Government loses faith in growth of religious schools.

uberd00b

The Emperor has no clothes.
Oct 14, 2006
Newcastle, UK
✟22,308.00
Faith
Taoist
Marital Status
Single
From The Independent.

The Government has decided against backing more faith schools, the Children, Schools and Families Secretary, Ed Balls, told MPs.
Mr Balls' comments came as he was being questioned on new legislation which obliges all schools to promote community cohesion. They also follow calls from teachers' leaders to abolish the 7,000 state-funded faith schools as a growth in their numbers was leading to "segregated schooling".
:clap:
I'm glad they realised this. "Segregated schooling" can not lead to any kind of cohesive society.

non-religious

Veteran
Mar 4, 2005
Herts
✟11,017.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So the government does a u-turn, what's new? I cannot wait until they are finally kicked out of office...

In regard to faith schools, I have no problem with them. I think parents should have the choice. My daughter attends a private faith school (my wife and I pay fees) and she is getting an excellent education.

Unfortunately segregation already occurs within certain sections of our society. These distinctions exist between differing classes and even race. Faith schools will always have a place in a society where people practice a certain religion.

At the end of the day (this is incredibly selfish of me) I only care about my daughter's education. That's why we opted for a faith school (Christian) and decided to pay for it. My daughter has a very balanced world view and friends that are both believers and non-believers. Most crucially, she is getting a first class education, whilst still maturing in her faith.

Upvote 0

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
From The Independent.

:clap:
I'm glad they realised this. "Segregated schooling" can not lead to any kind of cohesive society.

...because its previous approach has really united society! :sick:

Do you not realise that 'typical' schools are still faith based, they are just faith based for a secular society.

Upvote 0

uberd00b

The Emperor has no clothes.
Oct 14, 2006
Newcastle, UK
✟22,308.00
Faith
Taoist
Marital Status
Single
And they contain a mix of pupils from all different religions. Giving them an opportunity to get to know people of other faiths, break down some barriers.

In segregated one faith only schools this never happens. As if kids weren't tribal enough, we don't need segregation on top of that.

Upvote 0

Sinful2B

Dec 12, 2007
✟8,145.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
A child, born into a Muslim family, is regarded as being born a Muslim. From the moment of their birth, they are Muslim.
A child of a Christian family, that is brought up as a Christian, enjoys no less a fate.
The same would apply to any faith or creed.

I ask you, what rights does humanity have?
What rights does your child have?
What rights do we have to determine, barring common decency and respect of course, culture too, the course that another human being should take, no matter what our beliefs?

Positives are always better than negatives in this world, and I would have thought that it is far better for something to be making a positive choice about which direction they take in life, rather than a negative regarding what they consider to be a negative.

No matter what you believe, is it right to MAKE somebody else believe it, particularly you own child?

Upvote 0

non-religious

Veteran
Mar 4, 2005
Herts
✟11,017.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
[uberd00b]And they contain a mix of pupils from all different religions. Giving them an opportunity to get to know people of other faiths, break down some barriers.

Um.....most of us do already know and mix with other people of differing faiths so this argument is redundant already. My daughter has friends that come from a variety of backgrounds. She has also learnt enough about other faiths to form a basic understanding of their key tenets and culture. She comes from both a very culturallyand racially diverse background anyway.

This argument fails on many levels. Mixing with other children of varied faiths does not necessarily mean that they will a) become friends or b) learn anything particularily new, given that most children do not practice their faith in the classroom c) hardly discuss their faith in the classroom and finally D) want to find friends based soley on their religion anyway. So this "breaking down of barriers" line (yawn) has been around since I was a child in the late 70s/early 80s.

My experience is that children will find friends based on things other than what god they believe in....

In segregated one faith only schools this never happens. As if kids weren't tribal enough, we don't need segregation on top of that.

Does this weak argument apply to single sex schools also?

Tribal some schools may be, but thankfully our daughters school has an excellent record in every area, has passed OFSTED inspections to a very high standard and equips it's students with the right tools, education and most importantly, Christian ideals that will undoubtedly set our child up for a successful and very blessed future.

So I guess we're living proof faith that schools not only work, but when implemented correctly, work incredibly well indeed.

Have an ejoyable Sunday people :)

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm all for faith schools but can see (albeit disagree with) the government's stance on not wanting to fund them (so all tax payers are non religious, huh?). I did supply at a Catholic school and I thoroughly enjoyed the overal feel and ethos at the place. It was totally different to my experiences in a State school.

Like NR, we want our little one to attend a Faith school due to the first class level of education plus she'd also have the moral values matching what is taught at home in her school life. I saw an article the other week where parents are converting to a faith in order to have their children attend a faith-run school.

What perhaps this government should be doing is assessing why such schools are more successful than State Education in terms of exam results.

Perhaps they should learn from what is working in such schools instead of trying to eliminate them by cutting the funding so as to have a more integrated society. It looks to me that if a service isn't being provided in mainstream schools i.e. a solid chance of good GCSE passes at the end of a child's school experience - then parents will move their children into an environment where the kids have a fighting chance of obtaining that.

Upvote 0

Allister

Veteran
Oct 26, 2004
Cornwall, United Kingdom
✟16,959.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I am 100% opposed to faith schools. A school should teach children about the world, so therefore it should teach religion, all religion, in religious classes, but that's as far as it goes.

I didn't go to a faith school, although we did have Christians coming in to assembly now and then to hand out Bibles, but no one really cared for them. In a faith school how does the religion influence science, history, geography, social, art, and other studies?

I find faith school worrying in the same way I would find political schools worrying. Imagine a Communist school or a Fascist school. The idea is repulsive.

Upvote 0

Cjwinnit

Advocatus Diaboli (Retired)
Jun 28, 2004
England.
✟18,928.00
Faith
Anglican
The money thing I don't understand. The money for a education is to be spent on furthering a child's educational development, not for furthering a state agenda. Besides, if the parents are to decide where their children are to be educated and the school is registered with the state, does the government have any reason to refuse?

Upvote 0

Athene

Grammatically incorrect
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
✟42,546.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Professor Alan Smithers, director of the Centre for Education and Employment at the University of Buckingham, said it had been wrong to argue that church-school pupils did better in exams because of a religious ethos. It was because they could be more selective on admissions, he said.

Ding ding ding we have a winner,

I'm not for or against faith schools, but I do think they should not be allowed to skim off the cream of the crop amongst potential applicants. With regards to secondary schools, tf you don't live in the catchment area and your child is not amongst the top children then you don't stand much chance of getting your child into a faith school, on the other hand if your child is very bright ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

non-religious

Veteran
Mar 4, 2005
Herts
✟11,017.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
[Athene]Ding ding ding we have a winner,

I'm not for or against faith schools, but I do think they should not be allowed to skim off the cream of the crop amongst potential applicants. With regards to secondary schools, tf you don't live in the catchment area and your child is not amongst the top children then you don't stand much chance of getting your child into a faith school, on the other hand if your child is very bright ...

I agree :) (although I probably have a bias towards faith schools, given that my daughter attends an excellent one)

Upvote 0

non-religious

Veteran
Mar 4, 2005
Herts
✟11,017.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
[Allister]
I find faith school worrying in the same way I would find political schools worrying. Imagine a Communist school or a Fascist school. The idea is repulsive.

Oh dear....... :doh:

I really cannot be bothered, you and sin2 are just way too easy..

Upvote 0

Allister

Veteran
Oct 26, 2004
Cornwall, United Kingdom
✟16,959.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Oh dear....... :doh:

That remains to be seen. But please if you can't be bothered to actually write a proper response please keep your thoughts to yourself.

Upvote 0

Cjwinnit

Advocatus Diaboli (Retired)
Jun 28, 2004
England.
✟18,928.00
Faith
Anglican
I don't have a problem with faith schools. As long as the people of that faith pay for it. I don't see why my tax should pay for someone else's religious indoctrination.

I think the idea is along the lines of "Someone else paid for your education so it's right you pay for the next generation", and the best-placed people to know how to educate their kids are the parents.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
and the best-placed people to know how to educate their kids are the parents

If my parents had had their way I'd never have gone to university. So sorry I disagree.

Also, I'd frankly rather have children who can question accepted opinion (including their parents') than a bunch of pod people who do and think exactly like they're told to.

Upvote 0

SandbachSteve

Nov 21, 2007
Sandbach
✟7,711.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
In a way Christian schools do not bother me BUT Muslim schools would bother me a little. Faith schools can be OK as long as they let in people of other faiths (or no faith). Otherwise it just becomes a Catholic/Protestant/Jewish/Muslim ghetto.

Personally I'd go back to the old days and have kids put into work at 11. ;)

Upvote 0

SandbachSteve

Nov 21, 2007
Sandbach
✟7,711.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
That remains to be seen. But please if you can't be bothered to actually write a proper response please keep your thoughts to yourself.

Why not keep your thoughts to yourself? This is a Christian forum. You can express your views but you are being fascist yourself telling people who can and can't post!!

Upvote 0

Allister

Veteran
Oct 26, 2004
Cornwall, United Kingdom
✟16,959.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Why not keep your thoughts to yourself?

I do, mostly. But I will offer my opinions and discuss and debate with people when and where I choose.

This is a Christian forum.

Yes, it is. And one that openly and actively allows people of other or no faiths to participate. Just like the schools you mentioned...

Faith schools can be OK as long as they let in people of other faiths (or no faith). Otherwise it just becomes a Catholic/Protestant/Jewish/Muslim ghetto.

You can express your views but you are being fascist yourself telling people who can and can't post!!

Fascist, a bit extreme!

Besides, I have no problem with "NoneReligious" and his opinions, in fact, I often agree with his points more than disagree with them, however in reference to my remarks it was aimed at his flippancy and arrogance... here...

Upvote 0