I wish--but I cannot enjoy it.
I read what God commands--but I cannot perform it.

In the midst of all, I bless God . . .
for Jesus Christ,
for free grace,
for a full salvation,
for abiding comfort,
for a good hope,
for sweet views of Jesus,
for a glorious inheritance,
for an assurance of victory, and
for the promise of eternal triumph.

Nothing can . . .
separate me from Jesus,
turn the current of His love from me, or
change the purposes of His grace for me.

His love is astonishing!

His ways are marvelous!

I change--He remains the same.
I sin--He pardons.
I cry--He hears and answers.
I ask for favors--and He kindly bestows them.
I fear--and He promises.
I wander--and He says, "Return."
I lament my folly--He whispers peace.
I feel poor and impoverished--He says, "All things are yours!"
I imagine that I am alone--He says, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."
I expect that He will abandon me--He asks, "How can I give you up?"

I cry, "Unworthy, unworthy!" He says, "You are My dear son, My pleasant child."

I fear I shall be overcome. He says, "No weapon formed against you shall prosper."

I fear I shall lie down in darkness. He says, "The Lord shall be a light unto you."

I say, "I can do nothing!" He says, "I will work all your works in you."

I say, "I am barren!" He says, "From Me is your fruit found."

I cry, "I am thirsty!" He says, "I will open rivers in high places, and fountains in the midst of the valleys, to give drink to My people, My chosen ones."

I complain, "I am weary!" He says, "Come unto Me, I will give you rest."

I feel dry and parched. He says, "I will be as the dew unto Israel."

I say, "I need food!" He says, "My flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed."

I fear I shall die. He says, "He who eats Me, even he shall live by Me."

I say at times, "All these things are against me!" He says "All things shall work together for your good!"

I say, "I shall surely be overcome!" He says, "Nothing shall by any means hurt you."

I say, "I am often left alone!" He says, "Lo, I am with you always."

I say, "I am all deformity!" He says, "You are all beautiful, My love, there is no spot in you!"

I say, "I shall see Him no more!" He says, "I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice."

I say, "Surely the Lord cannot love such a wretch!" He says, "I have loved you with an everlasting love."

I say, He cannot have chosen one so vile and base. He says, "I have chosen you, and will never cast you away!"

I say, "I am desolate and forsaken!" He says, "Your Maker is your husband, the Lord Almighty is His name, and your Redeemer the Holy One of Israel."

I say, "I shall be left to myself at last!" He says, "I am a friend who sticks closer than a brother."

I say, "Set me as a seal upon Your arm, as a seal upon Your heart!" He says, "I will make you like a signet ring on My finger--for I have chosen you."

I cry, "Remember me, O Lord my God, for good!" He says, "You shall be a crown of glory in the hand of the Lord, and a royal diadem in the hand of your God."

I cry, "Do not be terribly angry with me, O Lord!" He says, "I swear that I will never again be angry and punish you."

I say, "I beseech you, show me Your glory!" He says, "Behold, I come quickly!"

I cry, "Remember me with the favor which You bear unto Your people!" He says, "As one whom his mother comforts, so will I comfort you--and you shall be comforted."

I cry, "Tell me where You graze Your flock." And He says, "Follow the footsteps of My flock."

I cry, "O that it was with me as in days that are past!" He says, "Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, and come with Me."

I cry, "My soul is among lions!" He says, "Come down with Me--from where the lions have their dens and leopards live among the hills."

I say, "O that I was sure that Jesus loved me!" He says, "You have ravished my heart, My sister, My spouse!''

I say, "I moaned like a mourning dove!" He says, "Your lips, O My spouse, drop as the honeycomb, honey and milk are under your tongue."

I say, "I am exposed, and lie open to the attacks of enemies on every side!" He says, "You are My private garden, My treasure, My bride--a secluded spring, a hidden fountain."

I say, "Do not look upon me, because I am black!" He says, "You are all beautiful, O My love!"

I say, "How miserable I am! Not a cluster of grapes or a single early fig can be found to satisfy my hunger." He says, "At our gates are all manner of pleasant fruits, new and old, which I have laid up for you, O My beloved."

I say, "I fear that my numerous sins and powerful corruptions will cool the love of Jesus for me!" He says, "Many waters cannot quench My love, neither can the floods drown it."

I sigh, "I am feeble and sorely broken!" He says, "I will not break the bruised reed, nor quench the smoking flax."

I say, at times, "He afflicts, and counts me for His enemy!" He says, "As many as I love--I rebuke and chasten! I deal with you as My son."

I say, "I am totally unfit to be the bride of Jesus!" He says, "Oh, how beautiful you are! How pleasing, My love, how full of delights!"

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

Who touched Me?

(J.R. Miller, "Miller's Year Book--a Year's Daily Readings")

"Who touched Me? Jesus asked." Luke 8:45

The people were crowding against Jesus, and many people touched Him; but there was one touch different from the others. There was a heart's cry in it--a pleading, a piteous supplication. It was a touch of faith, inspired by a deep sense of need. It was not an accidental touch, a mere touch of nearness; it was intentional.

This incident illustrates what is going on all the time, around Christ. We cannot move without pressing up against Him. Sometimes in our heedlessness, we jostle Him rudely. But when among all earth's millions, one person intentionally reaches out a hand to feel after Christ, to touch Him with a purpose, to seek for some blessing, to crave some help--Jesus instantly knows the pressure of that touch, and turns to answer it. He knows when any heart wants Him--no matter how obscure the person, how poor, how hidden away in the crowd.

Blessing came that day to none in that crowd, so far as we know--except to this poor, sick woman, who touched Christ's clothes. It came to her, because she had a burden on her heart--and sought Christ's help.

Just so, in every company there are some who are close to Jesus, and yet receive no blessing, because there is no faith in their touching. Then there are those who are no nearer--but who reach out their hands in faith, and touch Christ's clothes--and go away helped, comforted.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

An unfailing friend!

(J.C. Ryle, "Able to Save")

"There is a friend who sticks closer than a brother!" Proverbs 18:24

Does any reader of this tract need a friend?

In such a world as this, how many hearts there are which ought to respond to that appeal! How many there are who feel "I stand alone." How many have found one idol broken after another, one staff failing after another, one fountain dried after another--as they have traveled through the wilderness of this world.

We need much comfort and consolation in a world like this. It is no easy matter for a man to carry the cross and reach Heaven. There are many enemies to be encountered and overcome. We have often to stand alone. We have at the best times, few with us, and many against us. We need cordials and strong consolation to sustain and cheer us, and to preserve us from fainting on the way as we travel from Egypt into Canaan.

If there is one who needs a friend, let that one behold an unfailing friend at the right hand of God, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Let that one repose his aching head and weary heart upon the bosom of that unfailing friend, Jesus Christ the Lord.

There is one living at God's right hand of matchless tenderness. There is one who . . .
never dies.
never fails,
never disappoints,
never forsakes,
never changes His mind,
never breaks off friendship.
That One, the Lord Jesus, I commend to all who need a friend.

No one in a world like this, a fallen world, a world which we find more and more barren, it may be, every year we live; no one ever need be friendless, while the Lord Jesus Christ lives.

Christian, you have a Friend who never slumbers and never sleeps--a Friend who cares for you morning, noon, and night.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

His all-seeing eye!

(James Smith, "Nothing Too Hard for God!" 1864)

"There is nothing too hard for You!" Jeremiah 32:17

There is nothing too difficult for God to discover.

His eyes are in every place--beholding the evil and the good.

Nothing can elude His notice, or escape His all-seeing eye!

All things are naked and open before Him with whom we have to do.

He approves, or disapproves--of every motive, word, or action which passes before His omniscient eye.

He discovers the true state of every HEART--though the heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked.
Every heart lies naked and exposed before Him.
He fathoms its depths.
He turns over its intricate folds.
He analyzes its dismal contents.
He is fully acquainted . . .
with every principle which influences it,
with every thought which arises within it,
with every word and work which proceed from it.

No one can hide his heart in secret from the Lord!

"Search me, God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting."
Psalm 139 23-24

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

If you saw Christ standing beside you all the time

(J.R. Miller, "Intimate Letters on Personal Problems")

Scripture says of Moses, that "he endured as seeing Him who is invisible!" Hebrews 11:27. That is, Moses always remembered that God was right beside him, his friend to help him--and this made him strong. He did not actually see God--but it was as if he saw Him. That is, he realized the divine presence in all of his life.

If you saw Christ standing beside you all the time--it would not be hard for you to keep sweet, to keep control of temper and speech. Well, Christ IS beside you--just as really as He was beside Mary when she sat at His feet in Bethany, or beside Peter and the other disciples as they walked together over the hills of Judea and Galilee. What you need, is to realize this fact. We know that Jesus is present with us all the time, at every moment, by day or by night. He is closer than any human friend can be to us. Indeed, we are to practice His presence--that is, we are to live all the time, as if we actually saw Him!

You must remember that Christ is always besides you, not only to see you--but to help you, as your truest and best Friend!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

The yoke of Christ

(James Smith, "The Easy Yoke" 1860)

"Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:29-30

The "yoke" symbolizes subjection and obedience.

The yoke of Jesus includes the subjection of the understanding to His teaching. We must receive the kingdom of God as little children. All that He says--we must believe; and all that He commands--we must do.

The yoke of Jesus includes the subjection of the conscience to His authority. He must be sole Lord of conscience. As cleansed by His blood, enlightened by His truth, and sanctified by His Spirit--the conscience must bow to Him, be zealous for Him, and maintain His honor.

The yoke of Jesus includes the subjection of the will to His pleasure. We must prefer His will to our own, and make His pleasure ours.

The yoke of Jesus includes the subjection of the heart to His love. His love must inflame, regulate, and elevate the heart. He must become the object of its highest, warmest love. Love to Him must rule our thoughts, words, and actions.

The yoke of Jesus includes the subjection of our abilities to His service. For Him, the duties of life must be performed. To Him, every power must be dedicated. His glory must be the end in all things sought.

Unless, therefore, we submit . . .
the understanding to His teaching,
the conscience to His authority,
the will to His pleasure,
the heart to His love, and
the abilities to His service--
we do not take His yoke upon us.

The yoke of Christ may be represented by the subjection of . . .
the child to its parents,
the servant to his master, and
the scholar to his tutor.
In each case, the authority within its proper sphere is absolute. Authority on the one side, and subjection on the other--are the ideas suggested by these relations.

The yoke of Christ includes . . .
allegiance to Him as our King,
reliance on Him as our Savior,
confidence in Him as our Guide,
imitation of Him as our Example, and
attachment to Him as our best Friend.

The yoke of Christ is EASY. Compare it with . . .
the yoke of Satan, which we wore in our natural state;
the yoke of Moses, as worn by the Jews of old;
the yoke of superstition, as worn by pagans and papists now.

It is easy, because connected with it,
for every trial--there is assistance;
for every temptation--there is support;
for every difficulty--there is help;
for every sorrow--there is solace;
for every trouble--there is tranquility;
for every loss--there is unspeakable gain; and
for every service--there is a rich and eternal reward!

"Take My yoke upon you . . . for My yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

Even our faults, our follies and our sins!

(J.R. Miller, "Intimate Letters on Personal Problems" 1914)

"We know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose!" Romans 8:28

We can put into the hands of God, all problems and troubles, even the things which have seemed hard and hurtful--knowing that there is a Hand which will so shape results as to bring out of all the tangles--a beautiful web. Even our faults, our follies and our sins--we may put into the same Hand if we are truly penitent, and leave them there, knowing that from these, too, some blessing will come to us.

It is astonishing how good God is to us, and how He takes whatever we give Him, even the poorest fragments of our obediences, even our mistakes and our sins--and brings something helpful and full of good for us out of them!

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

We are not ignorant of his schemes!

(Christopher Ash, "The Priority of Preaching" adapted)

"So that no advantage would be taken of us by Satan, for we are not ignorant of his schemes!" 2 Corinthians 2:11

Three apprentice devils were being trained by Satan.

"What are you going to try today?" asked Satan.

The first apprentice replied, "I'm going to tell people that there is no God."

"Well," says Satan, "you can try. A few fools will believe you. But the universe shouts the existence of God. There is evidence all around, and you will not do very well. Indeed, even in the secular twenty-first century--you may find yourself witnessing the slow death of atheism. Any other ideas?"

The second apprentice answered this: "I'm going to tell them that there is no judgment."

"That's a better idea," says Satan. "You will persuade more people of that, especially some of the clergy. But human beings have a gut sense of accountability--that actions have consequences. They know what it is to feel guilty, even when their therapists tell them not to. So I think you'll find it an uphill struggle. Anyone else have an idea?"

A third apprentice piped up, "I'm going to tell them that there is no hurry."

"Brilliant!" says Satan. "That is just what you need to say. You will have great success. Let them listen to the Word of God, and then whisper in their ears: This is good stuff. One day you ought to do something about this. But tomorrow will do."

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

The blessed man!

(James Smith, "Comfort for Christians!")

"Blessed is the man You chasten, O Lord--the man You teach from Your law!" Psalm 94:12

The chastenings of the Lord often appear severe--but they are merciful. They . . .
correct our follies,
subdue our proud wills, and
soften and humble our hard hearts before Him.

When God chastens--He teaches. The lessons are found in His Word--but we never learn many of them--until we go through the furnace of affliction! We often learn more truth from one short, sharp affliction--than we do from many books and sermons!

In affliction, God teaches us . . .
our own emptiness and vanity,
our dependence on Himself, and
the insufficiency of all our earthly things!

In affliction, God . . .
endears the Lord Jesus and His great salvation to us;
shows us the value of the provision of grace;
makes our consciences tender and honest;
qualifies us for usefulness on earth; and
fits us for the enjoyment of Himself in Heaven.

We need chastening. If we do not receive it--we become . . .
carnal and worldly,
light and trifling,
unsavory and useless in both the world and the church!

It is a blessed thing to be chastened of the Lord, especially when the rod teaches us such important and invaluable lessons! Chastened Christians are generally the most useful and attractive Christians.

"Heed the rod--and the One who appointed it!" Micah 6:9. Chastened Christian! Seek grace . . .
to bear the rod,
to bless the rod, and
to kiss the hand that holds the rod!

"Blessed is the man whom God corrects; so do not despise the chastening of the Almighty!" Job 5:17

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

The most healthy state of a Christian

(Charles Spurgeon)
"I am poor and needy--come quickly to me, O God! You are my help and my deliverer. O Lord, do not delay!" Psalm 70:5

The act of prayer teaches us our unworthiness--which is a very beneficial lesson for such proud beings as we are. If God gave us blessings without constraining us to pray for them--we would never know how poor we are. But a true prayer is . . .
an inventory of our needs,
a catalog of our necessities,
a revelation of our hidden poverty.

While prayer is an application to divine wealth--it is also a confession of human emptiness. The most healthy state of a Christian, is to be . . .
always empty in SELF and constantly depending upon the Lord for supplies;
always poor in SELF--and rich in Jesus;
as weak as water personally--but mighty through God to do great exploits.
And hence prayer, while it adores God, it lays the creature where it should be--in the very dust!

Prayer is in itself, apart from the answer which it brings, a great benefit to the Christian. As the runner gains strength for the race by daily exercise; so for the great race of life, we acquire energy by the hallowed labor of prayer. Prayer plumes the wings of God's young eaglets--that they may learn to soar above the clouds! Prayer sends God's warriors forth to combat--with their sinews braced and their muscles firm. An earnest pleader comes out of his closet, even as the sun arises from the chambers of the east--rejoicing like a strong man to run his race.

Prayer is that uplifted hand of Moses--which routs the Amalekites more than the sword of Joshua. Prayer . . .
girds human weakness with divine strength,
turns human folly into heavenly wisdom, and
gives the peace of God to troubled mortals.

We have no idea what prayer can do!

We thank you, great God, for the mercy-seat--a choice proof of Your marvelous loving-kindness. Help us to use it aright throughout this day!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.