Government's social distancing guidelines in opposition to the Word of God?

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟338,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
When it comes to gathering to worship God at local churches that is? I see this as a precursor to persecution coming to the people of God. I realise we need to use common sense in avoiding sickness. But the Bible says to obey government unless it directly opposes the commandments of God. And we of course know how we're told to not forsake the assembling of ourselves together etc. I'm just wondering if this continues, will people be thinking of this when they're told to keep isolating on Sundays or whenever the day comes when you and I get together. Your thoughts please.

My (Episcopal) bishop closed down all in-person Episcopal church services in our diocese a week or two before our governor made his shelter-in-place decision. The bishop was concerned for our safety, and the safety of the people we have contact with. Why hasn't your church made a similar decision? Churches don't have to wait for the government to tell us to do the right thing.

In our parish, we're making efforts to reach out electronically to each other. Our priest and the vestry are contacting members of the parish regularly via phone and email to make sure everyone's okay. The priest is broadcasting daily Morning Prayer and Compline via Facebook. We worship together via Zoom on Sunday mornings. It's not the same as in-person worship, especially since we can't receive Communion, but we're still gathering in worship. We're choosing, as Episcopalians in South Jersey, to keep our neighbors safe, without the governor having to tell us so.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,163,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When it comes to gathering to worship God at local churches that is? I see this as a precursor to persecution coming to the people of God. I realise we need to use common sense in avoiding sickness. But the Bible says to obey government unless it directly opposes the commandments of God. And we of course know how we're told to not forsake the assembling of ourselves together etc. I'm just wondering if this continues, will people be thinking of this when they're told to keep isolating on Sundays or whenever the day comes when you and I get together. Your thoughts please.
When you talk to another believer on the phone, or over the internet in any manner, that can be, ought to be, fellowship. When it's not, then we aren't doing right.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟247,305.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just got off the phone with my Pastor and after hearing things out I came to the conclusion that's it not time to be concerned about the topic I brought up in this thread.

What he said that I agree with is that the reason why the government is shutting things down is not to persecute the church but to keep people safe. I was leaning toward the pessimistic side of things. From what he said, even workers in the church can apply to get help from this stimulus bill that was passed. That goes to show me at least that this isn't a concerted effort on government to pin down the church in any way. I shouldn't have drawn that conclusion.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟912,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christians should have a "personal" relationship with our Lord and Savior first and foremost. It is God who allows any and all pandemics and the like to take place. He tests our heart towards Him. He is not so interested in corporate worship, He is more interested in a one on one relationship with us. We should work on that while we are by ourselves. There is much to learn and much to garner from solitude. We will come out of this more caring,nurturing,forgiving, wise and above all loving towards each other.
Do not fret over something you have no control over. Take this time to heed to His commands.
Be blessed.

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Temporal isolation because of health reasons cannot be seen as something against Christianity.

Also, I do not like preaching on streets. It does not fit into our culture and most people in the streets are not waiting to discuss something or to be preached to, but they just transport themeselves from work to home or vice versa.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟70,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Concerning the debate on how far you have to follow the law, I think that common sense would apply. I once worked with a mission groups and was encouraged by them to bypass immigration laws and stay longer than my visa would allow. As I prayed about whether to obey the country's law or my church superiors, I found myself asking if the law was just. Did the country have a right to it's own borders, to say who would come and go? Were there legitimate reasons for some restrictions? After I answered yes, I waited until I could legally return to that nation. As to assembling during a time of a public health crisis. Is this just? I would argue it is not only just but it may be an act of love not to attend church. Why? Because giving your neighbor or getting COV-19 is not an act of love. Of course, neglecting worship, not feeding the flock, not having a place to pray, fellowship or take communion is also contrary to love. However, for these things there are alternatives. Find other ways to keep the church engaged during this trying time. We know with certainly the gates of hell will not prevail against the church, so why is a temporary shutdown of the church building such a problem? Perhaps this time of shutdown is preparation for the times when worship is forced underground. Now some Pastor's of faith that fully believe in Ps 91 or other scriptures for protection might suggest that they are exempt, that God would not allow the virus to spread in their church. To this I would ask if they could protect the unbeliever or weak Christian that might attend and be out of fellowship with Christ? If the answer is yes, then I hope those churches have services.

Last edited:
Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

God gave us a brain and doctors
and expects us to use them.

For the (short) time being
most services are available online.

M-Bob

• Agree
Reactions: Kessa
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟309,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jesus taught us a way of life in loving all as self. Fellowship serves the institution. Action in loving all as self thus helping those in need during a crisis is following the teachings of Jesus and is far more fruitful than assembling. Theory falls short of actual hands on practice of the will of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kessa

I'd rather be a mermaid
Apr 1, 2020
Savannah, Georgia
✟9,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I think it's paranoid to fear persecution at this stage. Christians are obviously not being singled out here. The same rules are in effect preventing gatherings at mosques and temples. Even the usual secular gathering places like malls, theatres, restaurants and parks are off-limits in most areas. It has nothing to do with singling out certain groups and everything to do with making sure as few people die as possible.

Guidelines to reduce the spread of disease don't have to stop you from engaging in worship. Many faith communities are having services or other content streamed over YouTube and other platforms. I just joined a Koranic study group meeting over Skype and I know of several Bible study groups meeting through Skype and Zoom. You can "assemble" in spirit with people from your church or make new friends who share your beliefs on social media. To participate, volunteer to lead a lay service or head a study group, and that can make you feel more connected as well. I think this is also a very good time for solo study and worship. If you don't have a prayer routine now you probably have time for one. Please keep the quarantine to keep yourself and the rest of the world safe. Spiritual belief isn't body-focussed and I believe God wouldn't want us risking our lives for physical contact.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,869.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Boy I'm thankful we had a Republican President when this happened. I think this would be worse if a Democrat were to be in power.

But, I believe that switching to a virtual service is the responsible thing to do in these times. Congregations can easily infect each other without knowing it, and infected congregants can either be old, or without knowing it, infect the old. Therefore, before the governor ordered it, we announced that we were switching to a virtual format. Good thing we did that when we did that, because my pastor was diagnosed with the virus this last week. Big surprise for everyone, but he's doing fine. He would have unknowingly spread it to a bunch of people if we hadn't taken that step.

Upvote 0