Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
FREE E-mail Subscription:
Grace Gems!

I will deal well with you!

(James Smith, "The Pastor's Morning Visit")

"I will deal well with you!" Genesis 32:9

So the Lord promised Jacob; and the promises made unto our spiritual fathers--He will fulfill unto us, their children. But such a promise does not exclude:
great trials,
sore temptations,
deep personal afflictions,
fiery persecutions,
poverty,
disappointments,
and perplexity!
All these things may happen unto us--and yet the Lord is still dealing well with us. The promise secures . . .
the sanctification of our troubles,
the communication of necessary grace,
deliverance from all real evils,
the supply of all real needs, and
the satisfying of our best desires.

Is not this enough--to know that Jehovah will deal well with us . . .
in sickness and health;
in life and in death;
in time and through eternity?

This promise is . . .
Jehovah's bond,
the believer's plea,
the ground of the Christian's confidence,
a reason for contentment and gratitude,
and the cause of our enemies' confusion.

Jacob, though tried, found the Lord faithful--and so shall we! Let us therefore rejoice that our God has said, "I will deal well with you! I will make all My goodness pass before you. I will save you with an everlasting salvation. I will be your God, and your glory."

Gracious Lord, do as You have said!

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

And we ought to be content with that!

(James Smith, "The Pastor's Evening Visit")

"But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing--we will be content with that." 1 Timothy 6:6-8

We cannot really need more than food and clothing; and if God sees fit to withhold more--then we ought not even to wish for more.

But our food may be coarse--and our clothing very common. What then? If we have God's blessing, if we enjoy His presence--we are better off than if we possessed a kingdom without them! If God gives us no more--then we ought to believe that more would be injurious to us.

God either loves us--OR He does not. He either cares for us and provides for us--OR He leaves things to 'chance'.

If we are genuine believers, then . . .
God certainly does love us!
He certainly does care for us!
He certainly does provide for us!

He has . . . .
numbered the very hairs of our head,
fixed the bounds of our habitation, and
promised to supply all our needs!
He cannot have left anything to 'chance'.

Let us then be content with such things as our heavenly Father gives us. Let us learn to be content in every state and condition. Let us bear in mind that it is written, that "all things which pertain unto life and godliness," are given to us through the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. So that knowing Jesus--we may expect all that is necessary to a godly life--and we ought to be content with that!

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

Live at the feet of Jesus

(James Smith, "The Pastor's Morning Visit")

"And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to His teaching."

"But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part" Luke 10:39, 42

Let not the many trifles of time affect, distract, and bewilder you; but let the one thing needful be the constant object of pursuit and desire.

Live at the feet of Jesus--and you are safe.

Seek, above all things, to enjoy Jesus--and you will be happy.

Aim in all things to glorify Jesus--and you will be holy.

Look daily for the coming of Jesus--and you will be consistent.

Seek to . . .
know Him,
love Him,
believe Him,
obey Him, and
enjoy Him!

O Jesus! manifest Yourself to me; draw me to Your feet, and keep me there!

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

The great object of life!

(John Angell James, "Hindrances to Earnestness in Piety" 1847)

The great object of life to many professing Christians, seems to be to become rich. Their chief end does not appear to be so much to glorify God, and enjoy Him forever--as to obtain and enjoy the present world! Wealth is the center of their wishes--the invariable tendency of their desires. Jehovah is the God of their creed--but Mammon is the God of their hearts! They are devout adorers of the God of wealth.

"But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." 1 Timothy 6:9-10

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

This perfect pattern

(Thomas Brooks, "The Privy Key of Heaven" 1665)

"He who says he abides in Him, ought himself also
to walk even as He walked." 1 John 2:6

Oh that this blessed Scripture might always lie warm
upon our hearts. A Christian's whole life should be
nothing but a visible representation of Christ. It is not
only our liberty--but our duty and glory, to follow Christ
inviolably in all His moral virtues. Other patterns are
imperfect and defective--but Christ is a perfect pattern!
Of all His children, they are the happiest, who come
nearest to this perfect pattern.

"Leaving you an example, that you should follow
in His steps." 1 Peter 2:21

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

Love flowing out in little gentlenesses

(J.R. Miller, "Daily Bible Readings in the Life of Christ" 1890)

"I tell you the truth, anyone who gives you a cup of water in My name because you belong to Christ--will certainly not lose his reward!" Mark 9:41

It seems indeed astonishing--that God should keep note of such a little thing, as the giving of a cup of water to a thirsty Christian. It shows how dear to Him His people are--since the smallest things done to one of them--He accepts, remembers, and rewards.

The mention here of the giving of a cup of water suggests that this promise is for little, commonplace acts--rather than for great showy deeds. We are too stingy with our helpfulness. God has put His gifts of love into our hearts--not to be kept locked up and useless--but to be given out.

We would call a man selfish--who would refuse a cup of water to one who was thirsty; yet many of us do this continually. It is the heart which 'thirsts'--and the 'water' we refuse to give, is human kindness.

Kindness is just the word for these small acts. Kindness is simply love flowing out in little gentlenesses. We ought to live our lives--so that they will be perpetual blessings wherever we go. All that we need for such a ministry--is a heart full of love for Christ; for if we truly love Christ--we shall also love our fellow-men; and love will always find ways of helping. A heart filled with gentleness--cannot be miserly of its blessings.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

We have expected too much from 'the creature'

(Octavius Winslow, "The Lord's Prayer" 1866)

"Stop trusting in man, who has but a breath in his nostrils. Of what account is he?" Isaiah 2:22

We have expected too much from 'the creature', more than any creature could possibly give.

Who has not, in some instances, found . . .
their love fickle,
their promises capricious,
their opinions harsh, and
their judgment fallible?

We reposed a while beneath our pleasant gourd--and in a night it perished.

We nursed our bosom flower--and in an hour it died.

We leaned upon the strong and beautiful staff--and in a moment it broke.

We came to the crystal stream that had so often refreshed us--and, lo! it was dried up!

Alas, we drained the sponge of creature good of all its sweets, and it became at last aridness itself!
"My soul will rejoice in the LORD and delight in his salvation." Psalm 35:9

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

Ascertain what kind of a Heaven a man desires

(James Smith, "The Wondrous Love of Christ as Displayed in His Intercessory Prayer!" 1861)

"Father, I want those you have given Me to be with Me where I am, and to see My glory, the glory You have given Me because You loved Me before the creation of the world." John 17:24

Our eternal happiness will consist in our seeing, enjoying, and being like Christ. We have no conception of Heaven beyond this. We desire no Heaven but this.

May I but see my Savior in His glory,
may I but enjoy His presence and His love,
and may I but be like Him--and I have enough!
Anywhere with Christ--I shall be happy.
Anything with Christ--I shall enjoy.
Let me but be with my Savior--and I ask, I desire no more!

Ascertain what kind of a Heaven a man desires--and you will know what a man is. A sensualist will desire a sensual Heaven. Health, wealth, and freedom to enjoy himself--will satisfy a natural man.

Not so with the soul that is born again. He pants for the spiritual, the pure, the glorious. If, therefore, we sigh for holiness--if we desire above all things to see Jesus, be with Jesus, and be like Jesus--we are unquestionably among the number of those for whom He prayed; and we shall be with Him, where He is, to behold His glory.

O Savior, let me in solemn silence, muse on Your wondrous love, and adore Your glorious grace! O Jesus, it is my heart's desire that You should be with me--unfolding Your glory to me, and satisfying my soul with Your presence. O visit me, visit me daily; or rather, come and dwell with me, that I may fix and feast my eye and heart upon You evermore! I desire to be wholly taken up with You, until I am ravished with Your love!

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

The sum total of my experience is:

(The following is an excerpt from the diary of James Smith)

March 27, 1861.
Jesus is precious--very precious, to my soul. I love Him, rest in Him, preach Him, and wish that I could exalt Him a thousand times higher than I do!

The sum total of my experience is: I am nothing--but Christ is all! I am sin--and Christ is my salvation.

No one ever needed Jesus more, no one will be under greater obligations to Him, than I am. I am never so happy as when I am alone, thinking of Him, reading of Him, or writing about Him--unless it be sometimes, when I am preaching about Him, assisted by His ever blessed Spirit.

Jesus is mine--and I am His. I think I may go even further than this, and say as the spouse did, "I am my Beloved's--and His desire is toward me." O to honor His dear name more! O to glorify Him on earth, until He glorifies me with Himself, in Heaven! Anything for Jesus! Anywhere with Jesus! Thus my soul cries,

"Do not I love you, dearest Lord,
Behold my heart and see;
And turn each cursed idol out,
That dares to rival Thee!"

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

If I could but have my wish!

(The following is an excerpt from the diary of James Smith)

February 10, 1859.
More than seven years have rolled away since my return to pastor in Cheltenham, and surely I have seen enough to exclaim, "What has God wrought!"

Never did I love to honor Jesus more. Never was I more desirous to win souls. Surely the Lord will work for me, and by me more than He ever has done. He reads my heart, He hears my sighs, He listens to my prayers. His mercy is ever great towards me.

Now that I am getting old and grey-headed, He will not forsake me. I desire nothing more than deeper sanctification--more holiness. I do love holiness in itself, and admire it in others--but I want to realize its full, all-pervading power in myself. If I could but have my wish, every inward motion, and every outward action, every thought, and every deed--would be entirely holy! Well, this will be the case soon, for my God will not withdraw His hand from me, until I am as holy as He is holy.

Alas! Alas! how far am I from this at present. Daily I feel ashamed of myself--that I exhibit so little of the nature and disposition of Jesus!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

The soul of His sufferings

(John MacDuff, "The Holy Mount" 1856)

"The place which is called Calvary." Luke 23:33

Christ's death on the cross was preeminently painful. It appears to have been devised with savage ingenuity, to cause as much suffering as possible. Hence the vital parts are left untouched; the wounds are inflicted upon the extremities of the body, iron spikes being driven through the hands and feet; while the poor sufferer has to hang in a position which admits of no change or rest, and burning inflammation works its way gradually to the seat of life. It was doubtless a death painful in the extreme; so much so, that the strongest term we have for expressing intense agony, the term "excruciating," is derived from it.

But the outward sufferings which the Savior bore on Calvary were nothing, when compared with His inward sufferings. His bodily agonies, as great as they were, were as light as a feather, in comparison with the agonies of His soul. The sufferings of His soul--were truly the soul of His sufferings. But of those soul-sufferings, what can we say?
We may, in some measure, describe what was going on without--but who can describe what was passing within?
We may describe the derision of the Jews--but who can describe the desertion of His Heavenly Father?
We may describe the soldiers spear--but who can describe the arrows of the Almighty?
We may describe the nails piercing His sacred flesh--but who can describe eternal justice piercing both flesh and spirit?
We may describe the cup of vinegar which He tasted--but who can describe the cup of wrath which He drank to its lowest dregs?
We may describe the accursed tree on which He hung--but who can describe the curse of the law which made it so?
In such an attempt--language fails, how poor is thought, and how impotent are the most emphatic representations! Truly, His soul-sufferings are unfathomable!

Reader, would you have your heart softened, and your love inflamed? Go to Calvary, to gaze on the wondrous spectacle which is there presented. While so doing let your language be,

"Was it for crimes that I have done,
He groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity! grace unknown!
And love beyond degree!"

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

How great then, is the blessedness of true believers!

(John MacDuff, "Looking unto Jesus!" 1856)

God says, "I will be their God--and they shall be My people." 2 Corinthians 6:15. This is a promise in which every other promise is included. Sometimes God says to the Christian: I will be your strength, your righteousness, your deliverer, your shield, your reward; but these are nothing but modifications of the former.

Believer! endeavor to realize something of the blessedness involved in having God for your God. For this purpose, think of the representations He gives of Himself in His word. Think of Him . . .
in all the perfections of His nature,
in His unsearchable riches,
in His unspeakable glory,
in His omnipotent power,
in His universal dominion,
in His spotless purity,
in His eternal veracity,
and, above all, in His infinite grace and mercy!
And having viewed Him thus, you may venture to say, with unwavering faith and adoring gratitude, "This God is my God forever and ever, and He will be my guide even unto death!" Psalm 48:14. How great then, is the blessedness of true believers!

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

And will He feed His birds--and starve His children?

"Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?" Matthew 6:26

From the general care of God for these lower creatures--with what confidence may we infer God's special care for His people, who are His by so many close and tender ties!

Are the birds of the air fed? Do they find their food provided by a hand which they cannot recognize? Does He who gave them being, and who has assigned to them their appointed place in the ranks of creation, supply their daily needs, so that none of their species perish for lack of sustenance, but continue, from age to age--a standing monument of His providential goodness?

And will He feed His birds--and starve His children? Will He care for the one--and neglect the other? It cannot possibly be! The Savior refers to their comparative value, and asks, "Are you not of more value than they?" You are rational creatures, spiritual creatures, immortal creatures, yes, redeemed creatures--and therefore unspeakably more important than the birds are. If He then cares for them--oh! will He not care for you?

In connection with the above consideration, we may refer to the relationship which exists between God and His people. He is their Father--and they are His sons and daughters. Now a kind earthly father has it in him, as a natural instinct, to care for his children. His heart is set upon helping, supporting, directing, comforting, and blessing them. Such a concern has he for their well-being, that scarcely any sacrifice is deemed too costly by which that concern shall appear in practical manifestation. And if his concern for them should be repaid by nothing but ingratitude, as, alas! is often the case--yet even this cannot destroy his affections and feelings.

And if earthly fathers care for their children--will not our heavenly Father care for His? If they are full of concern for their offspring--then is it to be supposed that He, who implanted those kindly principles in their hearts, can be unconcerned about His offspring?

"Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?" Matthew 6:26

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

Tribulations, difficulties, and disappointments

(Letters of John Newton)

"Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is!" 1 John 3:2

Let us not be greatly discouraged at the many tribulations, difficulties, and disappointments which lie in the path which leads to glory--seeing that our Lord has foretold us of them, has made a suitable provision for every case we can meet with, and is Himself always near to those who call upon Him in His almighty strength--as a sure refuge, and a never-failing, ever-present help in every time of trouble!

Note likewise, that He Himself was a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief for our sakes. He drank off the full cup of unmixed wrath for us--shall we then refuse to taste of the cup of affliction at His appointment, especially when His wisdom and love prepare it for us, and proportion every circumstance to our strength? He puts it into our hands, not in anger but in tender mercy--to do us good, to bring us near to Himself; and He sweetens every bitter draught, with those comforts which none but He can give!

The time is short, the world is passing away, all its cares and all its vanities will soon be at an end! Yet a little while, and "we shall see Him as He is!" Every veil shall be taken away--every seeming frown be removed from His face--and every tear wiped away from ours! We shall also be like Him!

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

The cup of wrath!

(Andrew Bonar, "The Cup of Wrath!")

"In the hand of the LORD is a cup full of red wine mixed with spices; He pours it out, and all the wicked of the earth drink it down to its very dregs!" Psalm 75:8

There has been only One who has ever drunk this cup down to its very dregs!

Cain has been drinking it for 5,000 years and finds that his punishment greater than he can bear--but has not come to the dregs.

Judas had been drinking it for some 2000 years, often crying out with a groan that shakes Hell, "Oh that I had never been born! Oh that I had never seen or heard of the Lord Jesus Christ!" But he has not reached the dregs.

The fallen angels have not come near the dregs--for they have not arrived at the judgment of the Great Day.

The only One who has taken, tasted, drunk, and wrung out the bitterest of the bitter dregs--has been the Judge Himself, the Lord Jesus!

You know how often, when on earth, He spoke of it. "Are you able to drink the cup that I shall drink of?" (Matthew 20:22). "The cup which My Father has given Me, shall I not drink it?" (John 18:11).

The universe saw Him with it at His lips. It was our cup of trembling; the cup in which the wrath due to His people was mixed. What wrath, what woe! A few drops made Him cry, "Now is my soul deeply troubled!" In the garden, the sight of it wrung out the strange, mysterious words, "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even unto death!" Though God-man, He staggered at what He saw, and went on trembling.

The next day, on Calvary, He drank it all! I suppose the three hours of darkness may have been the time when He was drinking it down the very dregs; for then arose from His broken heart, the wail which so appealed to the heart of the Father, "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me!" As He drank the last drop, and cried out, "It is finished!" we may believe that the angels felt an inconceivable relief--and even the Father Himself! So tremendous was the wrath and curse!--the wrath and curse due to our sin!

Jesus drank that cup as the substitute for His innumerable people, given Him by the Father; and thereby freed them from ever tasting even one drop of that fierce wrath, that "cup of red wine, mixed with spices," with its dregs--its unknown terrors!

"Death and the curse were in our cup,
O Christ, 'twas full for Thee!
But Thou hast drained the last dark drop,
'Tis empty now for me!"

"Once it was mine, that cup of wrath,
And Jesus drank it dry!"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

That ocean in which all true delights and pleasures meet!

(John Flavel)

Christ is the very essence of all delights and pleasures--the very soul and substance of them. As all the rivers are gathered into the ocean, which is the meeting-place of all the waters in the world--so Christ is that ocean in which all true delights and pleasures meet!

"Yes, He is altogether lovely! This is my Beloved, and this is my Friend!" Song of Songs 5:16

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

Abide with us!

(James Smith, "Food for the Soul" 1867)

"Abide with us!" Luke 24:29

So said the disciples when Jesus was about to leave them--and so shall we say, if we know the sweetness of His presence. When Jesus comes and manifests Himself, when He draws out our souls into sweet communion with Himself--then . . .
we enjoy a Heaven on earth,
our hearts glow with gratitude and burn with love,
we are filled with joy, and
dread nothing so much as His leaving us!
Then we cry, "Abide with us!"

Precious Lord Jesus . . .
come and visit my soul,
reveal Your glory,
shed abroad Your love in my heart, and
draw me into the closest, sweetest communion with Yourself!

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

My eyes have seen your salvation!

(James Smith, "Food for the Soul" 1867)

"My eyes have seen your salvation!" Luke 2:30

So said Simeon--when he saw the child Jesus. Yes, Jesus is God's salvation, and everything necessary to save a sinner is to be found in Him!

His blood atones for our sins.
His righteousness justifies our persons.
His Spirit sanctifies our natures.
His precepts direct our steps.
His promises comfort our hearts.
His peace keeps our minds.
His intercession secures our lives.
His power subdues our foes.
His providence supplies our needs.
His beauty feasts our souls.

Jesus is enough. Jesus is all.

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ!" Ephesians 1:3

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

What, O Christian, has God done for you?

"Consider what great things He has done for you!" 1 Samuel 12:24

What, O Christian, has God done for you?

He has blotted out your sins from the book of His remembrance.

He has regenerated you, and made you a new creature in Christ Jesus.

He has destroyed the enmity of your carnal mind, and shed abroad His love in your heart, by the Holy Spirit whom He has given you.

He has delivered you from the tyranny of Satan, and translated you from the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of His beloved Son.

He has, in a word, reconciled you to Himself, justified you freely by His grace, adopted you into His family, and given you a name and place in His house, better than that of sons or of daughters!

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

People who long to be rich

(Letters of John Newton)

An inordinate desire and attachment to the things of this present world, is a prevailing cause of a spiritual declension. Unless this evil principle is mortified in its root, by the doctrine of the cross--it will in time prevail over the most splendid profession. That love of the world, which is inconsistent with the true love of God--manifests itself in two different ways, as men by temper and habit are differently inclined:

The first is covetousness or greediness for gain. This was the ruin of Judas, and probably the cause of the defection of Demas. By the honorable mention made of him in some of Paul's epistles, Demas seems to have had much of Paul's confidence and esteem for a season. Yet at length his covetous passion prevailed, and the last account we have of him from the apostle, is, "Demas has deserted me--because he loved this present world." 2 Timothy 4:10

Again, there are people not chargeable with the love of money for its own sake--for they rather squander it--than hoard it. Yet they are equally under the influence of a worldly spirit! They manifest their worldly hearts--by an expensive taste in the articles of dress, furniture and feasting--which are always unsuitable to a Christian profession.

It is not easy to exactly mark out the precise line of Christian conduct in these respects, which befits the different situations in which the providence of God has placed us. Nor is it necessary, to those who are poor in spirit--and upright in heart. A simple desire of pleasing God, and adorning the gospel, will solve most cases of how a believer should spend his money--which occupy little and trifling minds. The inclination of our heart--will always direct and regulate our voluntary expenses. Those who love the Lord, and whose spirits are lively in His service, will avoid both stinginess and selfish extravagance. They will rather lean to the frugal side in how they spend their money on themselves--that they may be better able to promote God's cause, and to relieve the necessities of His people.

Misers, who can be content with the mere form of religion, will hoard all they can save--in order to gratify their avarice! Others will spend all they can spare--to gratify their vanity, or their worldly appetites!

It is not easy to determine which of these evils is the greatest. Perhaps of the two, the miser is least accessible to conviction, and consequently the most difficult to be reclaimed. But a desire for extravagance and indulgence, if persisted in--will gradually lead to such compliances with the spirit and maxims of the world, as will certainly weaken, if not wholly suppress--the exercise of vital godliness. In whatever degree the "love of the world" prevails--the "health of the soul" will proportionately decline.

"People who long to be rich, fall into temptation and are trapped by many foolish and harmful desires that plunge them into ruin and destruction! For the love of money is at the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows!" 1 Timothy 6:9-10

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.